Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

My suggestion is that you take your time on this project and look at the actions and actions on rifles that you see. Look not only at what your smith has but at gunshops, shows and the range.

In my view the Rem. 721/722 series and later the 700's have been made as cheap as possible. However the design is ok for getting the assembly straight and square.

Where the 700 design fall short is on aesthetics, function, quality and pride of ownership.

Just look at the bolt face of one with its cheap parts and lack of CRF function. The tacked on bolt lug section, the tacked on bolt handles, the junk safety system.......

Some of the little Sako's have been made really well and there are small mausers out there as well along with falling block single shots. Even a Kimber at least has the design even though they have a screw machine product look to some extent.

Here is a classic made by the late Floyd Butler. I will put this rifle up against any Rem. (700) ever made for desirability.

[Linked Image]

S99

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Liking the sound of this rig! Great chambering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Where the 700 design fall short is on aesthetics, function, quality and pride of ownership.

Just look at the bolt face of one with its cheap parts and lack of CRF function. The tacked on bolt lug section, the tacked on bolt handles, the junk safety system.......

Who the F are you to say what instills pride in another man?

I'd be way more prideful of a 700 I built myself than I would be for that fine falling block bought off the shelf.

Hell, I'm more proud of my Savage 111 than I am over any 10 rifles bought off the shelf.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a thing wrong with either Bob.
Sakos do have an appeal all there own.
Garcia era Sako actions are smooth as silk and excellant.
If your planning on running a hubble, then I'd check out what type of scope mounts you can get for the Sako.
Its going to be limited compared to the 700.
Parts wise, smith wise, and other wise 700s are the Harley Davidson of the rifle action crowd.
No real limit to aftermarket parts and everyone works on them.

Classic stocks are great for hiding recoil.But a 6XC isnt going to kick you enough to matter.If you like the classic pattern then by all mean have at it.But for someone like myself,..im 6'6" ..rather large...The classic stock is built for little people with little tiny hands and no necks.
I perfer the McMillian general purpose HTG...GP/HTG.It can be ordered in edge... bondo patch I have one thats very light.

Just about all my chuck guns have McMillian HBR stocks on them.HBR stands for hunter bench rest.
[Linked Image]
The rifle above is a 17 Mach IV with a Shilen #5.The forend is 2.25 wide and is flat for riding a sand bag.
If your going to be spending time on the bench with your 6XC this might not be a bad way to go.They will hang with full on BR rigs off a bench.
[Linked Image]
Never had a problem with them in the field.
[Linked Image]
Keep us posted Bob.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pacecars
Rem 700 in either the Classic or the McMillan Sporter

That is how I would go as well.

I am as you know in the minority that much prefers the Sporter to the Classic. The more open grip fits me better, and I like the pear shaped foreend as compared to the squarish design of the Classic. With that contour barrel I would go standard fill.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Bob,

My suggestion is that you take your time on this project and look at the actions and actions on rifles that you see. Look not only at what your smith has but at gunshops, shows and the range.

In my view the Rem. 721/722 series and later the 700's have been made as cheap as possible. However the design is ok for getting the assembly straight and square.

Some of the little Sako's have been made really well and there are small mausers out there as well along with falling block single shots. Even a Kimber at least has the design even though they have a screw machine product look to some extent.

Here is a classic made by the late Floyd Butler. I will put this rifle up against any Rem. (700) ever made for desirability.

[Linked Image]

S99

AGAIN......you offer absolutely nothing to this thread!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go Ruger with a tang saftey

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Bob,

Think trigger, fast locktime, cylindrical bedding surface, bases with 20 MOA of downhill for extended range. cool

That'd be the way I'd be thinking as well. Order the Jewell and get it done!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Run the bolt on both and you will pick the Sako....

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
WOW!

Guys thanks for all the great advise! Isn't until you do a build like this you realize how much knowledge there is on here!

Geeez my head is spinning! grin Lots to think about.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[Linked Image]

Man, I like that stock!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'd go Remington with a McMillan Compact pattern stock, if that barrel contour will fit; if not, the Classic pattern would be my next choice.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Of those two to select from (Rem or Sako), I would choose the 700.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26367/Product/SHORT-ACTION-RECEIVER-BOLT

Another option, if you are blessed with bountiful resources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KDK
[Linked Image]

Man, I like that stock!

Thank you.
GAP camo in white gray and black.
It grows on you.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

You do know that the 6XC has the "legs" to do 1000 yard work ...dont you?
Just tryen to help ....

dave

[Linked Image]

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK
[Linked Image]

Man, I like that stock!

Thank you.
GAP camo in white gray and black.
It grows on you.

dave

Funny, looks like tri-color green on my laptop screen. Cool none the less.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bob,

Think trigger,

I am a huge Sako fan. have a few L579's , AII's (what exact action are you thinking about ?).
I am also a huge Rem 700 fan, the biggest difference between the two is the trigger Jewell does not make one for a Sako and the Jewell for the Remington is the standard.............

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
700 action and get a PT&G bolt grin

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob,

You do know that the 6XC has the "legs" to do 1000 yard work ...dont you?
Just tryen to help ....

dave

Yes Dave.. wink guys at the club shoot it, and tell me so. Only thing is I don't know where they shoot around here for practice. Have to look into that.My club only runs to 600.

I may have to move to PA..... grin

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Bob,

Think trigger,

I am a huge Sako fan. have a few L579's , AII's (what exact action are you thinking about ?).
I am also a huge Rem 700 fan, the biggest difference between the two is the trigger Jewell does not make one for a Sako and the Jewell for the Remington is the standard.............

rockchuck I think I want to say it's an "A" series(?)....I know it isn't a pre garcia Sako....one that came after that...I don't know my Sako's as good as I should....but it is a very nice action.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.