24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've now got me curious, what is your personal experience with the later Select 101s? What trouble are you seeing with durability and QC with this later FN production?? You are talking about an upland field gun aren't you, or are you speaking in terms of a dedicated clays gun like maybe a heavier 625??? There are numerous accounts of many thousands of of shells fired through these later 101s without a hitch, and what few issues are reported seem to be with the earlier versions of the FN builds, not the later.

I did notice that Browning has made an attempt to lighten up the heavier 625 12ga for field use with the newer 725. On paper it seems to be attractive for field use with its less bulk while keeping it steel with the 625 lock design, but I believe it's still a bit more bulky than the latest Select. Most feedback I've seen has the newest 101 12ga carrying and handling like the 625 20 ga. My current favorite field 12ga is an older Silver Hawk side by side which is light and fits me like a glove. When the weight of an O/U gets upwards to 8-pounds with high mounted barrels, I tend to shy away for hunting. On the other hand, a 12ga closer to 7-pounds with lower mounted barrels piques my interest. Not talking dedicated clays, just talking dedicated hunting.

I think everyone is open to some suggested options if you'd care to share.

Thanks smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know I'm anxious to hear from someone who knows it all.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I owned one that I won at a local shoot. Played with it for a couple weeks. Like I said fit and finish was pretty bad. To you that may or may not matter. Also what some think of good fit and finish may differ from others.

Shooting, had a bad pattern with every shell I feed it. Now I realize most don't pattern their shotguns. I do. 1oz White Golds had the best pattern which was not impressive to me at all. Tried some heavy loads out if it to see how it would do and things only got ugly fast. Had some leftover Gamebore Buffalo loads ran two boxes thru it. I wouldn't discribe the noise as a rattle but you get the jist.

Gun was tight out of the box but that didn't last long. But never got sloppy loose either. Then again I only shot about 10 flats thru it besides the patterning ammo.

Stock fit very subjective for sure but did not fit me well at all. I made needed adjustments which were major on the LOP and a glue on to get more height on the comb.

My plan as it was a free gun was to keep it for a duck and goose gun. I would have painted it flatblack. However I was really not impressed with it.

I understand a lot of guys grab a shotgun when its hunting season and thats about all the rounds that will go thru it. However I like to shoot and I shoot a lot of birds a year and practice a lot more. 20,000 might sound like a big number to you but in reality for a shotgunner that is nothing. However if that impresses you that is great. It didn't impress me enough to want to keep it so I sold it to a guy at my gun club. Seems it didn't impress him too much either as I believe he kept it maybe a month month and a half before selling it.

Have you taken yours apart? Pretty ugly machining on mine anyways.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Swampman1
I know I'm anxious to hear from someone who knows it all.

Not a know it all but I do shoot shotguns a lot more then the average guy. Less then the best of them for sure. I know what works and what doesn't. I don't put a price tag on quality. If you ask me what a good gun for xxx$$$$ then I will let you know what I think. But it may or may not be a pump, semi-auto, side by side, or OU. The lower in $$$$ the less likely it will be a SxS or OU. Simple fact that they cost more to make and regulate barrels. So the more likely you'll get a pump or semi-auto for a response from me. Some like to sugar coat things but that's not me. If that in your eyes makes me a bad guy or a know it all then so be it. Bottomline is if $$$ is your allowance for a gun do you want the best gun for it or a specific type action?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's fair, I now better understand your point of view. I'd be looking at no more than a 1,000 shells a year for my purposes. Keeping my eye out for a light and trim steel 12ga that handles well in the field. The newest 101 and the 725 have caught my eye. Looks like the 101 is running around 1,000 to 1,500 bucks, with the 725 running around 2,000 of so for field models. What say you in a 12ga O/U for under $2,500 that's not a heavy clay gun?

Thanks smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gary,

I consider MCH a good friend and I know he is more than a little familiar with good shotguns of all types. He has owned and used them and been around more than a few that do the same. He is one of the most down to earth, straight up individuals you will come across. If he is going to recommend something it will be from first hand experience or seeing what other experienced shotgunners have found to be worth spending your money on.

Fact is the Winchester 101 Select has yet to prove itself over the long run and I think that is part of where he is coming from. Myself I would much rather find one of the original Winchester 101s or one of the later Classic Doubles that are the same with a different name. You pretty much know what you are getting and that is a shotgun that has a history of dependability.

Good luck in your search. 12g a O/Us under $2500 that are not on the heavy side are not found every day. Heavy means they can make them for less. Making them light adds dollars quickly. However, some of the original 101s in 20g may be what you are looking for. Beretta and Browning both make current offerings in the sub-gauge O/Us that may also be worth looking at. Browning also made some O/Us with and aluminum receiver that will more than handle above average use.

A couple examples in 12g:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/90340832...2_ga_2_34_Invector_Plus_26_EXCELLENT.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97654403...ning_Citori_SUPERLIGHT_Feather_12_NE.htm

And one in 20ga:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93544195...WNING_CYNERGY_FEATHERWEIGHT_20_GAUGE.htm

Last edited by battue; 02/11/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Honestly that is a tough price point for a well made functioning double. I personally would wait and save a little extra coin and go for the Caeser Guerini Woodlander for $3100.00.

I have been very impressed with this gun. Have shot it for about 4 months now, its not mine but I shoot it like I own it! Have two buddies with them. 1 is a 12ga 28" and the other is a 20ga 30". Yes the 20ga is my favorite.

The sub $3k and under market is very weak in options in my opinion. If CSMC would produce a plain jane OU keeping it simple 28" and 30" barrels and in 12ga and 20ga with plain wood at $2500 or under they would strike gold.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow Battue thank you. Not sure what to say but that was very nice of you.

Now lets all just get out there and shoot some shells!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The original 101s are about the hardest kicking O/U shotguns ever made. If that's what you want then they are fine. I avoid Jap made guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The original 101s are about the hardest kicking O/U shotguns ever made. If that's what you want then they are fine. I avoid Jap made guns.

Seems to be a rumor that used to go around that I tried to confirm, but perhaps I'm just built funny and they kicked me pretty much the same as anything else.

Why no love for the Japanese offerings?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just don't like them. I prefer a shotgun made in Europe or the US.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Browning along with Howa rifles also?

Phil Bourjaily has been around more than a few good shotguns and on this tour of the Miroku facility found many similarities between the old world European ways and what was going on at the Miroku factory. I.E. hand fitting, barrel regulation and attention to detail.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...pan-factory-tour?photo=0#node-1001384352

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I still have an old 101 its never beat me up. They ain't pretty thats for sure, but seem to hold up well.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No use for Jap made Brownings, Howas, or Weatherbys. They may be wonderful, I just don't like them. I ended up buying a Beretta.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Super Pigeon and Grand European grades could often make one turn their head.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91777302...r_101_Super_Grade_Pigeon_grade_20ga.htm#

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93537997...ropean_Featherweight_Field_O_U_20ga.htm#

I let a Ruffed Grouse Society special unfortunately slip through my hands.

Essentially this gun, with much nicer wood.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93134180...AL_12_Gauge_Shotgun_in_Factory_Case.htm#

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No use for Jap made Brownings, Howas, or Weatherbys. They may be wonderful, I just don't like them. I ended up buying a Beretta.

I've felt the same about a few women and realized my mistake much later.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah but don't you also think a K80 is a good looking gun? smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nothing wrong with being a little stout. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Haha

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have hunted and shot sporting clays for years with both a 20 and 12 gauge in Pigeon Featherweight. They have 26 inch barrels, vented between the barrels, English grip and they point and shoot nicely. The checkering, however, looks like I may have done it, but other than that, extremely nice guns for range or field...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.