-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm thinkin of trying to file dovetails on a couple guns but as of yet I haven't done any. My gunsmith experience is merely parts swaps and polishing the innards. In my searchin I've seen reference to a dovetail jig that used to be offered by Wheeler but is no longer available. To much variance in barrel diameter apparently. But anyhow, I'd still like to try to file one or two myself so are there any other jigs available for this or am I stuck with free hand?

Next on the list is front sights for a single action guns, specifically a .32 H&R Single Six. Just can't see the sights like I want anymore. If I do dovetail this gun does anyone have a recommendation for a decent looking front sight?

Thanks, CB

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I had a reproduction sharps to cut down to Calvary length,i practiced on some round stock and some hex stock before i cut the one on the rifle.
They make a 3 cornered file that doesn't have teeth on one side for doing it by hand.
Just take your time and practice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, do practice on mild steel bar stock, the hardware store stuff. You don't need a jig, it's cut and try (who says the dovetail on the sight is cut precisely right anyway). Mine tended to come out oversize the first couple tries. And you can grind unwanted teeth off a common triangle file, just don't overheat the thing.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Chris Brice
Next on the list is front sights for a single action guns, specifically a .32 H&R Single Six. Just can't see the sights like I want anymore. If I do dovetail this gun does anyone have a recommendation for a decent looking front sight?

Thanks, CB

Is the 32 a fixed or adjustable sighted gun?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tony

Is the 32 a fixed or adjustable sighted gun?

Fixed Stainless Birdshead.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm actually gonna be cutting down a barrel on a old .22 and will use the left over to try a couple free hand.

CB

Last edited by Chris Brice; 02/05/12.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First thought is WHoA!!! Lots of practice and go slow on the final product.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's really not that hard, most of it is learning how to control the file so it cuts where you want it to cut, and NOT where you don't need to cut any more. The last part is what happened to me, then you get to learn how to adjust for oversize dovetails. Fortunately I was smart enough to mess up on practice pieces.

BTW, the adjusting for oversize practice came in handy when fitting sights on friends' muzzle loaders. Dovetails on the cheaper MLs seem to all be just a little bit different.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.