-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geesh, the season has been over only a few days and I'm already anxious for next year. Love the photos, by the way. Helps to relieve the monotony of the off-season. I've been pouring over some maps this morning, planning next year's excursion.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hear that...

I put in quite a few miles today scouting. My blood is itching already bad.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, wish I was still down there so I could get out and use the big nocs again and look around some more. The last month of the season was kind of a bummer. The weather sucked. Only had a few days of rain and the heat was brutal for a while. Kind of like last year. Last year during the last month of the season it was damn dry and warm and, the wind just never seemed to stop where I was at. Anyway, will be back at it next November.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also love unit 22....have got deer, turkey, and black bear....great area.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Desertrat
I also love unit 22....have got deer, turkey, and black bear....great area.

Can be a fun elk hunt, too.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunted area 22 in December many years ago...saw 2 very good deer and several smaller ones. Monsoon rains killed that hunt.

A couple years later hunted 30A just north of Douglas. I missed but my pard got a nice buck. Lots of illegal traffic in that area.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Unit 22, big unit, starts from 10 min outside my door, runs 100 miles north from the Salt river to the Mogollon rim --- 22 has alot of coues and muleys, on general principle, I'd say the central units don't produce the same number of bigger bucks per capita of the population as the southern units. My personal opinion is the central units have vast wilderness in most ---- There are plenty of big bucks but the central units require more scouting to sniff one out and much more year to year on what's available.

I like the central units and on a 24B kick the last couple years ---- 700 tags in Oct for coues and 25 in Dec, the oct hunt is almost a 100% draw and the dec hunt about a 5%.

I break the areas up to Four Peaks, Mt Ord, Mazatzal wilderness, North under the rim. Each are large areas --- If you are just looking for the best chance to kill a big coues coming from out of state, minimal scouting , 35B on the border is even better than 33. If you are looking for a packin/exploring type adventure and a for sure opportunity on a coues though maybe not a monster... the central units cannot be beat.
Kent

Good stuff here from Kent. I hunted Coues lots of places in AZ for many years starting way back when hunting in AZ was quite a bit different than the present - and Kent gives excellent current info here.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Orrrrrr..... Just hunt the farther south stuff, 36b, 36c, 33, etc and see more deer. Find a good area, and bucks will be everywhere. Saw 16 bucks one day on my december hunt. Most of them I would have shot in a heartbeat on a October or November hunt. One of them I should have killed on the spot but didnt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Orrrrrr..... Just hunt the farther south stuff, 36b, 36c, 33, etc and see more deer. Find a good area, and bucks will be everywhere. Saw 16 bucks one day on my december hunt. Most of them I would have shot in a heartbeat on a October or November hunt. One of them I should have killed on the spot but didnt.

Yeah, I made that same mistake, twice - once in Unit 32 back in '87 and again in the same unit in '02. Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when I had the chances.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76
Hunted area 22 in December many years ago...saw 2 very good deer and several smaller ones. Monsoon rains killed that hunt.

A couple years later hunted 30A just north of Douglas. I missed but my pard got a nice buck. Lots of illegal traffic in that area.

Thought those (Arizona's tropical monsoon) occurred during July and August .....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Thought those (Arizona's tropical monsoon) occurred during July and August .....
Most people who don't live in an area with monsoonal weather patterns use the term to describe torrential rains. During the period to which he refers, the southwest had a series of very wet winters which lasted from about 1970 to 1995. Some of these winters resulted in a lot of flooding and road damage, especially unpaved county roads and Forest Service roads. I was rained out on a muzzle loader elk and deer hunt in the San Mateos in 1984 when the remnants of a late fall Baja hurricane stalled out over us. In the early 1990s, I spent almost two months driving through up to a foot of standing water for over a mile to get to the ranch camp where I was living while my house was being renovated

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen

Most people who don't live in an area with monsoonal weather patterns use the term to describe torrential rains. During the period to which he refers, the southwest had a series of very wet winters which lasted from about 1970 to 1995. Some of these winters resulted in a lot of flooding and road damage, especially unpaved county roads and Forest Service roads. I was rained out on a muzzle loader elk and deer hunt in the San Mateos in 1984 when the remnants of a late fall Baja hurricane stalled out over us. In the early 1990s, I spent almost two months driving through up to a foot of standing water for over a mile to get to the ranch camp where I was living while my house was being renovated

I know, I've been hunting the Desert Southwest since 1978. Thanks, Mud Hen. Appreciate your input, as always.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mudhen is right on. During one of those I was hunting in the Dragoons (rather limited area) and the wind kept blowing the tent almost inside out, and I was drenched much of the time - finally had to get a motel room in Elfrida or some other little town in order to dry out. Nailed a nice buck not far from Cochise Stronghold area - but that was one WET hunt - especially for Nov. in AZ.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
mudhen is right on. During one of those I was hunting in the Dragoons (rather limited area) and the wind kept blowing the tent almost inside out, and I was drenched much of the time - finally had to get a motel room in Elfrida or some other little town in order to dry out. Nailed a nice buck not far from Cochise Stronghold area - but that was one WET hunt - especially for Nov. in AZ.

Yeah, it can be darn wet sometimes - as in swampy. It can get blasted cold, too, and a helluva lot of snow. And then there's years where it's dry as hell and hot. Gotta love it.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My brother picked up a pair of matching sheds in Unit 32 a couple years back and with a conservative inside spread estimate of 14 inches, we figured he would net 121+ typical B&C. The very next year the rancher found that buck locked with another buck and a large lion had killed them both. The buck that had dropped antlers the year before which my brother found, net scored 137 typical B&C. He'd grown 16 inches of antler in one year. The other buck that was locked with it, scored net 126+ non-typical B&C. The rancher has both bucks and the lion mounted in his house on the ranch. He also has several other 120-130 Coues bucks on display. It's quite the impressive sight when entering his living room.

A 137 NET typical would be top 5 I believe all time B&C....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I had a little bit of everything this past year on my 36b December hunt.. Started cold and wet, ended warm and dry! Weird year to hunt for sure...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My brother picked up a pair of matching sheds in Unit 32 a couple years back and with a conservative inside spread estimate of 14 inches, we figured he would net 121+ typical B&C. The very next year the rancher found that buck locked with another buck and a large lion had killed them both. The buck that had dropped antlers the year before which my brother found, net scored 137 typical B&C. He'd grown 16 inches of antler in one year. The other buck that was locked with it, scored net 126+ non-typical B&C. The rancher has both bucks and the lion mounted in his house on the ranch. He also has several other 120-130 Coues bucks on display. It's quite the impressive sight when entering his living room.

A 137 NET typical would be top 5 I believe all time B&C....

Yes, that's correct.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
So why didnt he have it entered if he had it officialy measured?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So why didnt he have it entered if he had it officialy measured?

He hasn't entered any of the bucks and he has several. He hasn't entered any of the bears and lions, either. He's not interested in that sort of thing. He did have some of the bigger bucks mounted, though. It's pretty impressive to be standing in front of a handful of bucks on the wall that score well over 120 B&C.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ive been in Jim Reynolds trophy room a few times, it is daunting isnt it?

any chance we can get pictures expecially the 137 net

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 68 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.