Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It works there too, and in shotgun barrels.

I just had another talk with Doug Burche the other day. Apparently a few people just don't read the directions, or figure they know better than the people who actually make DBC. A couple of people have apparently tried to install it in the bore with a bronze bore brush. Didn't work.

OK. I'll give it a try in a stainless Ruger 45 Colt Bisley that is rough with lead even though the throats have been reamed to the bullets I shoot and the barrel slugged indicating no barrel constriction at the frame. If it doesn't work the 41 bullets will be shipped one at a time. grin

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Sometimes it takes a few cleaning/shooting cycles before the DBC really starts to show its benefits. I'm betting things start to clean up better after you shoot it some more and clean it a couple more times.

Thanks

Yes, I suspect it will come around, I know there was enough DBC applied, I have never seen such a black first/ second patch before applying the solution so I know it is "doing something" different than a non treated bore...lol. I took my sweet time making sure the bore was clean, and always saw extra solution come out on the 2 x Breach to muzzle pull throughs. It is interesting how the solution is clear, but the litle slop on the bottle's threads have some gritty residue of I suspect the Ceramic powder when the bottle was re-opened several weeks after one of the applications, so the solution has the powder in it.

I can't wait to get to the "fully cured" stage.

Allen

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It is. The steel has to be completely clean and degreased for the coatings to work properly.

The one I had trouble with was a new unshot muzzleloader barrel that I went through the same steps, the one Mule Deer wrote, as my previous barrel. It just didnt' seem to do anything with the muzzleloader barrel.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a custom barrel worked over for my turkey shotgun that I wanted DBC in. Not feeling quite up to applying DBC to a 30" ten gauge barrel, I sent it to Doug. I got it back went to the range and "cured" the coating and pulled the barrel off to check the bore - it was almost pristine! I have yet to clean the bore through 3 seasons and it still looks like it was just cleaned.

DBC is for real.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mliang
It is. The steel has to be completely clean and degreased for the coatings to work properly.

The one I had trouble with was a new unshot muzzleloader barrel that I went through the same steps, the one Mule Deer wrote, as my previous barrel. It just didnt' seem to do anything with the muzzleloader barrel.

I recently did two non SS in-line muzzle loaders and am convinced on the bore coat end. you can certainly tell the difference on the crud ring end. Did the breech plug as well and that wipes off with a cotton cloth in 30 seconds, threads, recesses, and all.
The exterior coating concerns me a bit as like you say, you can't even tell you applied it. I haven't given that muzzle loader enough of a field test to tell if it will resist rust. Find it hard to believe it could work as well as weather shield or cerakote but time will tell.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I had a custom barrel worked over for my turkey shotgun that I wanted DBC in. Not feeling quite up to applying DBC to a 30" ten gauge barrel, I sent it to Doug. I got it back went to the range and "cured" the coating and pulled the barrel off to check the bore - it was almost pristine! I have yet to clean the bore through 3 seasons and it still looks like it was just cleaned.

DBC is for real.
I've not used DBC, but then again I've never cleaned a shotgun barrel either...

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Can someone point me to the thread with Mule Deer's instructions on DBC others have referenced? I did a search but couldn't find them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm a barrel cleaning freak; I'm certain I've cleaned barrels that didn't need to be cleaned. The answer for me is DBC. ALL of my barrels have been treated with DBC. However, compared to most shooters on here, I don't own an extensive firearm collection. I have a few nice rifles in 6.5x55, .308 and one in 30-378. I think someone mentioned this earlier; I treat my handgun barrels too.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's the instruction from the website per JB

Instructions

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have done 4 barrels ith it. The old stuff. Have some of the new formula, but haven't tried it yet. I like the stuff. It works.

I also reported a slight increase in velocity. They said military testing has now proven a slight increase also. So I wasn't dreaming. Not much, maybe 2-3%......

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It works well! I use a couple of wet patches with a 50/50 mixture of Kroil & Shooter's Choice. The Wipe-Out and it's done. Dyna Shield works very well too! Great product. Bought my stuff from Jordan Smith in Calgary...he's just as good to deal with as the product he market's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone have a link to JB's application instructions for Dyna Bore Coat?

HogWild
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by HogWild
Anyone have a link to JB's application instructions for Dyna Bore Coat?

Here, about midway down the page.

http://www.dyna-tek.com/Bore-Coat-Article-s/1839.htm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

HogWild
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Rooney
It works well! I use a couple of wet patches with a 50/50 mixture of Kroil & Shooter's Choice. The Wipe-Out and it's done. Dyna Shield works very well too! Great product. Bought my stuff from Jordan Smith in Calgary...he's just as good to deal with as the product he market's.

How long have you been using the Gun Shield? I got mine from JS too, and used it on a .243 and a shotgun. The .243 gets a lot of winter use and so far I haven't wiped it down after bringing it in from the cold, so far so good. The shotgun gets carried lots and shot very little during bow season, lots of moisture and abuse,so we'll see how it does.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cleaning a Barrel to Bare Steel

(Safety glasses and disposable gloves recommended)

The proper installation of DYNA-TEK Bore Coat involves first cleaning the bore down to bare, dry steel. Otherwise the coating won�t be sticking to the steel, but to the powder, lead or copper fouling.

1. Ensure firearm is unloaded and free of any ammunition

2. Clean out all loose powder fouling using a cleaning solvent and clean patch. Soak patch with solvent and push through bore and pull back 6 to 8 times. Change patch and repeat this 6 to 8 times or until patch comes out clear of any powder fouling.

3. Using a clean or new (this is critical) correctly sized brass bore brush, wrap it with a clean, thick cotton patch and liberally soak with JB Bore Cleaner. This has a fine abrasive that will remove fouling but not affect the base metal.

4. Run this brush/patch combination back and forth inside the barrel 30 times reapplying fresh JB to the patch every 10 strokes. The brush/patch must fit the barrel tight and should take considerable force to move it and to insure the cleaning compound is working. If it is at all loose, wrap another patch around the brush and reload it with fresh JB and continue.

5. Clean the bore again with a cleaning solvent and several patches to remove the abrasive bore cleaner.

6. Use a chemical copper solvent to remove any remaining trace amounts of copper fouling, following the manufacturer�s instructions. Normally this requires 3 cycles to complete.

7. Degrease the bore with 3-6 patches and either denatured alcohol or acetone and allow to dry.

8. The bore is now completely clean to bare metal and ready for the application of DYNA-TEK Bore Coat.

We would like to thank John Barsness for the excellent bore cleaning instructions detailed above.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think it's bullschitt of the highest order!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tag

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It works.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I think it's bullschitt of the highest order!!

Hey, you are getting old. LOL. But you fly planes instead of riding horses... LOL

LOTS of folks out there have used this and its got some benefits and no negatives...

Do you need to use it? No. But it sure hasn't done any harm and it keeps fouling down and helps protect my bore when hunting in wet weather... Really no negatives there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.