Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
Imbel receiver with Steyr barrel, Moses flash supressor, DSA handguards and grip, Rhineland carry handle, DSA aluminum para lower with all DSA internals.

Thanks.

How much does that weigh all up with the 20 rd. mag topped off?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not one to tell anyone what to hunt with or protect themselves with. It's your ass and your decision. Ditto for me. It's my decision. I've killed some big stuff with the M16 and wouldn't feel the least bit concerned with it in a DLP with a bear. However, I carry a bolt rifle and don't feel the least bit concerned with it in a DLP situation, either.

I have nowhere near the experience with bears as many on this board, but, they don't scare me as much as a nursing home. Ditto for muggers, and government takeovers.

I also don't have much patience for timers, bipods, or the newest, bestest bullets and their proponents. But, that's me.

Use what you want. I'll use what I want.

edit: this wasn't directed at UncleJake. My bad, hit the wrong reply button.

Last edited by mcknight77; 02/11/12.

Jim
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by UncleJake
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
Imbel receiver with Steyr barrel, Moses flash supressor, DSA handguards and grip, Rhineland carry handle, DSA aluminum para lower with all DSA internals.

Thanks.

How much does that weigh all up with the 20 rd. mag topped off?

UncleJake, it weighs about 9.5-10 pounds. That bipod is the shiznitz when berry-picking. I pick it up and carry the thing, when we find a good spot, I can set it down and we'll pick. Don't get more than 20 feet or so from the rifle. We live on the tundra so only a few places will have enough cover for a bear to hide. The sling makes the big difference for when we are in those areas.
You can buy 10-round mags, but they are very expensive ($70) vs $5.95 for used FAL mags. There are no restrictions on mag cap here in Alaska.

That caribou I shot with plain-jane Remington 180 grain SP. It didn't go far.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds about what I thought it would weigh.

I personally have taken a real shine to my Tikka T3 Super Light in .30-06. While I don't have a FAL, I do have a .375 that is accurate, balances and swings nicely,but is heavy, and with a few exceptions, I still prefer the T3. I also have a marlin 1895 that I use on occasion. Each has it's own little niche, it's just the T3 seems to have a bigger niche than the others.

To each their own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mcknight77, no worries, I do it also. laugh

And I also have killed a slough of critters with a .223 (albeit a bolt) and know what it can do in a pinch. Just not personally my first choice up here....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uncle Jake,

regular Williams ramp with a white blade - I fitted myself. Now wears a regular XS.

Take_a_knee,

perhaps Phil will chime in himself.

His argument for the scope is the need to dispatch fleeing animals as well.

In his tests - somewhere in rifle is an article - he found that from 50 yards out the scope wins - both for time and for hits.

Below 25 yards he found things a wash - as he puts it, only stock fit makes hits fast enough at that distance.

All this - IIRC.

Main point here should be -

action type and sight arrangement can not really be argued as final. What works for one person may not work for the next.

However - the strong preference for bolt actions and the absolute absence of semis in the hands of expert bear guides and hunters is a strong indication to what works.

I know a long time guide, that tested many things in his career - he is a loon.

He arrived at levers in the end - Winchesters and Marlins.

Not many agree. I do.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cmg
Uncle Jake,

regular Williams ramp with a white blade - I fitted myself. Now wears a regular XS.

Take_a_knee,

perhaps Phil will chime in himself.

His argument for the scope is the need to dispatch fleeing animals as well.

In his tests - somewhere in rifle is an article - he found that from 50 yards out the scope wins - both for time and for hits.

Below 25 yards he found things a wash - as he puts it, only stock fit makes hits fast enough at that distance.

All this - IIRC.

Main point here should be -

action type and sight arrangement can not really be argued as final. What works for one person may not work for the next.

However - the strong preference for bolt actions and the absolute absence of semis in the hands of expert bear guides and hunters is a strong indication to what works.

Not many agree. I do.

I agree with Phil. During my career, a Mauser action and a Leupold 1x at less than 40 feet has saved my ass more than once. On the flip side, the same Mauser action and Leupold has stopped a few escaping animals that were 400 yds out and more.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cmg

Not many agree. I do.

A lever would be my choice. ghost b/u with forward mount scope. very light, very reliable, I put 42 zillion rounds through my lever .22, so they handle naturally. I have no plans for big bear hunting, but a nice lever would be my choice.

Shoot what you want, so long as you are hunting and not trying a stunt.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

And I also have killed a slough of critters with a .223 (albeit a bolt) and know what it can do in a pinch. Just not personally my first choice up here....

Me neither, but it's better than a sharp stick.

Jim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mcknight77

That was the customary tradition with Athabaskans, back in the day, prior to contact. Apparently sharpened logs worked well, for them. Of course, that was a whole different scenario than what we have nowadays.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Then there's always the Armalite AR-10 with a 20" upper in .338-08 or .300rem saum. DPMS made some saum chambered guns also. Seen a few times on AKlist. Load the 230gr Failsafe.

Guy used to post on snipershide lived around Cold Bay and took moose, showed pix, with his .50 Beowulf. The .458 Teppo Jetso is another close range option. Also can custom build a .450 Marlin upper on the AR-10 platform.

Nothing against boltguns, more better bullet availability for .338 than .375s though. Was casting some 290gr .338RN this weekend. Pretty nice to have an AR-10 since they're pretty compact to carry taken-down into upper/lower components. Fit in a gym bag. The .308 will do fine on big Alaskan game with premium bullet. Even 168 BTHP from Sierra, Hornady, Nosler is very tough jacketed and will penetrate and hang together.

Nothing illegal about 20rd mags in the field or using match/BTHP bullets up here. AR-10 w/18 or 20" barrel and a good scope like NXS 2.5-10x 24mm w/circle dot CH reticle or 1-4x NXS if your area is all deep woods gives a lot of versatility.

Lots of bolt receiver designs aren't worthy. Even the model 70 pushfeed has it in spades over a rem 700. Better extractor design even for PF, and the better safety which does really matter also. Yet, an AR is pretty friendly for field servicing. Carry a spare bolt some other basic parts and you can be back in business where a boltgun may have issues. Pretty nice to have the integral A3/A4 picatinny scope base, or the A2 integral aperture sight that can be built match quality and still stay tough. There are several adjustable gas blocks out there if fine tuning is on your agenda.

I am kind of partial to Speer Grand Slam 180s in my AR-10 for woods walking, but 168 or 175 bthps would be just fine. Would not feel too undergunned with an AR-15 since I load 77gr bthp in those and have never seen one of these hornady or nosler bullets blow-up. They bend like pretzels when contacting rocks in my dirt backstop, but never see gilding metal pieces unless shooting lighter bullets.

Olympic Arms builds several WSSM based rifles and uppers. The .25WSSM or even a 6.5 Grendel or 7mm Grendel/WSSM could be a decent performer. Heavy jacketed match bullets, fast response low recoil/blast, and decent magazine capacity could be all you need to save your bacon or bring it home.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Nice pic Carl.

You guys (except maybe BB Guides) need more time on your hands...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was thinking in terms of the .308 since it is more readily available. I was also thinking if multiple shots like 2-3 would do more damage internally than one from a 338 bolt gun. I was also thinking in terms of two legged preditators and the .308 semi-auto as a good all-round gun.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've toted most of the mainstay MBR's,hoping to get chewed upon but could never arrange it. Having schlepped the gamut,I reliably come full circle back to a handy/dandy boltgun as a preference by landslide. Selfshuckers are a hoot and I've a herd,but for day in/day out use,gimme a boltgun.

I still can't get horned up over CRF,but much enjoy the ruses associated,if only because I've had 'em all.

In the end and as per always,boolits matter far more than headstamps and practice can't be purchased. Much enjoyed the Goat [bleep] by the Window Lickers talking about timers and the like,if only because that schit never ain't not funny. Haven't ever had to kill oncoming enrasged fur too much closer than about 5' away and the means was far less important than the placement and it's projectile.

If you are good,everything works...if you ain't,nothin' does. Now as to being forced to opt a mainstay MBRsolely ,I'd be in HK-91 Mode with a telescoping stock and 165X's.

Though I'd much prefer a svelte boltgun,of modest weight/length and of superb balance and wearing a 6x42 for versatility. Cheer up,when schit is in your lap you ain't using the glass anyhow and prolly won't have the rifle in your shoulder either.

Just sayin'.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you don't know what gun to use, how do you know what you are hunting???????????????????????????????????

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by mcknight77

That was the customary tradition with Athabaskans, back in the day, prior to contact. Apparently sharpened logs worked well, for them. Of course, that was a whole different scenario than what we have nowadays.

I might question the "well" part. As I recall, stick and string hunting societies were rather thin on the ground with fairly poor average life-spans.

It is why "elders" were so highly respected in all such societies. One had to be observant, smart, good at the trade, and just plain lucky to achieve such status. Nowdays, any damned fool can live to be an "elder". I'm living proof. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LAS:

That's funny. Yes, you're living proof. That's great. And, I agree with you in terms of the phrase, "... worked well, for them." and I should say that the word "well" is merely relative (lol).

Maverick

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
especially with a full 20 round mag with say 180g bullets? Just wondering.

No not enough bullets, especially if the bears are mating or in a herd. See if you can get some aftermarket 40 round magazines......

Lefty C

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
especially with a full 20 round mag with say 180g bullets? Just wondering.

No not enough bullets, especially if the bears are mating or in a herd. See if you can get some aftermarket 40 round magazines......

Lefty C

If'n you are such a puss you can't carry the same mags that little scrawny brown people around this planet have carried for a generation they do sell five rounders.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

The original international turd
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.