24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
how can I attach here some pictures from my hunting season ?

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You must open an account at www.photobucket.com

Upload pictures there the put their link on your messages on the fire. Maybe you have other options than photobucket but i don't know.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Browning XPO are not too bad! Try to put some sunny pictures on the fire to warm your heart and body a bit.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cool ... It's been nearly 3 years we're freezing without central heating at home, I need SUN !!!

Va t'in tch�re !
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

My season was more quiet than the former five years. Had hunted/killed to much the last years so decided to take it easy this year.

Was in Austria in december 2011 to hunt game, weather was fine and landscape fantastic. People were really kind too.

Glassing for gams.

[Linked Image]

Slope were step and we climbed to 2400m then walked up and down fron 8.30AM to 4.45PM. Shot a female 5/6 years old (the tag i had)

[Linked Image]

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

In october guided some german friends to hunt mouflon. Was incredible, we though we were in august with temperatures above 35�C at twelve. No water in the mountain, had no rain for 3 months.

It's not America but there is enough place to hunt...They shot 3 mouflons, not very big one, but it was a "take your chance game" because the heat transformed the uses of mouflons: feeding at night instead of daylight.

You would have like the sun, GV! But it was too much...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Season followed by a november trip to Portugal. I had promised a moose hunt in Finland to a good friend but was canceled for different reasons, so i managed to find red deer hunt in the north of Portugal. He took a smallish red deer (selection) and a good stag after more than 3 hours of good stalk. One shot from the 300Weatherby handloaded with french FIP bullet.

[Linked Image]

The day before i shot two "wanabee does" with one 338Federal 200grs fusion bullet. In fact we decided they were "brazilians" because they looked like does but were sort of males...Weather was changing with rain storms mixed with sunshine.

[Linked Image]

It's a place full of "cigognes"

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

In january was back in Portugal again where we had monteria and staking hunt in a region bordering Spain, the Tage river being the border. We hunted red deers, wild boars and fallow deer. I helped my portugese friend to guide german friends. The young woman i was guiding shot a very nice fallow deer.

[Linked Image]

During the monteria i decided not to shoot deer, only boars. No luck had only deers coming. Only shot one which was wounded. Rest of time took pictures.

Look well you see red deer does running from the dogs just in the middle of picture.

[Linked Image]

And another one.

[Linked Image]

In the gardens orange trees were loaded with best fruits i ate: not a single chemical inside or around. Real sweet, not nice but very good. We ate fantastic cheese (real one), typical portugese meals, fish, and had good wine.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Your hunts are still absolutely GREAT, Dom !

I never heared about portugese hunts, it looks like Portugal offers Nice opportunities (and sun ... grin )

Red stags are th� nicest games we hav� in Belgium but hunting is so expansive h�re it's easier to hunt plain fam�s in Africa.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 02/13/12.

Va t'in tch�re !
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Last weekend of january was in the Pyren�es, border with Spain with friends to stalk "isards" (gams from Pyren�es mountains).

Had no luck but walked a lot and enjoyed nature.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To be continued...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you all kindly for the pictures and the desrciptions. I have NO idea what -20 deg must be like.

Here we try and keep warm with OBS - Old Brown Sherry! Works for cold feet, cold ears and the bladder. Just kidding, we have OBS at night when we think it is very cold anyway but nothing close to what you have.

Do you have a wide variety of game?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi GV, was more tourism than hunting, as i told you, i put brakes on shooting this year, even if i put down some.

The following pictures are from the place where i hunt mouflon. Here the wild boars are not skinned but shaved as we used to do every where years before. The meat is better, smoother, tastier when cooked in "sauce" (daube de sanglier) or when you want to make salted or smoked ham.
first the animal is drived into wery warm water, almost boiling, for a very short time (5 to 10 seconds) then hunters shave hairs, after that wild boar is gutted and cleaned (note this practice is done when weather is cold).

Hunting is collective, meat is shared between all hunters, some is saved for old hunters or people from that very small village who don't hunt any more. It's tradition, coming back to ages long gone by. A thing most anti hunters can't understand or even imagine. We hunt for pleasure and for meat, nothing is waisted. Dogs get their share too.

When the season is over, at the beginning of spring, we organise a big feast, with children and wifes, eating products from the hunt. Every body bringing in its own specialty.

That close the season and prepare the new one to come.

[Linked Image]

Here a small boar ready to be shaved
[Linked Image]

this boar was 190lbs ungutted.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Pieter,

Depends on the areas where you hunt. In some parts you have red deer, wild boars, roe deers, mouflons, gams, plus small games and foxes, badger etc...Wolves is coming back strongly in France but totally protected as is the lynx. The "bouquetin" which is a big french Ibex is back every where in Alps but totally protected at the moment.
In other parts we mostly hunt boars and does or boars and red.
Red deer is increasing and pushing toward new territories south and south west of France.
It's not South Africa, Namibia or North America but we have enough to do.

Around 1100000 roes, 700000 wild boars, 45000 red deers, are officialy taken each year.
But for boars and roes these numbers are way under estimated for differents reasons...
In Germany they kill even more than that but we don't have same hunting laws and seasons. I can hunt from 1st june to 28 of february. Not all parts of France have the same dates of opening. Game is managed by hunters, state, ecologists, and lobbies are acting for and against hunt.

We also hunt small game. Here two woodcocks taken last week while testing the Beretta Perenia 20gauge for a magazine.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pieter, I had -5 in Namibia.

-20 is just ... 4 times colder grin

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Hi GV, was more tourism than hunting, as i told you, i put brakes on shooting this year, even if i put down some.

The following pictures are from the place where i hunt mouflon. Here the wild boars are not skinned but shaved as we used to do every where years before. The meat is better, smoother, tastier when cooked in "sauce" (daube de sanglier) or when you want to make salted or smoked ham.
first the animal is drived into wery warm water, almost boiling, for a very short time (5 to 10 seconds) then hunters shave hairs, after that wild boar is gutted and cleaned (note this practice is done when weather is cold).

Hunting is collective, meat is shared between all hunters, some is saved for old hunters or people from that very small village who don't hunt any more. It's tradition, coming back to ages long gone by. A thing most anti hunters can't understand or even imagine. We hunt for pleasure and for meat, nothing is waisted. Dogs get their share too.

When the season is over, at the beginning of spring, we organise a big feast, with children and wifes, eating products from the hunt. Every body bringing in its own specialty.

That close the season and prepare the new one to come.

[Linked Image]

Here a small boar ready to be shaved
[Linked Image]

this boar was 190lbs ungutted.
[Linked Image]

Scalding and scraping of the hog is the way the old folks in Appalachian Mountains prepared their winter's meat. Most usually the "hog killins" took place in late October or early November. The whole community would gather and help one another with the work.

My grandparents did it that way when I was a small boy. Some folks in the mountains still do it this way.

By far the best sausage I ever had was made during these affairs.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Pieter, I had -5 in Namibia.

-20 is just ... 4 times colder grin

Thanks Mr Stella Artois, that helps! grin

Now, how cold is -5?? wink

In Springfield (Mo) we had -12 one day and that was enough to get some police coffee down my throat. -20 is still a mystery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When we still had family with a farm we would on occasion buy hogs from them. The men would (pre-1976) shoot the hog with a 22 and then drag it to the concrete slab next to a fire that was boiling water in a 44 gal drum.

Then we put a hessian bag over the hog and poured boiling water over it to prevent the water from searing the skin. The kids then had to take spoons to scrape the hairs off. Of course we lost interest after about half an hour and went playing instead.

This brought back many memories!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Hi Pieter,
Depends on the areas where you hunt. In some parts you have red deer, wild boars, roe deers, mouflons, gams, plus small games and foxes, badger etc...Wolves is coming back strongly in France but totally protected as is the lynx. The "bouquetin" which is a big french Ibex is back every where in Alps but totally protected at the moment.
We also hunt small game. Here two woodcocks taken last week while testing the Beretta Perenia 20gauge for a magazine.
[Linked Image]

Thats a wide variety of animals thanks. How did the Beretta work? And what are "gams"?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinPieter, Grand Veneur and Writing Frog are huntin' fools!! SO!! We are allowed to state that they Officially Suck! grin Two great fellas there. and before I fergit...GV, your kids are ADORABLE!!!! Good on you for teaching them the love of the wild and hunting!!!! grin WF, YOU must be part mountain goat!!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Pieter

Gams are chamois and isards. They are same species but the isard is a bit different in size (smaller and hair)The Chamois live in the Alp, French, Austrian, Bavarian, Swiss, Italian also in other place like former Yougoslavia and Romania. Some are pure mountains game other more forest. The Isard live in the Pyr�n�es mountains which are border between France and Spain. The chamois was introduced in New Zealand where it's also hunted.

Here some pictures:

Austrian chamois female with young

[Linked Image]

this is a good isard billy taken in Pyren�es.

[Linked Image]

The Perenia was OK for small game, fast to the shoulder, light enough for long walk upland, looking for mountain partridges or woodcocks, very efficient bore with very good patterning. Easy to take down, very good wood (for Beretta), finish flawless. Expensive but that's more than one hunting life of service.

Dom

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.