Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#6164899 - 02/12/12 07:01 AM 2011 season moods & good times.
grand_veneur Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Wallifornia
Now the season’s off, just ended two weeks away, so it’s time to try to share some parts of the moods from Belgium (& France)’s 2011 season. Despite the fact the season wasn’t great (not so much game, herd management rules tend to exagerate the red does and fawns culling, and no opportunity to bag any trophy), we had very good moments allowing us to forget for some times the itchy problems of the ‘normal’ day-to-day life.

In the early days of september, we were stalking and high stand hunting wild boars in Condroz, above the cliffs South of the river Meuse.

I took those two little boars with one single (300 grains) bullet.

In the end of september, I had the opportunity to change my fly rod with some off-shore fishing gear. A little team aboard a little ship, we went fishing in the channel about halfway from Calais to the UK, mostly looking for sea basses.

Very good results for the team and I was happy for a first attempt as I caught 7 nice basses, 2 cods, and 1 makrel.

Exhausting fishing party indeed incluind 5 hours driving and 15 hours on the sea (fishing about 9 hours, ship anchored in very strong stream, ideal conditons for sea bass).

#6165010 - 02/12/12 07:30 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: grand_veneur]
grand_veneur Offline
Campfire Ranger

It took me a long time before I had the opportunity to bag something during a drive but the small game and bird season was good and I had the opportunity to bring the kids stalking and high stand hunting with me.

I had to manage a « custom » cheap meat cooler in the garage for the purpose of taking care of the meat when hunting in the summer.

The only big game I bagged during the Belgian drives (still using the .375 HH) ... Quite unlucky up to the end of december, then quite of ... unsharp ... grin

Some other action pictures ...

#6165034 - 02/12/12 07:37 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: grand_veneur]
grand_veneur Offline
Campfire Ranger

Here are some pics of the French Connection’s 2011 edition. French friends from Lyon and Mourmelon joined us for a hunting week-end.

For the ones who know, the red deer statue is in St Hubertown t, Where I use to hunt. It's in St Hubert town's forest that St Hubert's legend was born. It is also the bird place of the "blood hound" breed, as you use to name them in English. Now there are mostly used as police dogs but they were originally bred for big game hunting purposes.

#6165094 - 02/12/12 07:57 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: grand_veneur]
grand_veneur Offline
Campfire Ranger

But French connection implied two-ways trafficking, so I spent some time in Lorraine where I shot A red doe and a young roe deer.

We also went to Mourmelon in january with some Belgian friends.

Mourmelon is a very big military camp in "The Marne", next to the 14-18 battlefield. Mourmelon was known as the 101 airborne's rear base during WWII. My friend from Mourmelon's grandfather used to say that the german guns were to be heared up to Mourmelon during the siege of Bastogne.

I was a very bad shooter there, missed 3 boars in a row. But we had a very very good time and a lot of champaign grin

#6165115 - 02/12/12 08:02 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: grand_veneur]
grand_veneur Offline
Campfire Ranger

Lately, with a bunch of friens, we were required to perform a culling drive in the end of january. About 50 boars were seen during the day, 17 went killed as well as 5 foxes.

I had one fox but I missed 3 boars in a row ... again blush

Dr "Hawkeye" waiting for some preys grin

These are the 5 boars killed on our line in the cliffs.

Dr Hawkeye killed 4 of the boars, 3 in a row, and one more retrating laugh

I eventually performed the biggest kill of the season ... grin

That's all folks, hope you get some of the mood out there and wish you the best for the upcoming season.

#6165661 - 02/12/12 10:21 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: grand_veneur]
hillbillybear Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Western NC
That is some really great stuff.

Thanks for sharing it with us. cool cool

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

“If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.” Ronald Reagan.

#6165714 - 02/12/12 10:37 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: grand_veneur]
AFTERUM Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: CENTRAL FLORIDA
nicely done....I really like #17 of the man standing in the green trees....thank you for sharing with us....

#6165732 - 02/12/12 10:43 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: AFTERUM]
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Thank you so very for sharing photos and stories from "across the pond". GRF

#6165742 - 02/12/12 10:46 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: hillbillybear]
writing_frog Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: France

Hi Alex,

Very good reportage of your hunting season!

Mourmelon makes me remenber younger times when i was based in Germany, we used to go there and Mailly, spend a week of training. Mud, rain, cold, white mud sticking our boots make them weight tons...
Roes were everywhere not affraid by our tanks or armored fighting vehicules..

But i asked my transfert to paratrooper regiment, tired of "the noisy tracked steel can" and went south west. Good place for roes too...!

How was the driven hunt? Not too much like military operation? Not far from my home in the big training camp of Canjuers (known to some marine's units of the 6th fleet) we have big battues too.
But a bit too much military for my own taste. Lot's of game, red, roes and boars. The shooting range open sometimes to more than a mile but with very limited access.

For me season almost over. Just one more mouflon stalk, end of month and will be done.

all the best

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)

#6165786 - 02/12/12 11:02 AM Re: 2011 season moods & good times. [Re: writing_frog]
jagd Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: WA/Germany/Afghanistan
Excellent season.

sounds like its time for a new gun.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on ZEISS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
654 registered (1minute, 257heaven, 1899sav, 00_Sean, 25classic, 77 invisible), 1433 Guests and 350 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50675 Members
72 Forums
638771 Topics
9169429 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!

Copyright © 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.