CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6167631 - 02/12/12 06:54 PM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: WyoXJ]
addicted Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Since Ron is my buddy I'll ask this question coupled with this one. How much insulation do you really need? We will be covering a lot of ground, hills and mountains. Just making sure we don't buy super HOT boots and pay the price later.

Thanks

Semper Fidelis!

#6176522 - 02/14/12 06:32 PM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: addicted]
Aviator Offline
Campfire Regular

I have both Irish setter and danners,I just got a pair of the Cabelas lightweight hunters by Meindl they are by far the most comfy lightweight boots I have ever had on my feet !! even better than my Hanwag hikers !

#6176661 - 02/14/12 07:05 PM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: kunas]
RichardAustin Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: In Line Waiting
My Redwing (Redwing - the maker of IrishSetters) boots are falling apart and their customer service guy "Matt" told me I should just buy a new pair.
I paid twice as much to buy the American Made redwings and would have been much happier with two pair of imported boots for the same price. That said I am rather happy with my Danner boots, they're military style/type boots.

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.

#6177211 - 02/14/12 10:19 PM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: RichardAustin]
kcnboise Offline
Campfire Regular

I've had several pairs of both Irish Setter and Danners, so I'd have to say neither. Meindl or Lowa is what I wear now; threw the Irish Setters and Danners out after the first trip in the Meindls and Lowas and haven't ever regretted it. In fact, I just keep liking them better. Wore the Meindls ice fishing a couple weeks ago in single digit weather, as we had about a mile and a half walk on the ice to the fishing spot. I took a pair of pack boots to change into, but never did - my feet didn't get cold on the ice all day, and they were the Meindl Alaska Hunters with only 200 grams of insulation. They're even quiet enough to stalk in while archery elk hunting.

#6177283 - 02/14/12 11:41 PM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: kcnboise]
Esox357 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Ohio
I used Danners for work and the soles are so soft they wore down quickly from walking around which I didn't do a whole lot of, you can send them back to Danner to replace the soles but at the cost of it I was not impressed and wasn't planning on buying Danners again.

#6193926 - 02/19/12 08:56 AM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: Esox357]
GF1 Offline
Campfire Guide

The Danner Bob tread pattern does wear very quickly in rocky terrain, but is superb traction and very quiet.

The more traditional Vibram pattern, such as that found on the Danner Hood Winter Light, is really tough and I've yet to wear out the soles in the western chukar canyon country.

#6193984 - 02/19/12 09:14 AM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: GF1]
Allen917 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: East Texas
I'm sold on the Irish Setter Elk Trackers w/ 200 grams of thinsulate. They are never too hot and if I need more insulation, I usually have a couple of pairs of socks in my day pack. The Elk Trackers open up nicely for the additional bulky socks, so my feet don't get cramped.

Danners on the other hand, have just never fit me well and didn't feel go with extra bulky socks, but I haven't bought any of then in at least 10 years and probably won't be in the market for boots again for another 10.

#6195018 - 02/19/12 02:21 PM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: Allen917]
Alectoris Offline

Loc: Central Oregon
My vote is for Danner. I currently own 2 pairs. A pair of Danner Light II for everyday wear/light hiking and a pair of Hood Winter Light for hunting. Used the Danner Light II for turkey, elk and birds this year and they held up really well. Bought the Hood's when I realized some extra insulation would be nice.

They are hands down the most comfortable shoes I have worn ever. At 6'2" and 250 I usually have the midsoles of lesser boots compacted within 6 months of wear which makes for very sore feet after any amount of walking. The Danner's are still going strong a year later.

The vibram soles are a bit soft and asphalt will wear them down faster than dirt but that is a true with most boots. If you want harder soles look at thier work boots. Same cost but harder soles and more abrasion resistant leather. Just be warned that in cold temps those harder soles will give you less traction as the rubber tends to get rather hard.

Whatever route you go make sure you get a good brand of leather conditioner (I use the Danner stuff) to aid break-in and keep the leather from cracking. Putting $300 towards quality boots is really stupid if you aren't going to take proper care of them.

Edited by Alectoris (02/19/12 02:25 PM)

#6195790 - 02/19/12 05:36 PM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: Alectoris]
GF1 Offline
Campfire Guide

The Danners (U.S. made) have always fit for me, and I'm lazy and wear only one sock (per foot of course).

Here is what I use to keep them going:

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=33

#6197921 - 02/20/12 09:35 AM Re: danners or irish setters [Re: GF1]
fredIII Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: chehalis wa,
i have a pair of danners that are three mounths old and the sole is coming off second pair in two years so im really starting to hate them

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
289 registered (1flier, 204guy, 16penny, 2ndwind, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 1222 Guests and 289 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
CLICK HERE for AWESOME BIG GAME HUNTING ADVENTURES in CANADA!
Forum Stats
50233 Members
72 Forums
628899 Topics
9015872 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.