-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am planning on applying for a moose tag in Eastern Idaho, looking at unit 63 or in that area. How is public access in this area, and are there any particular areas or units that you would recommend. Any help appreciated.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Can't speak for 63 other than it's mostly desert, but I've hunted moose in 62. I was about 12 years ago, though, and things have changed. We saw moose every day and both of us got decent bulls. I've known 2 guys in recent years, though, who've hunted in 62 and 62A and didn't see a single moose all season.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Things are in tremendous flux evidently due to wolf movements. Way up in our area, Unit 1, moose populations have plunged in just two seasons due to the arrival of an estimated 125 wolves, according to Idaho F&G.

You might check on the Idaho F&G site and look at the hunter success and harvest data to help you make a decision. Packs of wolves are about the only things that threaten adult moose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know exactly what unit it was in, but a pard shot this one in eastern Idaho in 2010...

[Linked Image]

Wasn't an easy hunt. He spent a lot of days looking over moose. He found one bigger than this, but it had busted off one side of his rack. So it appears there's still a few big ones around!

Last edited by pointer; 02/09/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
Don't know exactly what unit it was in, but a pard shot this one in eastern Idaho in 2010...

[Linked Image]

Wasn't an easy hunt. He spent a lot of days looking over moose. He found one bigger than this, but it had busted off one side of his rack. So it appears there's still a few big ones around!

Wow, now that's a spectacular Shiras moose !!! Definitely over 150 B&C. Nice !!!

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That is a nice Moose..Eastern Idaho used to be the place to go around Island Park for some big moose..Friends used to go over there all the way from McCall and never were disappointed until the wolf implosion.

The moose around here have been all but gone for the last few years except last year, I saw two nice Moose and one was huge..I think wolf hunting has made a small impact along with the fear of man.

If I was to want a Moose and money was not a problem,the Island Park area would be my choice.

Jayco

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Tom in Boise
I lived in Idaho Falls for 20 years (prior to moving to Boise) and hunted the country, there. Here is what I know: Unit 63, most of the public land lies north of the Highway from Sage Junction to Rexburg (Highway 33 I think). Its mostly a mixture of sage and grass unless you are near the Menan Butes which are a mixture of Sage and Shrubs with few Junipers. North and west of the Menan Buttes are large crop circles and quite a bit of private land. The whole area is a very important elk, deer, moose winter range. Used to be thousands winter there. Not what I would picture as prime moose range.
Units 61 and 62 in the Island Park area are long time great moose units. With lots of public access, roads, and wolves. This is all Lodgepole and Fir country with scattered Aspen. Unit 69 South and East of Idaho Falls is another well known area with good public access and few if any wolves. This is a little drier with Aspen, some Lodgepole and Fir. Roads here can be real dicey when nasty weather sets in. Go to the Idaho Hunt Planner for info on success, etc. The BLM office their has maps of all of the above areas.

Last edited by Elkmen; 02/09/12.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Tom, I hunted a little further south in 66A and took a very good bull. Wasn't as big as the one pictured here but close. Lots of aspen and fir access was pretty limited even though almost all public land. I found that by contacting the Pocatello F&G office and talking to the resident moose biolgist that he had a great deal of information and was very helpful with best areas where trophy moose were most likely to be found and so forth. Once I drew the permit he even sat down with a F.S. map and pointed out where best to hunt in that area and indicated where moose would be very scarce in that area. Afew days of scouting in that area in mid August pretty much confirmed his advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Due to wolves, there aren't near as many moose in the last couple of years. I used to run into moose nearly every trip grouse hunting, and lately I rarely see one. Don't count on an easy hunt. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the information. I have now looked a little further south at the 66-1/-2 units, and that looks like a better way to go. This is all dependent on drawing a tag, of course, but it's fun to do the planning now....

Regards,

Tom
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
TomInBoise, my next door neighbor/hunting partner killed a nice fat cow moose in Unit 65, a couple months ago. Prime meat! He said he saw several nice bulls there plus quite a few cows.

He went just at the last of the season when it had gotten cold and they were down out of the mountains. He used his old Win M70 in .300 H&H Mag. A farmer allowed him to hunt on his land and helped him get the moose out with his ATV.

For what its worth.

L.W.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.