Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello all, I was thinking it'd be fun to start a thread with pictures (and descriptions of course) of your McHale packs. The packs can take a while in the making, so those of us in the ordering process would have something to whet our appetites with. It would also help to see the options that folks got (that we may not have known were available).

I'd start the thread going with pictures, but alas, I have no pack yet. frown Maybe someone could get the ball rolling for me.

BP-B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

McHale SCMII - This is my pack...also shown on Dan's website under the CMII link. I sent him the photo after using it on this snowshoeing trip, and he posted it on his site.

After this, I bought the Chasm in Dyneema, and the Merke as well.

Last edited by Vigilguy; 02/13/12.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I've got to let you know, Vigilguy, your picture (this one) has been my wallpaper on my home computer for the past three days. Hahahaha. I love the snowy setting, but more importantly, you chose an incredible color scheme. I keep going back and forth between the green and white versus the grey and white. But one thing is for certain, my pack will be one of those two color schemes. Great photo! smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hopefully in the next few months I will have my pack to share pics! Still in the demo process.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by coonass
Hopefully in the next few months I will have my pack to share pics! Still in the demo process.

And I'm just starting the demo process (haven't recieved it yet, still in the beginning stages of the order). Coonass, feel free to put up pics of the demo too if you like. I've heard Dan tries to approximate pack size and features, even if the materials and colors are not exactly what you're looking for.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here are a few sent to Dan to review��..Im being educated by Dan and you can see the pack riding a bit lower than should be. The first 3 should be w/ Bayos in and extended

Attached Images
Extended 1.CF.jpg (26.03 KB, 767 downloads)
extended 3.CF.jpg (72.36 KB, 1405 downloads)
mchale 3.CF.jpg (37.09 KB, 856 downloads)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A couple more. Sending video to Dan as you make adjustments to the demo pack is probably more helpful than still pics. Down in my neck of the woods there are very few places for me to try packs on, let alone being able to take home or actually take out on a hike. Its has been a great experience thus far and Dan is very patient.

Attached Images
mchale 2.CF.jpg (38.55 KB, 1669 downloads)
pack 3.CF.jpg (35.7 KB, 626 downloads)
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Here are a few sent to Dan to review��..Im being educated by Dan and you can see the pack riding a bit lower than should be. The first 3 should be w/ Bayos in and extended

Cool! Which pack model is that? It's got great extended height (taller than I expected). You could definitely throw a lot of gear in that pack.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jedi5150

Cool! Which pack model is that? It's got great extended height (taller than I expected). You could definitely throw a lot of gear in that pack.

It is HUGE!! I put damn every piece of gear I own in it w/ enough room left over for a boned out pygmy elephant! Pack is the SM2
http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/scm2_alp_bay.htm

Attached Images
gear.jpg (40.8 KB, 382 downloads)
gear 2.jpg (37.69 KB, 366 downloads)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jedi5150

It is HUGE!! I put damn every piece of gear I own in it w/ enough room left over for a boned out pygmy elephant! Pack is the SM2
http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/scm2_alp_bay.htm

Same pack as Vigil above

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
any new pics?

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by elim
any new pics?

Here is the demo 40" Chasm that I'm trying out while my pack is being built. This pic shows it in "daypack" mode, with the bayonets removed, top lid pouch removed, etc. It is incredible how this pack can go from being enormous to a reasonably compact daypack.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
My new McHale LBP40 is complete. I haven't recieved it yet but Dan put up some photos of it on his website. It is full Spectra/ Dyneema, with 1000d forest green cordura and black webbing. I'll put up some of my own photos when it gets here. You can see it as the top 4 pictures on the following link:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/letter/index.htm

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jedi5150; 04/22/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome looking pack! I have an appointment with Dan at his shop in 2 weeks to have two packs built. Its only about a hour and a half drive to his shop for me. I just have so many design ideas to try to explain over the phone. Plus I have an odd shaped back so being measured by the man himself should make the process go smoother. I am excited!

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Big_W
Awesome looking pack! I have an appointment with Dan at his shop in 2 weeks to have two packs built. Its only about a hour and a half drive to his shop for me. I just have so many design ideas to try to explain over the phone. Plus I have an odd shaped back so being measured by the man himself should make the process go smoother. I am excited!

Thanks Big W! Good luck with your appointment and ordering. Buying two McHales at once?...lucky man. smile

S
S
I just sent Dan my measurements (hope I got them all right!) and am eagerly awaiting my demo CMII. I'll post pics once I receive the pack.

R
R
Here is my pack. Dan put a picture of it on the site. It is a CMII with bayonettes. I custom designed the pocket to fit my swaro spotter and tripod. Can't wait to load it up!!

1st attempt at posting pics...sorry

Attached Images
McHalePack1.jpg (66.67 KB, 908 downloads)
New Pack
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by riverjet
Here is my pack. Dan put a picture of it on the site. It is a CMII with bayonettes. I custom designed the pocket to fit my swaro spotter and tripod. Can't wait to load it up!!

Very cool looking pack Riverjet! It looks like it's all cuben? I like it. smile

R
R
Its a mix of Cuben, Dyneema and Spectra.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by riverjet

That is almost exactly what I have planned for my McHale and I will add the removeable side pockets for some uses. I also like the black.brown webbing and green body as I think that this will tend to "camo" here in BC's largely forested habitat.

I am a longterm hardcore fan of Dana Gleason's packs and have owned and used about a dozen, still have my original from 1978 and it is still in good shape, after years of hard use. It is now my urban hiking pack for carrying my wife's meds and water, etc, on our walks.

However, I have talked over the phone,etc, with Dan since about 1995, some members here and elsewhere have purchased packs from him at my suggestion and I just gotta have my own. I sold my MR BDSB and Dana-Bozo Astralplane and might sell a couple more of my MR packs, so, I "need" one like yours to carry whatever an elderly geezer like me can manage to haul up the Kootenay mountains.

Just this evening, I was explaining to my wife how much I "needed" one of these and she said, "well, I will have some spare money soon, I guess you have your birthday coming and know what you want"........marry the right lady, boys, it sure makes life a LOT better!!! smile

Where are you using that gem of a pack, it and Don's (dbsb) from a few years ago, are my favourites. I also like Charlie's (Vigilguy's) and consider these to be THE general purpose pack to have for the serious backpacker, hunter or not.

Good on ya, fill it with meat and bone! smile smile smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.