Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello all, I was thinking it'd be fun to start a thread with pictures (and descriptions of course) of your McHale packs. The packs can take a while in the making, so those of us in the ordering process would have something to whet our appetites with. It would also help to see the options that folks got (that we may not have known were available).

I'd start the thread going with pictures, but alas, I have no pack yet. frown Maybe someone could get the ball rolling for me.

GB1

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

McHale SCMII - This is my pack...also shown on Dan's website under the CMII link. I sent him the photo after using it on this snowshoeing trip, and he posted it on his site.

After this, I bought the Chasm in Dyneema, and the Merke as well.

Last edited by Vigilguy; 02/13/12.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I've got to let you know, Vigilguy, your picture (this one) has been my wallpaper on my home computer for the past three days. Hahahaha. I love the snowy setting, but more importantly, you chose an incredible color scheme. I keep going back and forth between the green and white versus the grey and white. But one thing is for certain, my pack will be one of those two color schemes. Great photo! smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hopefully in the next few months I will have my pack to share pics! Still in the demo process.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by coonass
Hopefully in the next few months I will have my pack to share pics! Still in the demo process.

And I'm just starting the demo process (haven't recieved it yet, still in the beginning stages of the order). Coonass, feel free to put up pics of the demo too if you like. I've heard Dan tries to approximate pack size and features, even if the materials and colors are not exactly what you're looking for.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here are a few sent to Dan to review��..Im being educated by Dan and you can see the pack riding a bit lower than should be. The first 3 should be w/ Bayos in and extended

Attached Images
Extended 1.CF.jpg (26.03 KB, 767 downloads)
extended 3.CF.jpg (72.36 KB, 1405 downloads)
mchale 3.CF.jpg (37.09 KB, 856 downloads)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A couple more. Sending video to Dan as you make adjustments to the demo pack is probably more helpful than still pics. Down in my neck of the woods there are very few places for me to try packs on, let alone being able to take home or actually take out on a hike. Its has been a great experience thus far and Dan is very patient.

Attached Images
mchale 2.CF.jpg (38.55 KB, 1669 downloads)
pack 3.CF.jpg (35.7 KB, 626 downloads)
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Here are a few sent to Dan to review��..Im being educated by Dan and you can see the pack riding a bit lower than should be. The first 3 should be w/ Bayos in and extended

Cool! Which pack model is that? It's got great extended height (taller than I expected). You could definitely throw a lot of gear in that pack.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jedi5150

Cool! Which pack model is that? It's got great extended height (taller than I expected). You could definitely throw a lot of gear in that pack.

It is HUGE!! I put damn every piece of gear I own in it w/ enough room left over for a boned out pygmy elephant! Pack is the SM2
http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/scm2_alp_bay.htm

Attached Images
gear.jpg (40.8 KB, 382 downloads)
gear 2.jpg (37.69 KB, 366 downloads)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

It is HUGE!! I put damn every piece of gear I own in it w/ enough room left over for a boned out pygmy elephant! Pack is the SM2
http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/scm2_alp_bay.htm

Same pack as Vigil above

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
any new pics?

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by elim
any new pics?

Here is the demo 40" Chasm that I'm trying out while my pack is being built. This pic shows it in "daypack" mode, with the bayonets removed, top lid pouch removed, etc. It is incredible how this pack can go from being enormous to a reasonably compact daypack.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
My new McHale LBP40 is complete. I haven't recieved it yet but Dan put up some photos of it on his website. It is full Spectra/ Dyneema, with 1000d forest green cordura and black webbing. I'll put up some of my own photos when it gets here. You can see it as the top 4 pictures on the following link:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/letter/index.htm

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jedi5150; 04/22/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome looking pack! I have an appointment with Dan at his shop in 2 weeks to have two packs built. Its only about a hour and a half drive to his shop for me. I just have so many design ideas to try to explain over the phone. Plus I have an odd shaped back so being measured by the man himself should make the process go smoother. I am excited!

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Big_W
Awesome looking pack! I have an appointment with Dan at his shop in 2 weeks to have two packs built. Its only about a hour and a half drive to his shop for me. I just have so many design ideas to try to explain over the phone. Plus I have an odd shaped back so being measured by the man himself should make the process go smoother. I am excited!

Thanks Big W! Good luck with your appointment and ordering. Buying two McHales at once?...lucky man. smile

S
S
I just sent Dan my measurements (hope I got them all right!) and am eagerly awaiting my demo CMII. I'll post pics once I receive the pack.

R
R
Here is my pack. Dan put a picture of it on the site. It is a CMII with bayonettes. I custom designed the pocket to fit my swaro spotter and tripod. Can't wait to load it up!!

1st attempt at posting pics...sorry

Attached Images
McHalePack1.jpg (66.67 KB, 908 downloads)
New Pack
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by riverjet
Here is my pack. Dan put a picture of it on the site. It is a CMII with bayonettes. I custom designed the pocket to fit my swaro spotter and tripod. Can't wait to load it up!!

Very cool looking pack Riverjet! It looks like it's all cuben? I like it. smile

R
R
Its a mix of Cuben, Dyneema and Spectra.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by riverjet

That is almost exactly what I have planned for my McHale and I will add the removeable side pockets for some uses. I also like the black.brown webbing and green body as I think that this will tend to "camo" here in BC's largely forested habitat.

I am a longterm hardcore fan of Dana Gleason's packs and have owned and used about a dozen, still have my original from 1978 and it is still in good shape, after years of hard use. It is now my urban hiking pack for carrying my wife's meds and water, etc, on our walks.

However, I have talked over the phone,etc, with Dan since about 1995, some members here and elsewhere have purchased packs from him at my suggestion and I just gotta have my own. I sold my MR BDSB and Dana-Bozo Astralplane and might sell a couple more of my MR packs, so, I "need" one like yours to carry whatever an elderly geezer like me can manage to haul up the Kootenay mountains.

Just this evening, I was explaining to my wife how much I "needed" one of these and she said, "well, I will have some spare money soon, I guess you have your birthday coming and know what you want"........marry the right lady, boys, it sure makes life a LOT better!!! smile

Where are you using that gem of a pack, it and Don's (dbsb) from a few years ago, are my favourites. I also like Charlie's (Vigilguy's) and consider these to be THE general purpose pack to have for the serious backpacker, hunter or not.

Good on ya, fill it with meat and bone! smile smile smile

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
McHale is in the raft on the left. It's been a great pack with some years on it now I know what I'm going to change when I get my next one. Saying that there's nothing wrong with it the way it is right now.

Last edited by Ernie_Scar; 04/29/12.
R
R
I will be using this pack for my extended sheep hunts. I have hunted all over BC for sheep. This year is early Stones to find one for my buddy then off for Bighorns in the Koots for the last few weeks of the season.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ernie's is the other one I have seen photos of that I like and his assistance to me some time ago is greatly appreciated. I also know exactly what I want in a McHale and am hoping to buy this year as my earlier plan was delayed by my wife's medical issues.

...Bighorns in the... Kootenays, one of BC's most challenging hunts and the finest gear certainly helps in that endeavour. I have put my bootprints on many mountaintops all over that, my home, region and hope to do so for a few more years.

Well, very nicely done pack, probably my favourite among those I have seen.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

This is identical to my CMII bayonet model in full dyneema except my waist belt is also full dyneema. RIVERJET was able to check it out last year before he ordered one. I had Dan add some extra buckles and straps on shoulder straps and waistbelt so I could use my kifaru gunbearer(not the universal). Also had the shelf modified so I can set it in two different positions depending what I'm packing, and added internal straps for lashing a bag of deboned meat close to my back for stability. Only packed one deer with it last year but I used it on two different sheep hunts, one 14 days, and I couldnt be happier. Believe it or not the standard CMII has more capacity than my kifaru LH guide and is a lot more comfortable with a big load on my body type(skinny).

Last edited by mod7rem; 05/02/12.
S
S
I am currently working with Dan to determine which accessories to add to my CMII.

River jet I like the idea of the zippered back utility packet for easy access to spotter/tripod (I have an an angled swaro and slik mini II tripod.) But am trying to decide that or the side pockets. River jet what difference do you see between the side vs. back pocket other than the obvious location difference?

I am also thinking of adding a few more loops inside the pack to secure meat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had Dan make 16" long sewn in side/slot pockets instead of water bottle holders. My thought is that it would hold a spotter and tripod or other things like my small dry bags. I also had him put a set of dasiy chains inside the back of the pack for straping in a load of meat with some g-hooks and webbing kit from HPG. That should keep the meat bag high and in place against my back, keeping my pack stable with the heavy load. I cannot wait to get mine! I am so excited!

S
S
How do you plan to strap your rifle to the pack w/o the bottle holders? I had thought about putting the butt of the rifle in one of the bottle holders.

Did you go w/ a platypus holder inside the pack?

I had Dan make 16" long sewn in side/slot pockets instead of water bottle holders. My thought is that it would hold a spotter and tripod or other things like my small dry bags. I also had him put a set of dasiy chains inside the back of the pack for straping in a load of meat with some g-hooks and webbing kit from HPG. That should keep the meat bag high and in place against my back, keeping my pack stable with the heavy load. I cannot wait to get mine! I am so excited!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Ernie,
Glad to see others like to bring the Crocs for camp shoes. smile
They're light, they float, and rumor is you can boil and eat them if times get tough.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SEAlpine
How do you plan to strap your rifle to the pack w/o the bottle holders? I had thought about putting the butt of the rifle in one of the bottle holders.

Did you go w/ a platypus holder inside the pack?

I never strap my rifle to my pack where I cannot get to it fast. I either carry it in hand or use a Kifaru gunbearer. To answer your question though I will still be able to put the butt of the rifle in the side pockets I am having built. They are open at the top and have crossed webbing for bottoms. They can also be used for packing skis.

I am having a water bladder holder built in the top lid. Also a hole for the hose in the main pack, hang loop should be just fine.

R
R
It was only after seeing Mod7Rem's pack did I commit to this build. He provided valuable feedback!!

I have an angled Swaro and Slik CF 613. I have used side pocket on other packs before and have no complaints...For my style I wanted a nimble pack which meant not too much "width". This system sucks up tight to the back and has built in padding so if you tip over backward you won't crunch your optics too bad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

The CM-II that Mod7Rem posted a pic of is mine, and above it rides nicely in the Misty Fjords in SE Alaska on a goat hunt.
Very comfy, 'course it helps to have a guide/packer....guilty of both on this trip
Don

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I seem to recall,( poser that I am, wink ), having some input on the design and building of that particular McHale and also advised Vigilguy on his first one.

Mine will happen, late this year and will be much like the ones shown here. I will go to Dan's shop and finetune it with him in person.

I will, I suspect, still use my Dana and MR packs for some things as they suit me just fine.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had some issues this past season with the Gunbearer on my Kifaru Longhunter. With the butt bucket adjusted as low and as far back and/or forward as possible, my gun's barrel was in my way while glassing. The rifle is a Browning 300 Win Mag with 26in. barrel. I'm open to suggestions for adjustments on the Gunbearer that might help. The Longhunter is a great pack but, I'm going to try something different this year since glassing is a big part of the way I hunt elk and deer.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use my gun barrel while glassing with binos to keep steady. I could see how a long action with 26" barrel would get in the way though.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have carried my original P-64 Mod. 70 Alaskans, in .338WM, with their 25" tubes in the Kifaru Gunbearer, on a Longhunter Rendevous, Gen. 1 and a MR NICE OK-6500 pack and in some fairly dense BC timber. It is OK and the Gunbearer is a brilliant design and with my little mod. of a safety strap, the best way to carry a gun I have ever tried.

I have carried a lot of rifles for decades during my years in forestry work and most times, I hated packing a gun. When, I got my first Kifaru Gunbearer, it ripped as soon as I put my rifle into it, this is in the photo of me sometimes shown here. So, I got a replacement and dicked with it and I would not be without it, by choice.

I have seen a lot of gear issues and everyone has likes,dislikes and issues; I really like the GB and have several of them and need some spare straps for mine to keep one on each pack. I place the buttholder as far to the rear on a given pack as possible and keep the rifle snug to my body and it works well in almost all situations.

So,experiement with it and see how it goes. I am doing that with posting pix, but, I am a stubborn old baztard and I will get it done if it takes me all month! smile

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by kutenay

So,experiement with it and see how it goes. I am doing that with posting pix, but, I am a stubborn old baztard and I will get it done if it takes me all month! smile

Hey, you're talking to a guy who has never owned a cell phone and never figured out how to set up voicemail on his homephone... If I can post pictures on the internet (and I do often, because it's fun), anybody can. wink hahaha

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I had some issues this past season with the Gunbearer on my Kifaru Longhunter. With the butt bucket adjusted as low and as far back and/or forward as possible, my gun's barrel was in my way while glassing. The rifle is a Browning 300 Win Mag with 26in. barrel. I'm open to suggestions for adjustments on the Gunbearer that might help. The Longhunter is a great pack but, I'm going to try something different this year since glassing is a big part of the way I hunt elk and deer.

Here is a picture of how I modified my gunbearer. Its an adjustable strap I sewed onto the back of the "butt bucket". Its got a ring on the top so it slips onto the strap that connects to the shoulder strap. Depending on what type of load you have in the pack(whether youre upright or leaning foward) just tighten the strap if the barrel is in front of your face and it swings the barrel out. It makes a good thing even better. I used to have some close-up pics of the bearer by itself but I must have deleted them a couple years ago. I can take a couple if youre interested.
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

Here is a photo of the demo that Dan sent me, prior to building my SCM-II. It was loaded with 70 lbs of water jugs and other gear, and after a 10 minute workout of the incline trainer. I really like how there is no sag in the waistbelt, and there is excellent load distribution on the shoulder straps. Dan REALLY critiques these photos when building your pack! He is quite fussy when it comes to insuring a perfect fit, and I am grateful that he is. The load certainly did not feel like 70 lbs...it felt more like 45-50.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Vigilguy
[Linked Image]

Here is a photo of the demo that Dan sent me, prior to building my SCM-II. It was loaded with 70 lbs of water jugs and other gear, and after a 10 minute workout of the incline trainer. I really like how there is no sag in the waistbelt, and there is excellent load distribution on the shoulder straps. Dan REALLY critiques these photos when building your pack! He is quite fussy when it comes to insuring a perfect fit, and I am grateful that he is. The load certainly did not feel like 70 lbs...it felt more like 45-50.

That's a nice svelte looking pack. What is the ventilation like on your back? Also, it seems like there is uncomfortably little room behind your head. Is there "cup" or indentation of some sort that allows for more clearance than is otherwise shown in that side profile picture?

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
That's a nice svelte looking pack. What is the ventilation like on your back? Also, it seems like there is uncomfortably little room behind your head. Is there "cup" or indentation of some sort that allows for more clearance than is otherwise shown in that side profile picture?

Allen

Vigilguy can answer as well, but I know with my McHale, the two stays that make the bayonet system (which extends the pack up behind your head) are intentionally bendable so you can angle it closer or further from your head as you desire.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Ventilation is...fair... Holes in the padding, but nothing like an external frame, but I can live with it.

I had cranked down on the straps for the bypass harness, so I remember it was pulled unusually close to my "noggin". Was not necessary to do so for comfort. As Jedi5150 stated, I can bend the upper part of the stays back, but have never needed too.

Dan's bypass harness is truly the "cat's meow". Once I tried it, I will NEVER EVER go back to load lifters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The closer the weight of your pack is to your back including above you is going to make the pack ride better. That is way I do not like some packs that angle away once the hit the top of your shoulders. Like it has been said already though you can always bend them to you liking. The bypass harness is so awesome, its so simple yet does so much. Just the bypass harness and bayonets is enough reason to buy a McHale.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The closer the weight of your pack is to your back including above you is going to make the pack ride better.

Right, that's elemental. I just wondered about the closeness to the head thing as that would drive me - and I imagine anyone that wasn't afflicted with severe Kyphosis, absolutely nuts, especially when ascending steep terrain.

It sounds like that's easily remedied though by tweaking the bayonets.

Other than some minor ventilation issues, it looks like a very cool, very no-nonsense pack.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Considering the 70lb load in the pack, the lack of sag in the WB is impressive.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

Wind River Range (Washakie Pass, 11,000+ ft.), coming back from an awesome fly fishing trip with the pack goats!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Vigilguy

EVERYTHING in that pic is damn cool

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my Mchale pack��its the new big thing called "Pile o' Pack" under 2lbs. w/ a wood frame that turns into a table�... shoulder straps that are thin, light and stronger than Mn52Ti1. Cant wait to load'em up!

/Users/joshguidry/Desktop/Mchale.jpg

+1 UKDave�..That is one bad arse picture you have Vigil

Attached Images
Mchale.jpg (5.02 KB, 1209 downloads)
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

Wind River Range (Washakie Pass, 11,000+ ft.), coming back from an awesome fly fishing trip with the pack goats!

Holy crap! I have pack goat envy! smile Where do I get me one of them? I wouldn't even need a McHale if I had a goat to carry all my gear. Hellloooo.....11 pound Hilleberg tent for backpacking...Come to daddy. Hahahaha

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Forget tents, I would have them pulling my pop up!!

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
They take my table, chairs, Ti Goat stove, cook shelter, tent and sleeping bag. They are wonderful pack animals.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Man they are to cool.

coming from the UK Ive never seen anything like that before

HRH Prince Phillip

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
They take my table, chairs, Ti Goat stove, cook shelter, tent and sleeping bag. They are wonderful pack animals.

I've spent that past two days trying to convince my wife that backpacking is just not the same without pack goats (not that I'd know, considering I just learned about pack goats 2 days ago). smile She is putting her foot down firmly that as long as we are still living in an apartment, no pack goats.

My Belgian Malinois is now hating this thread. I think she has figured out that she might have to make due as a temporary pack goat on our next trip. Hahaha. That's right Vixen, next trip you're going to be wearing that McHale, not me:
[Linked Image]

And one more gratuitous McHale photo, since this is after all the McHale picture thread:
[Linked Image]

PS-These pictures look much better larger. I understand photos can't be massive for forums, but a little bigger would be a lot better. wink

Last edited by Jedi5150; 06/05/12.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

This is actually a McHale Pack photo, if you look close enough!

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

This is actually a McHale Pack photo, if you look close enough!

Haha, you just started the "Where's Waldo" McHale photos. The gauntlet has been thrown.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

Photo of the smaller Merke pack by McHale.

S
S
Trying to decide between the McHale CMII or the SCMII. Which are you guys using for multiday backpack hunting?

This year I'll be using the pack I decide on for a 10 day sheep hunt in the Alaska Range(estimated load w/ animal 80-100lbs). This is going to be my first sheep hunt and I'm pretty sure I'll be hooked but I am not sure how many of these type hunts I will do in the future.

For sure I will do my typical 1-4 day alpine deer hunting trips (typical load w/ animal ~70lbs) here in SE Alaska. And I will also be using the pack for family backpacking type trips where I carry most of the load.

Just trying to buy the pack that I can use for all of my intended uses and not be too terribly under/oversized.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

Photo of the smaller Merke pack by McHale.

You're killing me with the pack goat pictures. Those things are too cool. At this point I think you're just doing it to be mean to those of us who are goatless. smile

Last edited by Jedi5150; 06/06/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jedi, What part of central CA are you from?

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by MuleyFan

The Monterey Bay area.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MuleyFan

The Monterey Bay area.

Nice, I'm in the mountains to the east of Fresno...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
SEAlpine,
The CMII is huge. It will not be undersized. I have a CM II. If I had it to do over, I would probably look at an S-Sarc instead. The sizes are the same but the hip belt is different. I say this because I have one of his guide harness small packs. It carries heavy weight well. The S-Sarc is CM II sized, has the bayonets and and bypass harness but it is a little lighter in weight. The CM waist belt is very comfortable and holds well on the hips even with very heavy loads. The regular Sarc waist belt is also very good with heavy loads compared to most other packs and it's a little more compact than the CM setup.

For a hunting pack, the bayonet feature is nice. Having the bayonets in not only allows you more packing room but the vertical stack makes it much easier to balance out a heavy load when you have a variety of stuff to pack such as on the walk in or out. But when you are taking a smaller load, such as roaming out from the main camp, you pull the bayonets and the pack collapses down below your shoulder line and does not hang up the way a taller pack will when bushwhacking.

I am very happy with my CM pack. It is just a little too much for most of what I actually get to do. As I said above, if I had realized then how capable the regular Sarc setup was, I would have just ordered that instead.

On the other hand, if you will regularly carry very heavy loads, that CM waist belt is fantastic. Get the cam buckles for heavy weights. They are easier to cinch and much easier to release with one hand, even with gloves or mittens.

You can't compare MCHale's stated capacities to other mfg.'s specs. McHale's are much more conservative. Try a CM II demo and see if it has more than enough room for you. I'll bet it will.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ok, you have turned my attention to this manufacturer. I know this is a thread about building your McHale, but can someone shed some light on why this pack might be better than the longhunter. I need a new 3 day pack, size depending on the season of bow or rifle, and was waiting to see what the Hill People were going to come up with in their new line. So I have some time to do some research. So forgive me to jump into your thread on a side note. But can anyone say why they choose McHale for hunting? I'm a gear head and can't wait to start reading about their products on their site.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
My own response as to why I chose McHale is the suspension. Once I strapped on the Demo Pack, the thought that went through my mind was,"where have you been all of my life?" The load is evenly distributed and feels less than it actually is. They are a joy to carry, in my opinion.

R
R
I have had a Longhunter and also hunted with a Mystery Ranch Kodiak...

I can say that the hiking I've done with the McHales is a joy over these two other packs. I am not saying these others are not comfortable...just that my McHales is more comfortable (and it is more versatile too).

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That progression is about what I would expect given that the McHale is a full custom pack, while Kifaru mentions ...customizing... on their current site and the 2005ish catalgue of theirs which I recently threw out, mentioned ...custom made..., IIRC.

Mystery Ranch, is a basic design, intended to fit a wide range of people quite well and it does just that, however, it is not "custom" and that does make a difference, IME.

I think it probably a good time to mention that, while McHale's are certainly the "cutting edge" of packs currently available. this does come at a cost which may be beyond the means of many who wish to backpack hunt. As great as Dan's packs are, they are not for everyone and there are alternatives at far less cost with which one can hunt in reasonable comfort and which are reliable.

I really enjoy seeing the different photos of McHale's here and hope that more will join in and let us see their packs from Dan.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My $0.02:

Truly a custom pack built to your specs; not assembled from parts.
Many choices of materials, some of which are tough to get in a standard pack (Dyneema / Spectra, Cuben, etc)
You get to work with Dan. The man is an artist and expert in his field.

More discussion on his packs can be found at these threads:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4599504/1
http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4711125/1
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6168484/1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sold. How should I start? Is the whole process a custom order? As a hunter, which fabric is going to the quitiest? I will stop here and hit the website to start my research. I love this forum for the great information you guys are willing to share.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Start by just looking at every page on McHales website and come up with what you want for a basic design. I would not worry about what fabric is quietest. I would avoid basic cuben fiber though as its loud and crinkly when new. I do not know about the new hybrid cuben as I have never seen it in person. IMO, 500d cordura or dyneema grid is what I would use and I did wink . Write down what you are looking for in a pack. Hunting, load hauling, easy access, weight, size, pockets, fabric etc. If you want the biggest and baddest pack from McHale its going to cost you, my bill was over $1,000 for a S-CMII. If I would of went full spectra fabric that price would of shot way up.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, it is NOT the "cheapest" means of getting a decent hunting pack, BUT, as with all my gear, I have always looked at it from the perspective of getting and using what works BEST FOR ME and also lasts longest.

I have gear, well-worn, I bought in 1964-70,in my first few years of really active backpacking, wilderness working and hunting-the hunting has always been the least of these in importance to me- that is STILL as functional as when I bought it. My buddies used to chuckle at my highend gear and then spend two years BCFS salary on a "GTO man", while I drive four-bangers and use gear that is the best one can buy.

I do not advocate a beginner buying a McHale or even a MR, start with the basics and see what YOU actually enjoy, before spending hard earned coin that you might well later regret. However, for guys like Wes here and, it seems, an increasing number of others all over North America, the current upsurge in serious backpack hunting makes it practical and fiscally sound to buy gear of this quality and then use the H*LL out of it.

This year, AT LONG LAST, the 6-pt. Elk season around my home town is OPEN Sept. 10th. and I am going to spend every minute I can there, trying to get a REAL "hawg" of a bull, something that I have never done, my biggest is a "nice" 5-pt. So, my McHale will wait until next winter and "riverjet"'s pack is exactly what I have had in mind for several years.

Would anyone be interested in a Dana Longbed Loadmaster-large-green- in NEW condition, as I have two and will never use this one?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, how much are you asking?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
PM sent.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, sounds like a great deal, just can't swing it right now, darn it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MY PACK IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not got it yet though so here is a link to some pictures and a short description. Mine is the latest one at the top of the page. I am so freaking excited to get this thing!!!

http://www.mchalepacks.com/letter/index.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats W! That's a good looking pack. Obviously I can see the "fit" but I'll bet you're going to love it. smile

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might as well just posted the pictures here:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Getting closer to getting my hands on this babe!

Attached Images
Mchale CM.jpg (72.8 KB, 902 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey! My pack is laying right next to yours! He sent me a teaser picture too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone know what the delivery time is on a pack?

For instance, let's say I go get fitted in person, how soon after will the pack be ready?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine took about 2 months, I think that is his average wait time but I did not get a demo. If you get a demo I think the process is drawn out a bit longer. Give him a call or email.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Would you guys please PM me your specs that you asked Dan for in your hnuting packs- I'd like to replicate your experience as close as possible smile

Thank you!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Theres really no set specs to follow and thats the great thing. It will be your custom pack and you build it how you want. Just tell him the max weight you expect to carry. My pack is a heavy beast, over 7,000 cu inches, tough and for 120+ pound loads. That made the weight go up to 8 pounds and I am fine with that. It is a pack bulit for true 120+ loads, comparable only to an external. Other dual stay packs claim they can carry this load but seeing how the frame on his critical mass packs is built I beg to differ.

He also offers a lot of fabric choices. I am no expert on that but 500d cordura is a good cheaper option. Full spectra is a bit lighter and I think tougher but will raise the price of your pack by a lot. Dyneema grid is an even lighter option and is also a tough fabric but for a hunting pack I would choose Spectra or cordura over it. You can even chose the width of your shoulder harness and other things. If you go to his shop and try on some packs you will get a better idea on what its all about.

Your best bet is just to talk it over with him and he will guide you toward the choices you should make. Take a long look at his website and see what base design interests you.

After I have some time with my new pack I will do a full write on the details and its performance.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, great idea. How long did it take to get your pack made?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like I said on the last page 2 months but I dont know if it has shipped yet i have not heard back from him. Pretty sure I should have it by the end of next week. I dont think he likes to give a "timeline" on when your pack will be built and done. Sounds like he is busy and this is probably the busiest part of the year. I would not expect to have one by this hunting season but who knows. You can always use a demo until your pack is done. This is not something that can be rushed and I dont think he like to be rushed, I also dont think he likes to get emails every week asking if your pack is done smile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why is it all the backpacking greats are hippy burnouts with high IQs and [bleep] business ethics?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Based on my experience with Dan McHale during the spec'ing and ordering of my own pack, I would say your comment about '[bleep] business ethics' is way off the mark.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then why doesn'[t he hire another hippy that can make really cool hemp necklaces so that turn around time isn't two months??

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perhaps because he doesn't feel 2months is unreasonable for a custom product made from scratch, the majority of his customers don't either, and he understands that most people who run their mouths about him in a negative manner are internet bigshot wanna-be pack 'experts' who have no intention of ever buying one of his products and couldn't really afford to anyway?

Perhaps because he doesn't view his business decisions and practices as irresponsible in any moral or social way, thus any characterization of his 'business ethics' as '[bleep]' would be, in his opinion incorrect?

I had a great experience with my pack build/order. How was your personal experience with same?

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Why is it all the backpacking greats are hippy burnouts with high IQs and [bleep] business ethics?

Dan, I started this thread for those of us McHale pack fans to post pictures of our packs for enjoyment purposes. It has the added benefit that anyone interested in a McHale can see some colors/ options/ combos that they may not have considered before.

Please don't crap on this thread and turn it into a flame war. If you have negative comments about McHale packs or Dan's business practices feel free to start your own thread on that topic.

Last edited by Jedi5150; 07/09/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the spirit of the thread, here is a picture from last years sheep hunt with my CM11 in day mode with the bayonets removed. Everything I need for the day-spotter, tripod, raingear, meat bags, food, water, etc, etc.. [Linked Image]

Last edited by mod7rem; 07/09/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brother Dave, and Jedi. I'm not just speaking about Dan McHale. Dana, Patrick, and pretty much all of them in the biz are pretty much that same personality type. That's what I meant. It's cool that they're all in the business, but they don't do it for a fat paycheck and big living.

Dave, I've been kicking around the idea of ordering a McHale. The 2 month turnaround will make it something I won't worry about until winter. If turnaround was quicker, Dan would be getting my money sooner. 50-60 hour weeks leaves plenty of scratch for toys in the budget

For the record, I really like what I see on Dan's packs.

I'm Irish...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by mod7rem
In the spirit of the thread, here is a picture from last years sheep hunt with my CM11 in day mode with the bayonets removed. Everything I need for the day-spotter, tripod, raingear, meat bags, food, water, etc, etc..

The flexibility is one of my favorite things about my LBP.

5 day trip? No problem. Loosen the compression straps, put on the lid and hydration sleeve, add the bayonets and by-pass straps and you're good to go.

Evening scouting trip? No problem. Compress down, remove top lid, hydration sleeve, bayonets and by-pass straps, extend Q-bayos, add water bottle pouches and you're good to go.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can't post pics on this site but will link back to some from Bowsite after this hunting season.

I have a $900. Mchale pack and its a deal- one of my top pieces of gear for sure. Now if you would have asked me beforehand or even during the process- I was in major doubt and couldn't comprehend how a pack can be worth all that.

I have 2 Dana packs- still do and tried Badlands,Eberlestock,Kifaru and about 1/2 of the mountaineering packs on the market. Comparing the best of those packs to my Mchale is like comparing an old navy T shirt to a custom tailored italian suit. Even then its not a fair comparison since you can only wear the suit and the pack is versatile. Will your pack carry an 80# meat load [game bag inside a compactor bag] without sliding to the bottom like a sack of potatoes? My Mchale holds it right in the middle of my back

Now I'm a tall guy thats hard to fit with an off the shelf pack so it might not be worth the dough for custom to an avg size guy. But for me to have a pack that fits perfect, functions as a 3-5 day backpack or a daypack that carries a heavy meat load without any sagging all at just below 6#. Theres just no way to explain it to someone- I was skeptical myself before....but not now.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by B_Lance

I have a $900. Mchale pack and its a deal- one of my top pieces of gear for sure. Now if you would have asked me beforehand or even during the process- I was in major doubt and couldn't comprehend how a pack can be worth all that.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to dread the idea of paying $400 for a Kifaru, and now I also own a $900 McHale. And yet the first thing I thought when I got it was, "Holy cow! I got my money's worth." The degree of workmanship that Dan puts into his pack is phenomenal. I'm not sure you can even describe it to someone who hasn't bought one without them thinking your nuts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a pic of the second pack I had made. Its a LBP36 I had made for my mom as a mothers day present. I think I am good for about 10 years worth of Mothers days now grin.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Today was my first hike with the new McHale, did about 13 miles and 3400 ft gain. Had it in day pack mode, although its still big enough for a 5 day trip even with the frame out. The quality of this pack is amazing and it feels great too!

[Linked Image]

S
S
Pic of my CMII that is still being built.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mod7rem
In the spirit of the thread, here is a picture from last years sheep hunt with my CM11 in day mode with the bayonets removed. Everything I need for the day-spotter, tripod, raingear, meat bags, food, water, etc, etc.. [Linked Image]

Good sir, I have a few questions about your setup there. I am in the market for a pack, and these look like the ticket.
For starters, where were you on your sheep hunt? Looks like beautiful country! How did you pack perform (Hauling meat, just gear for hunt?)

I see that both of your arms are at your side, yet your rifle is near at-the-ready. Is this a deceiving photo angle, or do you have some sort of sling/device?

Thank you

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big_W--That's why my pack didnt look as cool��your pack was beside it! crazy

Last edited by coonass; 07/16/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
George, this was a 14 day stones sheep hunt in northern B.C., I went in heavy last year because I took lots of food and it was close to 70lbs everything included. Its very comfortable with that weight but I didnt connect on a ram that year so I wasnt able to load it up any heavier. I did carry a deer in it later in the season and it felt good. The critical mass harness has a one piece belt with 2 sinch straps so the load gets equally distributed all around your waist instead of just hanging off the front of your hip bones. I used to use a kifaru longhunter before this and even though I really like that pack it just didnt work for my hips with loads over 65lbs. Im 140 lbs so I need something that will grab my hips. I had the pack built so I could use the gunbearer from my kifaru pack.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Great photos. I think I might give Dan a call next week.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.