Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks GuyM

He measured 20" inside. Several of my friends told me I screwed up by killing him first because there's a good chance he'll be the biggest I'll ever kill, especially around here in North MS!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Haven't topped it yet. Ended up scoring 179 and change. Was quite a hike. Great day, saw several bull elk and bighorn sheep. Shot with a Remmy 700 270 I bought at a pawnshop with money saved up from my summer job.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is working out to be a GREAT thread. Thanks to all who took the time to respond and post pictures. Great stories of great memories.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
not really a deer but my first at 15

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
1st deer ever 1983 Rem 870
[Linked Image]

1st deer with bow 1984 Oneida Eagle
[Linked Image]

1st good buck Rem 870
[Linked Image]

1st Turkey taken 2nd day I ever turkey hunted gotta love the mullet!
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks again to everyone for the stories and pictures. I had my first hunting license at age 16. I had hunter with my father as long as I can remember. I was ALWAYS the "dog". I shot AT many deer before I got my first on on the ground. My father was the kind of a guy that never shot unless something died. 99% of the time, when he shot, it wasn't legal. Never ever "wasted" a shell on a paper target. He was a depression hunter and killed for food, not sport. Times are somewhat different now, but I still feel that I hunt because I like to eat what I shoot. Thanks again to everyone for posting.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great pics

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd post one but can't seem to master the task of posting pics. Regards, Woody

Take a kid along.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woody1

Woody, I just sent you a PM.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Partagas
[Linked Image]

Haven't topped it yet. Ended up scoring 179 and change. Was quite a hike. Great day, saw several bull elk and bighorn sheep. Shot with a Remmy 700 270 I bought at a pawnshop with money saved up from my summer job.

I like this...

My first one was the day before cameras were invented.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
1949, I don't have a pic....I know we had a camera because Dad brought one home from Germany...along with an 8mm mauser, 6X binoculars from a german officer and a 22LR single shot. A desert mule deer, six marvelous points with a .257 Roberts. Seven years old and for those who say seven year old children won't remember...well I do and can tell you what I had for breakfast that morning. And thats 200+ ungulates and two continents ago. bear

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't have a picture, just great memories !! The year was 1967 and we had a Blizzard the day before season with almost 18" of snow on the ground. My Dad had just returned from town & had spotted a nice buck in the woods near our farm. I volunteered to push the woods to him down the ridge, being only 16 & just legal here in NY. But I had been hunting everything else since I was 7 so I couldn't wait to get a deer.

Well pushed the woods & a nice buck out, but Dad was not there - the snow had flooded the creek & he could not get across. I decided to go up the hill about 200 yards or so to sit & stew about a lost opportunity. Suddenly I heard pounding hoofs & a decent 6 point came running up the hill following my tracks, scared out by Dad. He stopped about 15 feet from me looking down the hill at Dad. I aimed for his neck, closed my eyes & Shot. Well, when I opened my eyes, the buck was doing a backflip, landed on his back & was sliding back down the hill with his hooves pawing the air. He went about 50 yards down hill with me running after him, until he got hung up on a barbed wire fence. I caught up with him just in time to see the big buck looking at me from about 40 yards away - he was standing broadside & was just looking to see what the commotion was about. Having one deer on the ground & one tag, I obviously could only look at him until he decided to scoot out of there.

Probably one of my fondest deer hunting memory. Dad & the farm are long since gone, but those memories live on.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Man, that's a GREAT story. Thanks.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Woody emailed me the picture of HIS first deer ever. I am sure there is a GRESAT story to go with this fabulous picture. So let's hear it. smile smile smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Man, that's a GREAT story. Thanks.

YES that is a GREAT story. smile smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Woody emailed me the picture of HIS first deer ever. I am sure there is a GRESAT story to go with this fabulous picture. So let's hear it. smile smile smile

[Linked Image]

Not a lot to tell. I was ll yrs. old. This Blacktail forked horn came out of a lodgepole thicket near Deadwood Jct. on the Dead Indian Road in So. Oregon. Dad and a family friend posted me where the lodgepole thinned out a bit, circled around and still hunted toward me. This guy came out ahead of them and I popped him at about 60 yds. Rifle was/is a Winchester '94 eastern carbine in 30-30 of course. Thinking back on it, I think Dad may have been more excited than I was and I was plenty excited. Didn't get around to taking a photo until the next summer. The tree I'm beside in the photo is now only a rotting stump. Regards, Woody

Take a kid along.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are some great photos in this thread!

This was 1987 or 1988 but I can't remember which. I was either 9 or 10 years old and it was a button buck at 100yds or so. Shot it with Dad's M600 Mohawk .308 as I sat on his knee in a box blind. We were shooting the reasonably new 150gr Ballistic Tips. This was near the middle of my ten year or so "awkward stage". LOL....

[Linked Image]

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a bit of a late start. The first season I deer hunted was 2010. This is my first buck, 11pt at 25 yards with single shot H&R 20ga. I killed a doe a couple weeks earlier.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by minengr
I got a bit of a late start. The first season I deer hunted was 2010. This is my first buck, 11pt at 25 yards with single shot H&R 20ga. I killed a doe a couple weeks earlier.

[Linked Image]

That is a neat looking buck. Congratulations !!! Let us know how you do this coming year, too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"I got a bit of a late start. " Better late than never! I envy you guys with opportunities for multiple deer. Regards, Woody

Take a kid along.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.