24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Can anyone point me toward a cast bullet primer? I've run them in pistol rounds but I'd like to try some in my new .35 Remington. I've got 500 .358 rnfp, 158gr. That I bought for a .38 revolver years ago. I've gathered about 10 grains of unique should work well for a low recoil plinking load. Will I need to bell the brass to load them? Think I can make. 38 special dies work for that, not sure if the standard two die set I have will bell the brass.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
no special primers needed, your regular small pistol or large pistol or small rifle or large rifle primers will work.

Yes, flair the brass then seat the projectile then just take the belling out of the case, no real need to crimp a lot.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
as far as powder charges, just consult a reloading manual, what ever wt jackted bullet they use substitute your same wt lead bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never had good luck with pistol primers in rifle cases. I'd use rifle primers with rifle cases and vice versa with pistols.

Rolly
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you could find any of the Lyman books it will help you get to where you want to go.
You might look at castboolits.com for more ideas.Some folks are shooting the same setup and have done a lot of work for you already.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I didn't mean primer as in the thing that makes the spark...more in a short read. Took me a couple of days to figure out the strange responses! smile lol

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
I tried a similar bullet in my 35 Rem Ballard rifled Marlin with Trailboss without much luck. I suggest Richard Lee's Modern Reloading and the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the Lyman book. An excellent primer.

Before doing anything though, I would slug the bore of your rifle to determine groove diameter. Optimal plain base cast bullet performance in a rifle almost demands its diameter be a couple thousandths over that dimension. (They'll work if undersized, but accuracy may suffer as well as probably induce leading. One way to find out.)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/02/12.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a lot of usefull information on this site,

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a newbie too, haven't cast a bullet yet as I'm still looking for a place locally that has WW I can buy. but I have been checking out a few of the youtube videos, for me it helps watching someone do it as they axplain why they do it this way or that. after seeing a bunch of set ups I've been trying to tailor the set up I'm putting together how I feel it would best suit me, then I'll start and change things a little if I see fit once I'm up and running. I'm still looking for a melting pot. can a guy use the same pot for casting out of as for making ingots? or is there a contamination issue?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
When smelting to make ingots I use a large stainless flat bottom dog dish, heat slowly on a turkey fryer burner so any zinc weights don't melt, skim off the steel clips and flux well with sawdust or dry oak leaves, and mold in a muffin tin.
Way too messy for a casting furnace.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thats kinda what I thought but I wasn't sure. thank you for the clarification. I have a small 8"x4"x4" cast iron pot I picked up at an antique store, looks to have been casted in before perhaps, I'm thinking it would work great for smelting, but I'm unsure how to heat it. would a simple hot plate work? or can I use the burner from my propane grill to heat it? I'm thinkin if I do I might take it off the grill and plumb it to a tank and make a metal shroud to hold the pot and keep heat inside. whats best to get the lead into the muffin tin for ingots? the ladle I have is small, I think its a lee. would a simple used ladle from a thrift store work? is that a good place to find a muffin tin too?

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
Bigger is better for the smelting pot, I do batches rather than adding a little at a time to stay away from the fumes and avoid spatter. A thrift store perforated spoon and a good sized soup ladle work great. Be careful of plastic handles, this stuff is hotter'n my venison chilli. Another handy item is a point and shoot non-contact digital thermometer. I mark my alloy that has tin added by putting a green leaf in the muffin tin before pouring, leaves a fossil like impression.
Be sure to quarantine your equipment so nobody cooks for consumption with any of it.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ok, so the smelting pot doesn't have to be cast iron? I can use an old sauce pan? whats the best way to heat a large pan? will my burner idea work?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
cast iron is the best, alum or other material will "melt" and you'll have a mess. May not melt the first or the 10th time but it will.

yep get a big soup ladle, from a thrift store, get a good stainless steel one, works great!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
I use a big flat bottom stainless dog dish, works great. Don't forget how heavy it gets. The turkey fryer burner I use is also used to boil a 15 gal keg full of beer.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Find a cast iron dutch oven. Coleman stove on the porch for heat. Check some junk sales for stuff from a blacksmith shop for a big ladle.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my set-up. I started with what I could find as cast off heavy botomed stainless steel kitchen pots on a camp burner and it has been very effective for a whole lot of years and uncounted bullets. Simple works. The ply tray is for the bullets as cast.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Last edited by VonGruff; 02/13/12.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy a Lee bottom feed elecric pot, Lee molds, Lee neck expander die, Lee liquid lube and a Lee bullet sizing die to fit your press. Get some beeswax for flux and check with your local tire stores for junk wheelweights. Buy the Lyman cast bullet book and read it several times.
Use Trailboss Powder and LR primers. You'll be shooting for the price of 22 RF ammo.
Results from bone stock Ruger 77 w/2.5X scope @100. 31 gr 4198, 15gr cornmeal, 1600 fps, 292 gr NEI GC, SPG lube, 100 yards.
Bullet below, expanded one dug out of clay berm @ 300 yards.
May will mark my 55th years shooting cast bullets....they work and kill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best part of bullet casting is just what interthem is saying. inexpensive shooting and working up a load that will shoot straight. There is a great deal of satisfaction in taking a game animal with your own cast bullet.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.