Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
oew Offline
O
Hi all i am new at this forum,
sorry to open this thread again after so many time
but it is very good one about the gram thinsulate.
I decide the best thinsulate for me is 600 - 800 gram

I would like to ask you about what mark of boot to choose??
i have seen so many models in the market!!
and i need your help what to buy.
What boots do you have?
how many years do you use them, are you happy with them ?

I have seen
Timberland - Wolverine - lowa - danner - Golden Retriever -
aigle - meindl - salomon - rocky - LaCrosse - Irish setter -
Columbia - Chippewa - Georgia and even more brands

What to choose i would like your opinion
Thanks for your time

Also if someone dont want to tell public his opinion about a brand sent me a mesage.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use 2 different boots most of the time when I elk hunting. i have been using 400gr Elk trackers for over 5 years now and they worked great for most of my needs, I also have 800gr Cabelas brand boots as well i think the oufitters. I alternate between the 2 when or if one gets too wet. I have used the Danners when I was in the military and they worked good but i was replacing them every 2 year,but that was over 10 years ago so i do not know how good they are being built now.

Oh wellcome to the Campfire btw.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have some Irish Setter 400 thinsulate that are close to perfect for general cold weather hunting and walking, don't feel real heavy.
Have used them sitting in a stand in Kansas when temp was in the teens, they were OK with a sticky hot toe pad stuck to the bottom of my socks.

Also have a pair of 1000 gram Danner that are not as cumbersome as pack boots but are noticeably larger than my 400 grams. Have used them in Alberta stand hunting when it was -15f with hot toe pads, and they were OK.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I wear Meindl Perfekt boots year around. It has 400-gram Thinsulate. I wear wool socks with them. I don't get too hot in the summer, and never get cold in the winter hiking in snow.

It doesn't get real hot here, so your mileage may not be the same. My feet don't sweat much though. Wool socks seem to be enough to absorb any moisture.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the temperature range you mentioned, I would be comfortable in 600/800 grams if sitting for extended periods. If the primary function was walking though, it would be 600 grams or less.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I wear Meindl Perfekt boots year around. It has 400-gram Thinsulate. I wear wool socks with them. I don't get too hot in the summer, and never get cold in the winter hiking in snow.

Short of sitting for extened periods in temperatures below 20F, I agree. I find my Perfekt's are good year-round.

Last edited by Washburn; 02/13/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Washburn

Short of sitting for extened periods in temperatures below 32F, I agree. I find my Perfekt's are good year-round.

My feet don't seem to get cold. As a still hunter i'm standing more than walking in snow most of the time. I'm not moving fast enough to stay warm. I would think that would be colder than someone on a stand that can brush off the snow.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Short of sitting for extened periods in temperatures below 32F, I agree. I find my Perfekt's are good year-round.

My feet don't seem to get cold. As a still hunter i'm standing more than walking in snow most of the time. I'm not moving fast enough to stay warm. I would think that would be colder than someone on a stand that can brush off the snow.

Interesting. I actually find it the opposite. I do a fair amount of hunting in a stand as well as still hunting like you described. If I'm moving at all, even if that movement is only every 30 minutes to an hour, my feet stay nice and toasty in a boot with much less insulation. I actually wore uninsulated rubber boots for years when stalking without issue. If I'm climbing up in an open tree stand to sit for 8 hours, I find that I need a boot with more in terms of insulation if the temps are dipping below the 20 degree mark.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our late Jan hunts here can be rather extreme so I have three pairs 800,1200 and 2000..Northern Dave was right go at least one boot size larger[in my case 2 sizes with 1200+2000 ]to make room for socks and air circulation.Two years ago Jan.we came off the field the first night and the actual air temp was -21 the 2000 gram with 2 pairs of socks did the trick...I hate cold feet!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scarpa Inverno, Lacrosse Big Chief and Bata. That pretty much covers it for the time being, other than an uninsulated boot for hunting the Lower-48.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Interesting. I actually find it the opposite. I do a fair amount of hunting in a stand as well as still hunting like you described. If I'm moving at all, even if that movement is only every 30 minutes to an hour, my feet stay nice and toasty in a boot with much less insulation. I actually wore uninsulated rubber boots for years when stalking without issue. If I'm climbing up in an open tree stand to sit for 8 hours, I find that I need a boot with more in terms of insulation if the temps are dipping below the 20 degree mark.

Guess i'm lucky I don't sit in trees to hunt. smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just bought a pair of the Cabelas Outfitter Boots, the new version. They are 600 gram and they relaced an older pair of Cabelas boots. I used the older boots for all of my outdoor activities including standing an entire day out on ski slopes filming the kids on my team. I never had "frozen "feet. Yes there were times they were cold but never to the point of being unbearable. Hunting, hiking, shoveling snow that's all I've ever worn and I haven't had a problem. I do wear wool socks and change them regularly. I really believe that is the key to my success.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
O
oew Offline
O
Hi all thanks for the answers so far

i have seen cabelas boots but they are not them other companies make for them and i dont know yet.

I am close to wolverine but it is to early to choose so i can wait for more anwers

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oew
Hi all thanks for the answers so far

i have seen cabelas boots but they are not them other companies make for them and i dont know yet.

I am close to wolverine but it is to early to choose so i can wait for more anwers

Don't wait too long.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 72 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.