Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Brad
The only reason I'd use a 700 action is for a SA varminter... I think I'd go 700, though it certainly doesn't matter either way... as Dober points out, it's the trigger not the action.

Bob, is the 6xC essentially a 6mm-250/3000?

It can be formed out of 22-250 cases, the neck is expanded to 6mm, the shoulder is pushed back and the body taper is reduced.

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 02/11/12.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Bob,

Think trigger, fast locktime, cylindrical bedding surface, bases with 20 MOA of downhill for extended range. cool

Mmmm...........John you can't get one of the bases for a Sako, right?

I assumed a Sako of that type had the intergral bases and your only optic mounting options would be in ring selection.

With 20 MOA of downhill on a square action and an optic with a proper amount of travel you will be able to dial to 1 mile running the 105 VLD at 3050fps in the thin air around a little town called Medicine Bow. grin

One 20 MOA revolution will get you to just over 950yds. Such rifles are pretty useful. cool

450yds with the 105 VLD
[Linked Image]
475yds
[Linked Image]
500yds
[Linked Image]
300yds
[Linked Image] \
250yds
[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Bob your comming around... smile

Ackleyfan: Well I ain't giving up my pre 64 270's, or my Mashburn... grin I like them both too much! I have killed a lot of stuff with my black-powder, front stuffer 270's cool

But this will be a fun rifle,low recoil,lotsa reach,and accurate.

John Burns it'll be hell on wheels near Medicine Bow.....can I hit that rock at 1200 with it? grin

Funny story following our shoot fest....after you left, Bill,John and I reconoitered that evening,and saw a cow elk below the Eagle, a long ways off and for which John had a tag.......Bill said, "If we had John's 264 Win Mag, we could kill that cow.....!" grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What do you guys think?

A New Bullet Makes a Good Cartridge Even Better
The new 115gr 6mm from DTAC is an outstanding projectile--inherently accurate, easy to tune, and slippery in the wind. While perhaps a bit heavy for the 6BR or even 6BR Improved case, it works perfectly in the 6XC case. This combination--115 grainer in 6XC case--is a proven winner. The new 6mm bullet won both the 2004 NRA High Power Long Range Rifle Championship and across-the-course title. Shooting a Tubb 2000 rifle in the Long Range event, David set a record with the first-ever perfect score of 1450/1450. Is the 6XC for you? Consider these credentials:

1. The 6XC won the NRA High Power Rifle Nat'l Championship the last four years.

2. With the 115gr DTAC, the 6XC is now a viable long-range cartridge with ballistics that rival a 6.5-284 shooting a 142gr SMK at 2950 fps. This means that a Cross-course shooter can now use one rifle and one cartridge for all events.

To order DTAC 115gr bullets or 6XC brass, contact Superior Shooting Systems: (806) 323-9488. Bullets cost $18/100 with a 500-ct minimum. Tubb-headstamp 6XC brass runs $32/100

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob I'd bet you'd rather run the 105 VLD or 105 AMAX. The DTACs seem to be perfectly suited for the guys shooting 1000 yard matches, and not for playing around so much.

When you get tired of this rig, let me know wink

IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tanner yes, I agree on the bullet weights....I just thought the comparison to the 6.5/284 was interesting....I intend to use those 105-107's.

Just got through looking at load data and it seems RL17 gets some high marks for velocity.But sifting through it all,looks like 3000-3100 is in the rnage for those bullets, although from a 24" tube who knows?

You think this will turn out purty good, huh? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is just one youngster with an inkling of experience talking here, but when I started going through powders in my 243/105gr pill workup, H4350, which works for millions of guys and was recommended to me by a few different fellas, didn't allow me to get the speeds I was after without running into some pressure signs.

I know BradArnett uses '17 in his 243A.I. and that dood can SHOOT! I've never tried it, but a max load of Retumbo and the Amaxes kissing the lands gave me 3025 fps and shot about 1/2 inch at 100. Not comparable to some of the groups you see by the guys here, but it works for me.

looking at the 6XC page on 6br, it looks like they all love H4350 in that cart, and I know Pat uses it in his.

And yeah, I think this dog will hunt wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,
I have a whole box of the 115g DTACs if you wouuld like to try some.
In my 1-8 twisted Rock 243 WCF the 105g AMAX out shot the DTAC in the accuracy department by far.
My gun just didnt like them.
The 105 AMAX shoots in just about everything.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tanner/Dave thanks for the advise.....I got aways to go on this rifle yet....won't be ready for awhile, but Dane I might try those bullets. Right now I want to work the Bergers and the Amax when I get it set up.

Seems like a good place to start....

Tanner do you think I will break 3000 with 107's in a 24" tube and Rl17?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bases upon what Brad saw with it in a 24" 243AI, I'd wager that you'll see 3k with '17 no problem. Any idea what sorta throat you'll cut in it? Just curious...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are you thinking for a trigger pull weight?

dave

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been trying to build something along those lines,sort of. I want to use an X-Treme Shooting Ti action and McM Edge Classic Sporter stock. Other projects keep getting in the way. The first attempt, earlier this winter, is nearing completion with a BAT HR action with integral 20moa rail, Kreiger #19 barrel, Greybull stock, Jewell trigger, and S&B scope. 7 mag. Somehow it kept growing into a dedicated 1K walking rock chuck rifle that can go elk hunting.
I started thinking about it again recently and ended up with an HS Precision PHL in 300 WSM. Damn... why is it so hard to get a simple 6mm something built?
Maybe next year...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TannerGun
.....This is just one youngster with an inkling of experience talking here......

Yeah but you're a youngster with a brain....I can tell. wink

I don't know about the throat....but I will have those bullets up out of the case and into the neck, for sure, which is the reason for the dimensions of the case....I guess it fits a short Remington well. I need to find out what reamer my guy has....Tubbs carries Henrickson's...I understand they don't get any better.

Dave as to trigger weight, I dunno....lighter than what I use on a BG rifle, but I don't like too light...I have a gorilla touch. smile What do you figure?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never walk around with anything lighter than two lbs.
Big game wise.

The varmint rigs kinda depends.
I have a full on bag style rifle with the 2 oz. Jewell.
But it never gets shot off of anything other than a front rest and rear bag.
The 243 WCF up top along with the 17 Mach IV have rifle basic triggers set to 1- 1.5.
I never use Jewell triggers for anything other than full on BR rigs except for the bag gun. I just cant see a 3 lever trigger on a "hunting" carry rifle.
The rifle basic trigger has a nice wide trigger shoe that feels good.The jewell is just a wire E.D.M.ed piece of A-2 tool steel thats just straight....you dont get to keep your finger on a 2 ozser for very long.... The basic will save you some doe for the same kinda performance...just sayen.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cobrad
I've been trying to build something along those lines,sort of. I want to use an X-Treme Shooting Ti action and McM Edge Classic Sporter stock. Other projects keep getting in the way. The first attempt, earlier this winter, is nearing completion with a BAT HR action with integral 20moa rail, Kreiger #19 barrel, Greybull stock, Jewell trigger, and S&B scope. 7 mag. Somehow it kept growing into a dedicated 1K walking rock chuck rifle that can go elk hunting.
I started thinking about it again recently and ended up with an HS Precision PHL in 300 WSM. Damn... why is it so hard to get a simple 6mm something built?
Maybe next year...

nice

dave

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't have a real need to go super light on the trigger....maybe 2.5 pounds sounds fine to me.

Who makes this 20 MOA downhill base John Burns mentioned? confused

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by dave7mm
I never walk around with anything lighter than two lbs.
Big game wise.

The varmint rigs kinda depends.
I have a full on bag style rifle with the 2 oz. Jewell.
But it never gets shot off of anything other than a front rest and rear bag.
The 243 WCF up top along with the 17 Mach IV have rifle basic triggers set to 1- 1.5.
I never use Jewell triggers for anything other than full on BR rigs except for the bag gun. I just cant see a 3 lever trigger on a "hunting" carry rifle.
The rifle basic trigger has a nice wide trigger shoe that feels good.The jewell is just a wire E.D.M.ed piece of A-2 tool steel thats just straight....you dont get to keep your finger on a 2 ozser for very long.... The basic will save you some doe for the same kinda performance...just sayen.

dave

For this kind of build I would prefer a Jewell over a RB, I have both on different rifles set at 3 lbs and the jewell is hands down a nicer trigger, and I expect the rifle would see more bag time than walk around time to me it's a no brainer!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glen Seekens.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My smith can tweak a RB to a point I actually like it better the a Jewell.
Like the RB trigger shoe better then the Jewell.
Another trigger worth mention is Kelbys new trigger.
Very nice.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by TannerGun
.....This is just one youngster with an inkling of experience talking here......

Yeah but you're a youngster with a brain....I can tell. wink

I don't know about the throat....but I will have those bullets up out of the case and into the neck, for sure, which is the reason for the dimensions of the case....I guess it fits a short Remington well. I need to find out what reamer my guy has....Tubbs carries Henrickson's...I understand they don't get any better.

Dave as to trigger weight, I dunno....lighter than what I use on a BG rifle, but I don't like too light...I have a gorilla touch. smile What do you figure?
That's what I was gonna say, make you sure you can get those long VLDs at the neck/shoulder junction and still kiss the lands! That seems to be the ticket. Man... I need to stop looking at this thread. This is bad bad stuff smile

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.