Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Any testimonials one way or the other?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ironbender, they work. They are pricey and as far as I know only come in 3" widths. Also, there are ways to create the same effect for yourself, but if you are experiencing knee or ankle pain when riding they are worth looking at. I really recommend them for people who don't ride often. For example, in spite of the cost, if I owned a string of dude horses I'd put Crooked Stirrups on the saddles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I had a leather saddle, I used those little metal gizmos that offset the stirrips so your knees still work after 10 hours on the trail. At 50 pounds all up, that saddle was leading me to rotator cuff surgery. Switched to an all synthetic saddle and bags (Abebetta) that weighs 21 pounds and even has a memory foam cushion seat to protect my bony old azz. With cordura saddle you don't need the offsets as the fender are far more flexible. Low cool factor, high comfort factor.

[Linked Image]

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I've seen them for about $85 recently. While spendy, that is considerably less than the $180 or so I saw them for about 2 years ago.

If I could just borrow a set, I could copy them.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my mom a set of twisted/slanted stirrups (she has short legs and a bad knee) and she LOVES them. Another of her friends bought the same pair.

Think they were Wells Twisted/Slanted?

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I'm not looking for the kind with a pivot in them, but the style that allows an angle to foot placement.

[Linked Image]

OK, I found the Walls twisted. Does the pair you got look like this?
[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Robster, those look like my wife's pair. Ironbender, some guys have taken to modifying their existing stirrups. Sometimes you can angle either the existing foot pad or you can modify the hanger. I know one guy who puts an angled piece of wood in his pad and seems to think it works. Many years ago I believe there were stirrups out there that set the hanger bar at an angle. But I think if you bought a pair you wouldn't be disappointed. I think they especially help with round-barreled horses. I'm not an eBay guy, but have you checked?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the pair I posted in the link and I think they help a lot. Need to get a pair for my daughter but most of her riding is english. She only rides western on the trail or when we go camping so it is not all that often to justify the expense.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

OK, I found the Walls twisted. Does the pair you got look like this?
[Linked Image]

Those are it, been very happy with them and with the twist they help with shorter leg people as well or on newer saddles with fenders that aren't broken in.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
not an Ebay-er either.

I might make a set. From the pics, it looks like they have a 15* angle.

Or, I might just buy a pair. Prices are about half what they were not too long ago.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I must be really backward.I have never heard or seen these. What are they suppose to do?

On long rides,the out side of my foot ( little toe) tends to start to hurt from my weight in the saddle and that edge of my foot pressing outward. I probably tend to use more weight in the stirrup than most, as I ride a lot of rough country hunting. Going up hills isn't a problem. Coming down is.

Or it might be that sometimes I have pack animals that think they need to do some thing else, and I have to dally to pull them along and then I must counter balance with my foot to keep the saddle in place.

I can't use them anyway as I have the STI breakaway stirrups that cannot be fitted with these.

Interesting though and I'm always ready to learn more things. How about explaining them?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
What are they suppose to do?

If you ever look at someone from behind while riding you'll notice the persons legs going out at an angle. The shorter the legs and/or the fatter the horse the angle is even more.

Your body will naturally put more pressure on that outside of your foot and after a while it can just plain hurt, plus your balance isn't as good as it could be as your not getting all the contact you could be or it's not evened out if you look at it that way.

The slanted stirrups help alleviate such conditions and the twisted/slanted stirrups just help to keep your stirrup at a 45 degree angle with the saddle (the way they're supposed to be).

Several pro Rodeo Cowboys use the slanted stirrups and from my experience they're worth the investment.

edit: Scroll down and look at the pics
http://crookedstirrups.com/

Last edited by cal74; 02/14/12.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
"Your body will naturally put more pressure on that outside of your foot and after a while it can just plain hurt"

That's me.I'm 5'5" and my legs don't reach very far down on my 15hd fat mule.

So if I could figure out away to build up the outside inner surface of my break away stirrups, would that work.
I have been hung up and hanging up is a lot worse than hurting toes.

Thanks

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/14/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks real interesting Mike - have you got a set coming yet?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks real interesting Mike - have you got a set coming yet?

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Vince-
I haven't used them yet, but I've seen them and know a few folks that have used them. The theory os that it takes the torque away from the knee. The knee does not have to twist against itself when in pretty much a sitting position, knees spread, and toes pointed back in. The stirrups fit the ergonomics of that position and are easier on the knees.

on a trail ride or riding into camp, etc., I often have to take my feet out of my stirrups to ease the discomfort of my knees.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Not yet Dan. We're planning our annual spring hammer-in and I may make a set then.

Tack-shop Charlie had some in his trailer store at the rodeos. I think he uses them and a few other ropers. The funny thing to me is those guys are only in the saddle for 20-30 minutes at a time.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My knees at this point are ok.The only thing that really hurts is the outside of my foot.Mostly at my little toe.

Know what you mean about ropers and only ridng 20 minutes or so.Had a guy once bragging about the pad/blanket he was using as all the ropers used them. I pointed that out and it quickly ended the conversation.
Not to take anything away from ropers, but until someone spends 10-15 hours a day in the saddle for a few months, 24 /7, they really don't get an appreciation of what works and what doesn't.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not a roper, but if the stirrups help with balance during a roping run. Their rides are high intensity. Zero to wide open, stand up, throw rope, sit down, dally, brace for impact and veer left, stop back up under tension.... Endurance riders use thins leathers and big tread to get comfort.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.