Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
What is the fastest pack test time you have witnessed? The fastest I have seen that was a legitimate walk was 35.38. I keep hearing of people that say they have done or seen it in the high 20's. How do you walk that fast?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm kinda new here, WTF is a "pack test"?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork

I think it's a test course for firemen, but not sure...

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jnyork

It is the physical fitness test you have to complete to receive a "red card" for wildland firefighting. Carry 45# 3 miles in under 45 minutes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You can't walk 3 miles in under 30min with a 45# ruck. I used to get guys ready for SFAS. A really fit guy who trains, on a gravel road can get slightly under 12min miles, without running. Any faster than that and you've got to break into a slow trot.

Army SF standards used to be every ODA member could maintain a 14min/mile pace with a 45# ruck plus web gear and rifle for 12 miles.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks, that goes along with what I have seen. I try to always be at 40 Min. which is a 13.33 mile and for me that is walking as fast as I possibley can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SLM,

How many steps per minute is that?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
...Army SF standards used to be every ODA member could maintain a 14min/mile pace with a 45# ruck plus web gear and rifle for 12 miles....

What is ODA?

If I did 12 miles w/a 45# ruck in under 3 hours, I would lay down and take a NAP! blush

Only problem , when I woke up, I might not be able to move! grin

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When Dad had his first MI he started walking a lot after that.

He and I could walk a 12 minute mile. Thats without gear etc... and if you went ANY faster it would be into a jog.... at least IMHO it would be EASIER to jog at that point.

Glad I don't have to hit those markers to be a volunteer fire fighter. It would be better for my health though and I'm running the insanity tapes now to get into better health, at 47 you just can't rely on normal everyday stuff to keep you in fire fighting shape it seems...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
do they have a different test for girls?

Sam......

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The female wildland fighters I have spoken with on our wildland fires where we went to mutual aid have told me its all the same.

And talking with them and working with them, I don't doubt that they are as good as any one else on their teams.

That combined with the fact that my slightly over 100 pound wife carries a 60 ish pound pack on elk hunts, too many folks assume women cannot get the job done and thats simply not the fact. Like anything else, it depends on your training and desire.

Where I've seen the most failures on the fire fields has been with the bigger males.... out of shape and just can't hang. Thats where I never want to get...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
You can't walk 3 miles in under 30min with a 45# ruck. I used to get guys ready for SFAS. A really fit guy who trains, on a gravel road can get slightly under 12min miles, without running. Any faster than that and you've got to break into a slow trot.

Army SF standards used to be every ODA member could maintain a 14min/mile pace with a 45# ruck plus web gear and rifle for 12 miles.

During smokejumper training in the 1960's, we had to carry our packs (110#) 3.5 miles back to camp in 90 minutes, and this included fording a stream and packing through underbrush. I came in 3rd from last, out of 21.

Last edited by djs; 02/15/12.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
do they have a different test for girls?

No. Same test.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
From the McCall (ID) Smokejumper web site, it says:

"Remember, these are just the minimums. Much more will be required during the following five weeks. For instance, one of the most demanding physical requirements of the job is the gear pack-out. Smokejumper gear and tools weigh up to 115 pounds per person. Smokejumpers must be able to carry this gear to the nearest trail, road, or helispot after suppressing the fire. This may be a distance of 10 miles or more in rough terrain. During training, smokejumper candidates are required to demonstrate their ability to pack 110 pounds of gear a distance of three miles in 90 minutes or less, over a level course."

see: http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/people/smokejumpers/mccall/physical.html

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a quad a couple of years ago 'cause I didn't like the thought of carring a full pack anywhere. blush laugh laugh

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I was young and the car broke down, I made it from my house to the stable, about 7 miles uphill, in an hour and a half. Now I'm lucky to make it to the bathroom and back while the commercials are playing.

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
SLM,

How many steps per minute is that?

I have no idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
When I was young and the car broke down, I made it from my house to the stable, about 7 miles uphill, in an hour and a half. Now I'm lucky to make it to the bathroom and back while the commercials are playing.

How many steps per minute is that, John ..... grin

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rost495
When Dad had his first MI he started walking a lot after that.

He and I could walk a 12 minute mile. Thats without gear etc... and if you went ANY faster it would be into a jog.... at least IMHO it would be EASIER to jog at that point.

Glad I don't have to hit those markers to be a volunteer fire fighter. It would be better for my health though and I'm running the insanity tapes now to get into better health, at 47 you just can't rely on normal everyday stuff to keep you in fire fighting shape it seems...

We are also a volunteer department. Our department requires anyone on a wildland fire to be red carded.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I guess every department can have differing quals required.

I"d say that you have a worse chance of being in a big "forest fire" than we do, we almost always have a way out pretty quick here.

I"m WAY impressed with the wildland fighters from the Forest Service.

Even though I TRY to stay/get in shape all the time for the worst case scenario plus it helps conserve air on SCBA tanks in structure fires, I know that MAYBE 10% of our department could meet that marker.

I"m not actually sure I could, but then again I have not put on any kind of backpack for training now in a couple of years so no real clue.

Curiously, what do you do for exercise to stay up? Our manuals suggest 1 hour a day of cardio/weights. And of course I don't know of any of our guys that burn an hour, though I"m typically at 30-60 or so minutes almost every day at a minimum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 26 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.