Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
jimmyp,

yes

roger=larry=interthem=oldman1942=bosslady= .......

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
ARIC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks, just asked Rick the same thing. Would not have done it without interthem's PM that I posted above.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
adios Jimmie boy, you and EH are now joined.

Last edited by interthem; 02/15/12.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good job JimmmyP !!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
This has been very informative. That is why I posed the question. I prefer informed decision making over impulse buys which, I have been known to do. I have always been interested in a better mouse trap but have come to learn that mouse traps are certainly not discriminate on whom they drop the break-neck spring.

This may come as a surprise to some but I am most interested in the 458 SOCOM. I came within a gnats whisker of purchasing one two weeks ago but was concerned I may have been buying someone elses problems.

I appreciate all the input.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by interthem

Will you please limit your input to the subject matter ONLY?

If you're looking to fight with someone, go to their house, face them man to man & duke it out.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
good for killing people and questionable (compared to alternatives) as a hunting rifle.

4.5 pound 223 with lexan magazine, w/o scope, light & laser. Shoots minute of raghead out to 300. That's all it is for.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey mall ninja! good google fu pics! Bold statement...where is your proof? Oh I see just your inane BS again....

I guess Brownells is selling that special kit to clean piston ARs (including the tube) just because all their customers are fools.

Only one fool here.....YOU!

Hmmmm...you don't think...

No, not possible

...no way

Intertherm actually is the notorious Mall Ninja?

wink

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you are looking at the 458 SOCOM, you obviously have a purpose in mind for the rifle.

I do not own one of those, so I can't say one way or the other, but if it suits your needs, go for it. I suspect you reload, right?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
This has been very informative. That is why I posed the question. I prefer informed decision making over impulse buys which, I have been known to do. I have always been interested in a better mouse trap but have come to learn that mouse traps are certainly not discriminate on whom they drop the break-neck spring.

This may come as a surprise to some but I am most interested in the 458 SOCOM. I came within a gnats whisker of purchasing one two weeks ago but was concerned I may have been buying someone elses problems.

I appreciate all the input.

I would like to shoot one of those. Ought to be a fun one!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Isn't that just special....I'll bet he is worried about it..........NOT!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
458 socom is a great round I have the 50 beowulf, and from teh standpoint of bullet choice and can ability, I wished I had the socom instead.

Generally speaking unless a chamber is mangled IE not reamed concentric etc.... any function problem on an AR is usually a matter of some research and generally a fairly inexpensive fix.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Stoner pretty well knew what he was doing, when he went to DI. You obviously avoid the piston rattling next to the barrel.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
If you are looking at the 458 SOCOM, you obviously have a purpose in mind for the rifle.

I do not own one of those, so I can't say one way or the other, but if it suits your needs, go for it. I suspect you reload, right?

I do reload, yes sir. I love all things 45.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Then I think you may have all the answers you were looking for. I look forward to your first range report.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I once read an article on the problems that early M-16's had in Vietnam. It seems the problem mostly where failure to remove a spent case from the chamber and this was mostly caused by a change in powder at the last minute without timing the DI gas system to match. It seam the gas system was moving the bolt back when the case was still under pressure and being forced against the walls of the chamber, thus jamming the gun.
In other words the problems in Nam were not a inherent flaw in the design, but rather caused by a last minute change in ammo that required a change in gas system timing, which was never done.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes, folks always remember the bad vs the good.

The AR is fine platform as is.

BUT you always have to come up wiht some BS crap to make more money... cough silencer etc... The piston in the AR is the same .... ain't nuttin wrong with what we have as is.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Ok, so I have decided to purchase the RRA 458 SOCOM upper which comes with the mid length hand guard: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=424

Not buying a lower at this time.

Should I simply purchase RRA's entry level model and scout my own personal preferences as far as accessories? Going into it I know I want the front vertical grip attachment so I will need the right hand guard.

Having done very little study on accessories, is there better stuff?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you can always find "better"

The real question is do you need better and can afford better?

Its much like vehicles sometimes IMHO. What does a Benz do that a Chevy doesn't? But if you want the Benz....

But beyond that, for me there has to be a need.

I suspect for what you are aftger, you'll find a 1-1.5 moa gun at worst that will function fine. Then its what you want to add on beyond that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are so many different accessories available for AR-15's it's nuts. Some of the stuff is of better quality than others some of it costs more but isn't. A lot of it boils down to personal preference.

I like Geissele triggers, Magpul Miad Grips, Angled ForGrips and Rail Covers, Surefire 952V-TN lights, and Larue Optics Mounts. But that's just personal preference there's 30 other choices to do the same job. If you are set on a Vertical forgrip the little Larue FUG is one of the nicest.

Good luck dressing it out. You'll probably end up changing stuff around later anyway. AR-15s are Adult Lego's...............dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Personally I hate that operator handguard and it looks to take a special wrench to remove. It's too big, too heavy and just plain ugly. I could not find the right place to "drive" the gun. See if they'd build you one with a Troy TRX Extreme rail and a low profile gas block.

Lot's of choices out there and if you're set on a vertical grip, look at Tango Down. I prefer the stubby grips but I use it mostly for a hand stop which is another option...

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.