Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I disagree. In F-class LR, where EVERYTHING is important, it is critical to have the rifle as clean as a whistle on the outside so as to make sure the heat transfer from the barrel and the action to the atmosphere is the same for every shot. The last thing you want is a piece of snot on the barrel that affects the heat radiation between shot 12 and shot 13. This is how you get unexplained flyers and you shot a 9 instead of a 10 or a 10 instead of an X.

I realize this is seldom discussed but it's an issue nonetheless.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Jeff have you ever seen the paint jobs on some of those rifles? Most of the "smart" ones run a polished action, guess i'll never learn... smile

Yep, thats one thing you take away from BR mostly... they LOVE their shiny acttions/painted stocks...

And to be honest, one set of hardware on my service rifles is painted green/red chameleon whatever that paint is... mirage... One of the wifes is painted blue... was kinda gettin bored with all the ARs we had all being black.... hypocrite that I be at times.

Denys
You were supposed to keep that quiet RE fingerprints and such on metal causing fliers. Most could never figure that out, especially since it didn't happen until the metals passed a certain temp range and required cooling. Now I guess everyone is gonna figure that out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
AJ, I downloaded the spreadsheet from Lilja. I made the adjustments for my barrel contour and the weight is just a bit below 6 pounds. Now, I'm thinking of going back to .900. Nah, I'll just leave it alone.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Sorry, it seems I let the cat out of the bag about smudges on the barrel and action. Too late now.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
AJ, about the riflescope. My current Weaver has done well for me but I have noticed in the past couple of years that when it's heavily overcast I have a problem seeing the fine reticle with the target dot on the target at 600 and 1000 yards, especially the latter.

At the match last week, I simply couldn't it see it most times and I was aiming as best I could based on the outline. With a 1.1mm exit pupil and my aging eyes, I am just surrendering too many points because I can't see. Looking at my records for the last year, there seems to be a tendency for my scores to be down on cloudy days. In bright sunshine, the scope is fine, but otherwise...

So, enter the NSX with a larger exit pupil and an illuminated reticle. I hope to get it mounted this weekend and have it ready for the match in March.

(Now, I will have to make sure there are no smudges on the barrel.)

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never let equipment beat you. Always make sure if you loose, you've beaten yourself.

That was VERY good use of data books to learn about the scope... they ain't score books, they are data books and very important.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The numbers confirmed a notion that was developing in my head.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
AJ, I downloaded the spreadsheet from Lilja. I made the adjustments for my barrel contour and the weight is just a bit below 6 pounds. Now, I'm thinking of going back to .900. Nah, I'll just leave it alone.

Just a thought, I'm thinking those heavy palma barrels that are comming in at 7.5lbs are a modified heavy palma contour. Some people are running the straight shank to 5" long instead of the standard 2.5"/3" to allow for setting the barrel back. I don't have excel on this laptop, will have to wait till I get home from work tonight and play with the numbers...

My Rock Creek barrel has the longer straight shank.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Good point. Let me know your thoughts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
AJ, thoughts on differences between Rock and Krieger? I"m thinking same quality basically has been my experiences

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I did some playing around with the spreadsheet trying all sorts of variations on the shank and so on. It really did not amount to much difference.

However, I am not going to change the specs and I will leave it a .860 muzzle diaemeter and 32 inches long. This will make sure I make weight with a bit to spare and it will give me some peace of mind. Plus I can always attach a cappucino machine or a windmeter and still make weight.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a heavy palma finished at 32 rock barrel, borden action. I was very aware of weight for other components barrel weight came in 6.5 lbs before chambering and crowning.
Your Panda is within 2oz of mine action. I had to forgo the barnard.
we both run jewell triggers
If I remember correctly you are running a sinclair bipod. That is a heavy sob for a heavy palma. i doubt you would have make weight. You having changed to a medium/heavy this could be interesting.
My nightforce BR model is ounces lighter then the NXS.
With the Panda action you might look at getting kelby rings they are lighter then the Nightforce i ended up having to change my steel to nightforce ultralights and drilling out the 3 way butt assembly. i use an LRaccuracy bipod that weights 24oz. I tipped the scale at 18lbs ounces to spare with my setup.but not if it is raining LOL
the rail.
My Br nightforce has 40min does the nxs have 50? i have found shooting the heavies like you 180 - 190 i need more rail to get down to 300. 20 moa isn't enough

I added a bubble level vortex.. if you plan to use one and don't have one picked out find a different model this is heavy (read tactical) for what it is doing

it will come down to stock choice i have a robertson composite weighing in a 5lbs.

Can we ask what stock. and the weight of the NXS.
Trevor

Last edited by Trevor60; 02/17/12.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Trevor, good of you to reply.
My stock is a PR&T which I just received earlier this week. It weighs in at 4 pounds, 10 ounces but it is unfinished. I suspect the weight will go up to about 5 pounds with the finish and the bedding.

The NXS is 34 ounces and the Panda is 30.5 ounces. Nightforce lists the BR 12-42 at 36 ounces, so heavier. The NXS has 45MOA of elevation. I am considering the Kelbly rings.

I am considering getting the Sinclair 3gen bipod which is under 2 pounds. You are correct that I have the 2gen model and it is heavier, closer to 3 pounds.

I'm not sure I follow your issue getting to 300 with 20MOA. Just for the record, I do not plan to use this rifle for anything below 600 yards and it will mostly be 1000 yards.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
3 way butt plate adds and extra pound plus if you go that route. doesn't seem right the BR being heavier then NXS i will double check but if that is the case good choice. optic planet lists both at 36 i can't access nightforce directly from my location will confirm tonight.
borden action weight 32oz. you picked a solid action. question the panda rail is it picatinny. might decide your rings for you

sorry up here F class starts at 300 to 1000 at 300 i am bottoming out the scope.

As this is your money and not mine LOL have you thought about ditching the sinclair and going with the Censhot or star shooter bipod. Censhot is 19oz Star shot is closer to 26 i believe. going from memory too much. i will confirm that as well.

lastly did you include the other hardware trigger guard screws adjustable cheek riser?

Trevor

P.S.
u remember the UK shooter who failed to make weight with the sinclair in Wisconsin he was scrambling and John Weil happened to have an extra bipod. saved this guys entire trip across the pond.

Last edited by Trevor60; 02/17/12.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Trevor, the PR&T has the 3 way buttplate and the adjustable cheekpice built-in. The Panda has the rib, not picatinny rail.

I understand what you are saying now about 300 yards and bottoming out the scope adjustments. I have another rifle for when I play at 300 yards. It was good enough to take me to High Master; it's a heavily customized AR-15.

I have looked at the Censhot and other bipods. The rifle will not be ready for at least another 4-6 months so I have some time to look around at other bipods.

Yeah, I do remember that UK shooter with the heavy rifle, I can't remember his name though. If I had been in his position, I would have taken a saw to the stock and cut out a piece. :-)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I played with the barrel weight calculator last night, couldn't come up with much over 6.5lbs either. Someone stated their barrel was 7.5lbs? That's a lot of extra weight!

Jeff I haven't shot any Krieger barrels in .308 just .243 benchrest barrels. I've gotten a couple of good barrels from RC, waiting delivery on one right now for my new F-Class rifle. I hope they hurry, we start our winter league in a few weeks. I would like to have the new rifle broke in by then.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
AJ, yes it's a lot of weight unless the calculater is all wrong.

Today I mounted the NXS on my current FTR rifle and it is a LOT brighter than the Weaver. I will need to get used to the NP2DD reticle, but I like it a lot.

I used a FAT wrench to tighten the ring screws down, 25 inch pound. Neat tool, works like a champ. Can't wait for the next match.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Denys,

FWIW... I have a 30" Brux heavy Palma barrel that I put on the Wife's rifle. It has their interrupted or 'spitfire' fluting - looks pretty but doesn't remove a *lot* of weight compared to some others I've seen, and it is on a Savage small-shank action - so the shank in front of the receiver is 1.062" instead of 1.200". Actually, it was originally for a large-shank receiver, and I had it turned down to fit a small-shank action.

According to my little MyWeigh 35 scale it weighs a grand total of 5 lbs 3.5 oz - and that was when it was in the large-shank configuration. Haven't weighed it since the modification.

I know different barrel makers have different variations on 'standard' contours - some only have a 2.5 or 3" full diameter 'shank', whereas others may have a 5" long shank, and as mentioned the barrel I have effectively doesn't have one at all. I don't see that making the difference between 5-1/2 lbs and almost 7 lbs, though. I'd be interested in what the actual dimensions of the barrel were on that barrel your friend took off...

Monte

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yeah, you and me both. Next time I see him I will ask him.

Thank, Monte.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the Panda.
Oh 20 some years ago I had a heavy bag rifle built by Clarence Hammonds.
It had the panda action with the blasted finish.
He had taken fine scotch bright and worked the outside of the panda to a satin finish.
I love it.
I did it to all my pandas after that.Even the scope rings.
No more finger prints...just sayen

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
108 members (01Foreman400, 338reddog, 32_20fan, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,406 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.