Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
i'll give it an honest try.
if your feet/stirrups are sitting below you with your weight in them bracing, a hard stop will use the force like a pendalum and push you forward up and out of the seat. if you're "sitting" by tucking your butt underneath yourself, you melt into the horse with the stop and are riding him thru it instead of getting in his way.
someone mentioned they couldn't trot a horse without standing in their stirrups. if you have a seat and post to the inside leg not only will you be much more comfortable and less tired end of a long day, when those wild ones get to spinning in 1/2 a second you'll still be seated.

This does make sense. I was taught to put pressure on the stirrups and when the horse comes to a fast stop I am up on his neck. Or at least pushing on it with my hand. I figured I was doing something wrong, but couldn't figure it out since I was doing what I was told. I don't consider myself any great shakes at riding though.

I do recall however, being fairly relaxed while riding so sitting more in the saddle having young horse jump one way or the other from some imagined danger and being able to stay in the saddle fairly easily.

On another note I think I wouold like to try those crooked stirrup now that my knees are getting bad.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 05/17/12.
GB2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I modified my stirrups with a wedge at 15 degree.Turns out my right leg is bent along with my foot and my left leg isn't. The wedge on the left works great.Not so much with the right leg. So now I got one of each.

You can take apiece of birch or maple and cut the wedge and then shape the bottom to fit the stirrup and glue it in with Gorrila Glue.Then if it doesn't work,it isn't too hard to get off .
I ride with STI Break Away stirrups so I could not buy a crooked stirrup.

Doesn't look to" Cowboyish" but I already had $300 tied up in the breakaways and this worked dandy.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/17/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well made Saddlsore!!! You did a great job.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saddlesore,

So that is your left stirrup and we are looking at the back of it?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ralphie.
Yes, left stirrup. I guess the theory is that when you ride,your feet go out some and create a level surface.

Beats the heck out of me,but it works.

The STI break away stirrup has a latching mechanism on top that is remov ed forn this photo. A stud on each side projects into the top of the stirrup and releases if the stirrup goes too far an angle forward or back.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I modified my stirrups with a wedge at 15 degree.Turns out my right leg is bent along with my foot and my left leg isn't. The wedge on the left works great.Not so much with the right leg. So now I got one of each.

You can take apiece of birch or maple and cut the wedge and then shape the bottom to fit the stirrup and glue it in with Gorrila Glue.Then if it doesn't work,it isn't too hard to get off .
I ride with STI Break Away stirrups so I could not buy a crooked stirrup.

Doesn't look to" Cowboyish" but I already had $300 tied up in the breakaways and this worked dandy.

[Linked Image]

Kinda think it may work... I've used oxbows for years for young stuff and they do help with my bad left leg but I ain't as young as I used to be. may try something like that soon...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
814 members (1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,239 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,185
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.