Print Thread
Hop To
#6152521 02/09/12
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What are your experiences with MG Arms, especially their rifles made on Stiller actions?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been awhile since I heard anything on them but it was all good. Can't remember the owners name, Kerry something?

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Kerry O'Day. He had booths at DSC and SCI but never was able to leave my booth to talk to him.

RS

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Kerry O'Day. I never shot one on a Stiller but every Remington based MGA I have shot did well. I just don't care for the look of skeletonized guns or the blast of muzzlebrakes. All of the ones I have shot were magnums and required the brake. One had the bases epoxied to the reciever and the clean-up was sloppy so there was expoxy visible on the rear bridge. I ultimately went with a Rem700Ti for a LW build and then a Colt Light Rifle. Both were significantly cheaper. If I were going to go at it for $3600 I'd go with NULA.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I had an experience with this outfit. I did my homework and based on many good references ordered one of his ultralight rifles. When it arrived, many months after it was promised, it would not feed from the magazine, there was a very large burr of metal attached to the side of the action where it had been machined flat... and the burr was even re-blued! The stock work looked like an apprentices' project, and the rifle would only shoot 1 1/2", with the handloads they developed for the rifle, but it was a consistent 1.5moa! I sent it back, and when it came back to me, again many months later, it looked like the apprentice had taken a rasp to the stock. Unbelievable that it was ever allowed to leave the shop. It gets better. I sent it back again requesting a refund and from there on out I was stonewalled. They would not return phone calls or email. It took over a year to finally get reimbursed, and then only because my credit card company finally stepped in and credited me back the cost of the rifle.
Now, I have no idea what went wrong, but I am confident this is not the sort of product or service that he built his business on, but this was my experience.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have an ultra Light in 300 wm and it shoots less then 1/2" moa...the gun is everything I wanted....I was so impressed with the work I ended up getting one of the more expensive signature classics....

He does very good work and I like that he keeps track of load data for my rifle in that anytime I need some more ammo, I just call him up and he sends it to me pronto.

Not sure what happened to you cobrad..sorry you had a bad experience. I have referred several friends to him just because its hard to build an accurate light weight rifle but Kerry knows how to do it well.. I am sure something must have happened at shop for your bad experience...I just can't believe Kerry would let that happen. It has been over a year since I have had contact with him but I know for sure he is a good guy.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Pic of my MG rifle with a deer I killed at just over 300 yds...

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
hntelk, It was a very disappointing experience after reading so many good reports. The rifle was wonderfully light and recoil was very manageable with 250 grain bullets. Sorry to say it really soured me on this outfit, as his rifles look good.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Those are a couple of very different experiences. Can I ask the year that each rifle was built?

Thanks, RS

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
1st gun from MG that is an ultra light, 4 yrs ago
2 nd rifle from MG that is the signature, 3 yrs ago

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Cobrad, I really feel for you on that plus being so far away to his shop you feel like your hands are tied. I will tell you he is a good guy and really tries to help you achieve what you are looking for, I am not making excuses for him but my experience has been good.

No, I don't work for him and am not his rep...I just like his guns and the way he builds them.

If you met him in person, first thing you will notice when you shake his hand is the perm grease stains on his fingers..I also got to tour his shop to see where my gun was being made and also got a one on one demo on the custom load for my ammo on my rifle.

Good experience on my part.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hmmm, 5, maybe 6 years ago? The references I checked with were all good, but mine was a really bad experience and left me in doubt of the mans' integrity, sorry to say.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have only had a few 'smithing things done by him and all were shoddy. Suppose he focuses on his rifle build.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.