Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey All - Got myself a new (to me) rig. 07 Chevy Silverado Classic Z71x-cab etc. For years, I ran toppers/caps on my full size trucks w/o extended cabs. But a couple years back I started plowing and decided I didn't like the cap on the truck due to the visibility issues it creates.

But I still want to conceal/protect stuff in the bed of the truck for hunting trips, range trips, camping etc. So I've been thinking about a tonneau. I do not like the hard tonneau covers at all so I am leanign toward a roll-up style. That would still give me access to the entire bed for some things and allow concealment and weather protection for others.

Anyone got any experience with any of these? Recommendations? Dos, don'ts, likes or dislikes?

Let me know. Thanks.
Rob

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rob, I have had three trucks with hard tonneau's on and I loved them. The security was excellent and we never had to worry about what was in back. The problem was if you had to haul something taller that the bed you had to remove the cover or leave it open. I can see that a roll up cover would solve that problem and still give you some security. I have seen the aluminum covers that can be removed in sections and those look great. Good luck with your choice.
Jon

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I put a Downey SST Tonneau Cover on my truck in 2007 when I got it. It's still good as new.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I`m pretty happy with my Advantage Hardhat.
I`m hoping to leave it on folded up when towing my 5th wheel.
http://www.advantagetruckaccessories.com/hardhat.php

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the hard tonneau on my 04 colorado is the best money i ever spent. great lockable storage. i only payed 200 for mine used and it was already painted to match my truck.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had an OEM soft tonneau on my Tundra since 2001. I like it a lot. It easily rolls/folds when you do not want it. It is perfectly dry too. Any truck I have in the future will have a soft tonneau since I need to occasionally haul wood or throw an ATV in the back.

Supposedly they save gas but I do not notice a difference when it is off or on.

RH

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If you really want to protect you gear in the back from theft, the hard tops are the way to go, but you don't want that.

The soft sided covers are nice to keep the weather off and that is about it. they do allow you to run a tool box in the bed, which I would do if I didn't have topper.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tzone
If you really want to protect you gear in the back from theft, the hard tops are the way to go, but you don't want that.

The soft sided covers are nice to keep the weather off and that is about it. they do allow you to run a tool box in the bed, which I would do if I didn't have topper.

That's pretty much what I'm going for. A little weather protection. Easier to clean the snow off in the winter, better visibility too. And for less valuable items, out of sight storage. The toppers are nice and I've almost always had one, but I just don't feel it's needed any more with the extended cab truck. Plus, I usually only run the topper during the hunting season and I think I can accomplish what I want with the tonneau.

All that said, I did find a fiberglass topper used on the local craigslist to fit and match my truck...but he's asking $850. Cheaper than new, but still a lot of dough for a used topper IMO. If it was $500.....I might be talked into that direction.

Thanks for input gentlemen.
Rob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rob,

There is no way he will get 850 for that topper. Offer him what you are willing to pay - in cash. I do that all the time on Craigslist. Expect a counter offer but I just say, "Take it or leave it, that is what I am willing to pay." They take it most of the time.

RH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make him an offer. The worst he can do is say "no".

We had a couple of the retractables on my wife's last two pickups (a 2000 Chevy K1500 and a 2005 Tacoma). They worked well while they lasted, but basically needed repairs or replacement after about three years. We don't garage our vehicles and we do have intense sunlight at the elevation at which we live here on the border. They might last longer if you keep your truck under cover.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Offer him 5 bills as see what he says. He'll have it for a long time at $850 unless it's some sort of special order. It's cheaper than new, but it's not new and you don't get warranties.

My Leer with a few options was $1010.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I ended up with a cap. Fund one in good condition that matches my truck for $300. Not bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
great deal

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Soft top

I have one and we love it. Roll up, fold up or remove in minutes.

The same materials as Jeep tops.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Access roll up, velcro side seals and just clamp-on side frames. Second one I've had, no problems with wear, tearing or fading over the 4+ years on the first one.

Don't really need much security, great for covering the bed and keeping things dry. Also appears to aid somewhat in highway fuel economy vs an open truck bed. Rolls up in seconds, if I need to tote something big.

Always had alum. or fiberglas caps before, probably never own another one.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.