Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
This all reminds me to call Dr. Balice in Bozeman and thank him yet again for my vasectomy...

Is that pronounced bal-is, or ball-ice?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No matter...I owe the guy for a good job... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know this is headed for Doctor Balless. >grin<

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My ENT doctor who ran a ice auger up my nose and stuffed a box of tampax up my sinus', before he pulled them out a few days later, was named Dr. Huerter...go figure

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
+1 on the cleaning the meat out of the freezer. Yer a helluva man, if you didn't put a boot in his AZZ and make him clean out the freezer. grin

maddog

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
depending on how long it sat there.....you might want to haul it outside before you clean it. that smell will get into fabrics and rugs and be hell to get out.

the smell of a refrigirator that's been turned off and closed up for a month is literally a breath-taking experience. stuff you wouldn't think could rot....like corn meal...will hatch out in flies. think about that.

many people just put duct tape around their refrigirators and set them out on the street, with graffiti about FEMA sprayed on them. you couldn't get the smell out of the seals, or the stain off the interior.

worst one I saw...smelled, really...was my hunting buddy/neighbor who had a big chest freezer we use mostly for game. probably had a dozen ducks, Lord knows how many bags of trout filets, and lots of bait shrimp, saved for the winter. when he opened that thing...three weeks after Katrina, it was a soup of mung with a smell that would knock a buzzard off a [bleep], with blue flies buzzing all over it trying to get in for the goodies.

let your boy work on the cleanup...he won't do that again.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
stuff you wouldn't think could rot....like corn meal...will hatch out in flies. think about that.

That was mean - I had "Johnny Cake" for breakfast.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Make him eat salad until next hunting season.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
I bet if he is required to help clean it out it won't happen again.........

Originally Posted by oulufinn
Video him gagging while cleaning it out & show it to him every now & again. Teachable moment. smile

This.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My solution to the rotted contents -- and the freezer -- is to plug it back in. Freeze the contents solid, then haul the whole shootin' match away.

No way I toture a kid in a fruitless exercise, the freezer is junk. (tan his behind, bruise his ego, and have him pullin' weeds, pickin' rocks etc. to pay for a new freezer would be my route).

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Of course, I can't say much.

As a "precaution" prior to my wife and I being gone for nearly 2 weeks at the same time at one point last year, I went around and shut off all the power strips to kill appliances, computers, etc.

Didn't even think about the fact that the freezer was connected to one.

Lost about 3 deer worth of venison on that boneheaded move.

They weren't stinking by the time I realized it, but everything was well defrosted and warm to the touch.

Fortunately, the elk from CO and a few deer from NC and VA remedied that situation.

You only do that, once. He'll learn.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son is 28. When he was growing up, I began to realize why my hair was getting more gray in it. But I soon learned to take a deep breath, look up at the sky, and recall all the stuff I put my late father through when I was that age. Then I realized that perhaps my old man was just getting even with me from the great beyond. I can hear him now; "YOU JUST WAIT!!! SOMEDAY WHEN YOU HAVE KIDS YOU'LL SEE!!!!".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
I bet if he is required to help clean it out it won't happen again.........

i know i learned a VERY valuable lesson about taking out the trash can to the curb when i was younger with a punishment like that. i still get squeamish when i see maggots as a result. i can still smell the maggot soup in the bottom of the can. it was horrible.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Quite a few years ago I had a friend who had a lot of bear meat in his freezer which was in the garage.While playing, his kids accidently unplugged it.That was probably the worse thing I have ever smelled in my life.
After several attempts of neutralizing the smell the feezer ended up at the dump.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
One of the many memories of "fatherhood" that will grow more fond over time.....ESPECIALLY after you get another deer!!

A couple ones I remember are finding the bathroom sink JAM-PACKED with peas that he didn't want to eat (not a bad idea wink ).

Seeing a burn mark on the bathroom outlet and thinking it was from my wife's curling iron - until I found the TWEEZERS he poked in the outlet!! eek

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I fill 2 smaller chest freezers a year with wild game and salmon/halibut, and eat out of them 6 days a week. 2 smaller chest freezers will feed a family of 4 for a season at the rate of 6 days of week, if packed properly. A properly packed freezer will also be more forgiving in the event of a prolonged power outage. I'm more protective of my freezers than my atm pin number. Never, ever, put a freezer in a place you can't get a visual on it on a daily basis, if you aren't pulling stuff out of it at least 3x a week.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FREEZER ALARM !!!!! buy almost anywhere nowadays

http://www.sears.com/search=freezer%20alarm

its simple - its cheap and saves a lot of heartache not to mention valuable venison- elk steaks etc. -- whatever

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never, ever, put a freezer in a place you can't get a visual on it on a daily basis, if you aren't pulling stuff out of it at least 3x a week.

Wise advice! I'm sure this will be a learning experience for your son. Only you can know how it will be taught. I have three sons and it would probably have gone differently with each one of them. I also had a chest type freezer go south while I was on vacation. Refreezing it was not an option.

Do you know anyone that scuba dives? Borrowing their equipment might be worth the price of a refilled tank and case of beer. If the spoiled food hasn't been in there too long, the freezer can be cleaned so that it doesn't smell. No point in throwing it away until you try. You can always throw it away later.

Harry
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some interesting comments/perspectives.
I admit, I did have to take a few breaths and not just 'react'. A child (for those that don't have them) have the ability to 'put things into perspective' like nothing else in life. I'm a much better man since he was born. A little more info. I'm the type of person that thinks the punishment should fit the crime. He obviously didn't mean to trash all the food. What he did was turn off the fridge/freezer when he shouldn't have messed with it at all. For doing that, he got fussed at and had to assist with the clean up on just the part he could reach (bottom of the fridge). Daddy (and Mommy) was traumatized enough for all three of us already. No need to make it unanimous. I'm pretty sure the appliance thankfully is not ruined. It's in the basement garage which stays cool and obviously it's winter. After some hot water, two rolls of paper towels and plenty of 409, it's fine. If the experience 'lingers', it's way over due to be replaced. The smell was far from a spring morning but it was tolerable. I guess it depends on your perspective.
He understands the loss that was caused by his actions. For a kid that doesn't like getting his hands dirty, sopping up that gallon of blood and wiping it down will stick. The meat got rinsed and repackaged and stuck back in the freezer to await this week's garbage pick up.

I always 'try' and look for the silver lining, and the one that hit me pretty quick was... Thank God he didn't remember about the fridge and turn it back on before I had noticed it. That next meal might have had some REAL interesting aftermath!

Somebody mentioned they were surprised he could even find the switch. That kid has found controls and features on all the electronics in the house and even the vehicles that we didn't even know existed since he was 4 or 5!

Oh yeah, the person who suggested only salad until next year... THAT would be by FAR his biggest nightmare. I'm pretty sure he'd starve to death. Like father like son on that one for sure... grin

And for those who made comments about the joy of not having the 'trouble' of kids, I'd clean that fridge out every single day in the heat of July and double on weekends if it meant I could stop time with him. It's just all part of the journey guys, and I wouldn't miss a step. wink He's our miracle son and we are enternally greatful beyond compare. Thank you again Lord.... yes, even for this. smile

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Some interesting comments/perspectives.
I admit, I did have to take a few breaths and not just 'react'. A child (for those that don't have them) have the ability to 'put things into perspective' like nothing else in life. I'm a much better man since he was born. A little more info. I'm the type of person that thinks the punishment should fit the crime. He obviously didn't mean to trash all the food. What he did was turn off the fridge/freezer when he shouldn't have messed with it at all. For doing that, he got fussed at and had to assist with the clean up on just the part he could reach (bottom of the fridge). Daddy (and Mommy) was traumatized enough for all three of us already. No need to make it unanimous. I'm pretty sure the appliance thankfully is not ruined. It's in the basement garage which stays cool and obviously it's winter. After some hot water, two rolls of paper towels and plenty of 409, it's fine. If the experience 'lingers', it's way over due to be replaced. The smell was far from a spring morning but it was tolerable. I guess it depends on your perspective.
He understands the loss that was caused by his actions. For a kid that doesn't like getting his hands dirty, sopping up that gallon of blood and wiping it down will stick. The meat got rinsed and repackaged and stuck back in the freezer to await this week's garbage pick up.

I always 'try' and look for the silver lining, and the one that hit me pretty quick was... Thank God he didn't remember about the fridge and turn it back on before I had noticed it. That next meal might have had some REAL interesting aftermath!

Somebody mentioned they were surprised he could even find the switch. That kid has found controls and features on all the electronics in the house and even the vehicles that we didn't even know existed since he was 4 or 5!

Oh yeah, the person who suggested only salad until next year... THAT would be by FAR his biggest nightmare. I'm pretty sure he'd starve to death. Like father like son on that one for sure... grin

And for those who made comments about the joy of not having the 'trouble' of kids, I'd clean that fridge out every single day in the heat of July and double on weekends if it meant I could stop time with him. It's just all part of the journey guys, and I wouldn't miss a step. wink He's our miracle son and we are enternally greatful beyond compare. Thank you again Lord.... yes, even for this. smile

Well said, well done!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
157 members (35, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.