Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The gold standard in gas guns in the past 15 years is the Beretta, beginning with 303, then 390 and now 391. Agree w/ Battue, Remington has been left in Beretta's wake.

Remington was in lead, arguably, 30 years ago with the 1100. The gun balances well, is generally reliable (keep some "O" rings in your wallet). It's just been outpaced.

Some might argue that the Winchester Super X Model 1 is the finest gas gun of all time. I think I like it better than these others, but anyone who shoots one much has already had the overhaul kit installed. Then they run forever, or so I'm told.

To recoil operated guns, in practical terms, the Benelli has no peer. Apparent recoil slightly more than a gas gun, but ultra reliable.

That said, I'm a sop for tradition, and I'll take my old Browning Auto Five over all of them.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Super X Model 1 was a fantastic shotgun. Have shot them extensively and still own three. However, they will break when pounded hard and today parts become an issue. A bolt cracked on one: Expensive to replace and yes the buffer was in good shape. A trigger pin broke on another. The magazine tube on the originals will corrode rather quickly and should be replaced with the stainless option available from nu-line.

Shot an 1100 a good bit also and one day the magazine tube let go from the receiver and left me with the action and barrel in my right hand and the for-end and magazine tube in my left. Jams were common.

Really like the Super X Model 1, but when it comes to hard use the Beretta and Benalli will outrun them and when problems do occur the fix is relatively easy. Have also had a Beretta 391 a few years back that was fussy and knew of some others. However, for the most part it is a thing of the past with the newer offerings.

Last edited by battue; 02/19/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned a SX-M1 since I bought it new in 1976, replaced the bolt buffer last year (old one was brittle and chipping out little hunks of plastic), own a M-2 Benelli and it is the easiest semi-auto to break down and clean I have ever had my hands on. My favorite is the Browning Auto-5, own two now and have owned two in the past I no longer own - I just cannot beat them for a great fit. Never owned a REM 1100, but did own a Sportsman 58, same fit, a decent gun but not as reliable as the others (to include the 1100).

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Give me easy access to parts and I would still be shooting the Super X1 for clays. Heavy for long days in the field, but they were solid and relatively simple in operation and would feed on just about anything you gave them.

Winchester at one time made a shell which I think was called the "Feather" and the velocity was around 980FPS. The Super X1 would even work with them. Slowly for sure, but still work it did.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shot my Benelli M1 Super 90 today. First registered targets of the year. Haven't shot since Aug outside of bird hunting. I SUCKED!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been practicing, you better kick it up. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah well I am hoping to be in the acadamy this spring/summer so might not be shooting to much sporting this year. I am canidate #1 right now for one department. Keeping my fingers crossed!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's going to happen, I'm sure of it. wink

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am positive all the Dove guides in Argentina and Mexico sold off their Benellis and Berettas and stocked up on 1100's. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I am positive all the Dove guides in Argentina and Mexico sold off their Benellis and Berettas and stocked up on 1100's. grin

LMAO

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Peta probably foot the bill for the 1100s....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue

Peta probably foot the bill for the 1100s....

It's a doves best friend

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a Remington 1100 in constant use since 1982 and an 11-87 since "87" and neither has had a glitch. All original parts and they shoot as if they were new. I've shot trap, skeet, sporting clays, upland birds, waterfowl, deer... I would take my 11-87 in the field before I'd take any other shotgun. I've read article after article on the South American dove hunts where they use Rem 11-87s and Beretta 391s. I think the Rems kick softer and have better lines. It's been called the best pointing gun ever made. I have the Field and Stream with the 50 greatest guns ever made in the reading room, and the 1100 is there. The 391 is also. I can buy a near mint 1100 for $400 in 12 gauge, 11-87 Premier for $500 to $600. I have 2 friends who spent over $1,000 on Benellis this bird season and they like them. I offered to let them shoot my 11-87, which I think points better and I know kicks less. Neither wanted to after spending the $$$. I'll shoot mine until I can no longer lift them.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's because you keep them clean. Our 4-H Shooting Sports club - trap - has had five 1100's in 12 and 20 youth for 14 seasons now. We got a couple 11-87 youth models a few years ago. All function reliably, the only breakdown was a fluke gas ring problem that Remington promptly fixed. Otherwise all original parts. I think I replaced only one of those O-rings last year, it had gotten hard from the heat. In fact I was drawn into the club because they were having problems with reliability and excessive O-ring destruction. It was all in the routine maintenance.

The 1100 handles OK for me, there are others I like better. But they work.

Recoil comes in three impulses, the largest being around 50% if I remember correctly. I don't think you can do much better, but stock fit, recoil pad technology, and technique contribute to felt recoil.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have shot 1100's since the late 70's, they are soft kickers. It is not a shot gun that you can just shoot and put away, you have to maintain it, no big deal.

The Beretta Extrema has the same fit as the 1100, I do not know about the Extrema II. The Beretta Extrama is a gas operated shotgun and you can shoot buck shot loads one handed.

Even the Beretta 390's do not kick much at all, hard to believe.

You can shoot the heck out of the Beretta's and never clean them, they will make you fall in love with a shotgun if you are recoil sensitive or shoot a lot of heavy loads.

On the other hand, the Benelli is a hard kicker, I will never own another. Benelli's are not gas operated. I had a Super Black Eagle I that turned my arm green on dove loads...Super black eagle 1...never again.

Last edited by keith; 02/20/12.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rob p
I've had a Remington 1100 in constant use since 1982 and an 11-87 since "87" and neither has had a glitch. All original parts and they shoot as if they were new. I've shot trap, skeet, sporting clays, upland birds, waterfowl, deer... I would take my 11-87 in the field before I'd take any other shotgun. I've read article after article on the South American dove hunts where they use Rem 11-87s and Beretta 391s. I think the Rems kick softer and have better lines. It's been called the best pointing gun ever made. I have the Field and Stream with the 50 greatest guns ever made in the reading room, and the 1100 is there. The 391 is also. I can buy a near mint 1100 for $400 in 12 gauge, 11-87 Premier for $500 to $600. I have 2 friends who spent over $1,000 on Benellis this bird season and they like them. I offered to let them shoot my 11-87, which I think points better and I know kicks less. Neither wanted to after spending the $$$. I'll shoot mine until I can no longer lift them.

That is why Remington is now offering a 1300 dollar shotgun that copies Benelli Technology... Nothing wrong with an 1100 or 11/87 but it is not in the realm of a serious gun like a Beretta or Benelli

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Beretta and Benelli are not even close to having the same technology, like comparing a poodle to a pit bull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 1100 has been in use for 30 years, and my 11-87 for 25 without a single issue. They have been widely recognized as the softest shooting most pointable shotguns ever made. I stated that the Beretta 391 is also recognized for it's ability as they are the two guns of choice for 1000 plus bird a day wing shooting outfitters down in South America. I've never, in 30 years of shooting heard one single complaint about Remington 1100s or ll-87s until they started building them off site. The Sportsman series made for Dicks, Walmart, and mass market have had problems and I don't recommend them to anyone. The 1100 and Premier 11-87 have excellent reputations.

By the way, how a gun shoots or doesn't shoot based upon how often you clean it is kind of ridiculous. We are not in combat. I clean every gun I own every time I use it. I paid good money for them and want them to last a lifetime.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by keith
Beretta and Benelli are not even close to having the same technology, like comparing a poodle to a pit bull.

Who said they were ? two polar opposites in desing but they have a proven sturdy design, outstanding workmanship and need minimum maintenance and handle beautifully. I have owned a lot of semi-autos from about every manufacturer. I have a Beretta 390 and a Benelli M2. I sold a Montefeltro 20 a few months back which was a huge mistake.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rob p
My 1100 has been in use for 30 years, and my 11-87 for 25 without a single issue. They have been widely recognized as the softest shooting most pointable shotguns ever made. I stated that the Beretta 391 is also recognized for it's ability as they are the two guns of choice for 1000 plus bird a day wing shooting outfitters down in South America. I've never, in 30 years of shooting heard one single complaint about Remington 1100s or ll-87s until they started building them off site. The Sportsman series made for Dicks, Walmart, and mass market have had problems and I don't recommend them to anyone. The 1100 and Premier 11-87 have excellent reputations.

By the way, how a gun shoots or doesn't shoot based upon how often you clean it is kind of ridiculous. We are not in combat. I clean every gun I own every time I use it. I paid good money for them and want them to last a lifetime.

Rob I had a sporting clays 12 gauge 2 years ago that had absolutely the most beautiful wood on a shotgun ..outstanding. I ordered it thru my local dealer , when it came in the rear checkerimg diamonds had not been cut. I called Remington and they sent me the most gorgeous foreend and buttstock one can imagine. That is one I should have kept. That mistake will not repeat itself.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.