Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bazinga Offline OP
OP Offline
B
looking at buying a Walter PPQ. Im only finding good reviews on the gun so far. wondering if anyone is having issues with the gun. or does anyone have some good sites to check.

thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1) Welcome to 24hrcf!

2) That is a BIG freakin gun for a 9mm. Reliable or not, If I am to carry a gun that large it will be a 40,10mm or 45 of some kind. 357SIG at a minumum. 9mm is a great round for pocket guns like the Kel Tech PF9 and KahrCW series, there are lots of better choices now for full size guns.

Full size 9mm's also languish at gun show tables and on dealers shelves, as well. Too many better choices on full size platfrms.

Is the Walther available in other calibers?

Last edited by safariman; 02/19/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Bazinga Offline OP
OP Offline
B
available in 9 and 40

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman
1)
Full size 9mm's also languish at gun show tables and on dealers shelves, as well. Too many better choices on full size platfrms.

the guy didn't say he was going to use it for a carry pistol, and actually no its not that big of gun in the class of a glock 19 in weight and barrel length. there are lots of heavier guns people claim to lug around, like 1911's etc. 9mm is by far the most common round out there I wasn't aware that people were giving them away.

nutnfancy talked highly of the PPQ I checked one out and actually shot a couple mags full through one the other day. first off is WOW they fit my hand freaking good. the gun feels right in the hand. I had been set on getting a glock as soon as I made a few extra bucks, I had the chance to shoot a glock 17 at the same time. alot of people say the PPQ has a lighter and better trigger than the glock. that might be true for a experienced shooter but the longer take up of the PPQ for me makes it a tad harder to stage the trigger. the glock has a small amount of take up which I like better. IMO the glock is going to be easier to pick up the first time and shoot it better faster. BUT I did shoot the PPQ very well, it fits my hand better, I kinda like the mag release better on the PPQ, honestly I don't know which one I would buy, if grip and hand fit is priority then the PPQ is better, if less trigger take up, more aftermarket parts and glocks lengendary reliablity is more important buy the glock, either way I don't see how you could go wrong with either one.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bazinga
looking at buying a Walter PPQ. Im only finding good reviews on the gun so far. wondering if anyone is having issues with the gun. or does anyone have some good sites to check.

thanks
Excellent gun, but it just wasn't for me. I bought one a couple of months ago, based on all the great press, but I just hated the trigger action on it. It's unlike any trigger action on any kind of gun I've ever shot before. After you squeeze off a round, the spring wants your trigger finger to return all the way forward, even though the reset is very short. If the trigger spring only guided your finger back to the reset point, I'd have loved it, but with it guiding your finger all the way back to the starting point (all the way forward), and there not being any clear way of sensing when you've gotten to the reset, it throws me off completely. I traded mine to a friend for his barely used Sig P220 SAO. He wanted it as a house gun for his wife. She didn't like the heavy recoil of the P220.

IC B2

B
Bazinga Offline OP
OP Offline
B
thanks for the comments. i did checkout the nutnfancy review and also the guns n ammo review. both very positive. this will be my first pistol other than 22's so won't have much to compare it to. was deciding between S&W M&P, Sig P226 and Walther PPQ. Sig was out of my $ range, S&W looked good and had good reviews, but the Walther just fit better in my hand. the ergodynamics on the gun have been well thought out.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bazinga
thanks for the comments. i did checkout the nutnfancy review and also the guns n ammo review. both very positive. this will be my first pistol other than 22's so won't have much to compare it to. was deciding between S&W M&P, Sig P226 and Walther PPQ. Sig was out of my $ range, S&W looked good and had good reviews, but the Walther just fit better in my hand. the ergodynamics on the gun have been well thought out.
Agreed. As between those the Walther fits the hand best. But pay close attention to my comments on the trigger action. Now, you being a young pup when it comes to handguns, that might not be an issue for you, since you haven't been shooting handguns since 1980 like I have, and thus haven't gotten used to the feel of the standard trigger actions. My advice, though, would be to go with the S&W M&P as between those you've mentioned. I have one of them, and find that trigger action quite easy to master. It also feels good in the hand.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (10ring1, 160user, 16penny, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.