7mm-08
120 gr NBT
50.0 gr Ramshot Big Game
CCI 200 primers
Remington brass
Loaded 0.015" off the lands.
100 yards

[Linked Image]

The fifth shot was from a bit of a warm barrel, but as you can see I'm stumped as to why I'm getting shots touching close to 2 inches apart.

A previous 3 shot group has the same pattern, with two shots touching and a third 0.53" out.

What should I try to tighten the group?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scope good?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I would shoot a few more groups with different charges and powders to see if you get a better result. I had a similar experience with one of my rifles and I could not find a powder or a charge that would work. In the end, I switched bullets to a different brand and the problem went away. It could be that your barrel doesn't like that particular bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What kind of rifle?bedded? scope? good rest? details...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
how good was your rest? if you don't have a consistent rest you'll string them like that. use a bag under the buttstock also.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Barrel freedloated? Keep the info coming.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good rest. Sandbags fore and aft.
Scope - Minox ZA3, Talley lightweight mounts. All screws tight.
Rifle: Weatherby Ultra Lightweight.
Not bedded.
Ultra Lightweights are supposed to like a little upward pressure on the barrel.
Not freefloated.
Fired at 6X.

What bothers me is the consistency of the inconsistency. If the scope or mounts were bad I would expect more variance.

Here's the 3 shot group I fired before the 5 shot group. This group measures 0.93" center to center. After I fired this group I let the barrel cool then adjusted the scope 10 clicks up and 3 clicks left.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something you'll hear over and over again about "2 in, 1 out" type groups is to try seating in a little deeper. Lots of guys have seen groups shrink and become nice tight little triangles or clusters with that method.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Base screws that are tight don't mean the bases are tight, Bases should be installed 1 screw at a time to make sure the bases are being held tight by both screws!

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Base screws that are tight don't mean the bases are tight, Bases should be installed 1 screw at a time to make sure the bases are being held tight by both screws!

I'm trying to visualize what you mean and it just isn't happening.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Need to play with the distance off the lands. With that much vertical dispersion the bullet has to be leaving the barrel midway through the cycle instead of at the top or bottom of the oscillation.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised people aren't jumping up and down over the

"not free-floated" statement....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I'm trying to visualize what you mean and it just isn't happening.

P

On more than one occasion I have had Talley base screws be too long. It will play hell with your groups if the very front one is touching the threads on the barrel. To check, remove the front screw and peer down the hole with a good light. If it's too long, you will see the shiny spots on the top of the barrel threads.

That will prevent the base from seating even if you tighten it gorilla tight. Trust me on this one............

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is this the same rifle you bought from Wareagle?

Maybe exchange a couple PM's w/him and see what load worked for him and start there.

Have you made ANY modifications to this rifle?

Maybe premature, but don't be afraid to remove the pressure point. After loading and shooting at least 6 bee U/L's I'll say I disagree with your logic.

Do you have your "forward" bag close to the bottom metal? or out really far? If it's too far out (close to stud) you might be placing torque on the tube.

Might also be as simple as your load combo. Do you have any 140's hanging around along with some IMR4350? if so, toss in 46 grains with 140 Nos and give it a whirl...

I'd also start my loads closer and seat deeper as/if I feel i needed to.

Last edited by CLB; 02/20/12.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Karnis has a very good point here and I saw the same exact thing on my pards Weatherby in 7-08 with Talley U/L's. Everything came together quick after that was fixed.

Last edited by CLB; 02/20/12.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with CLB, this seems to be a bedding/pressure issue on the action or barrel most likely. Strange things can happen, but likely its due to different pressures being put on the action or barrel or both. T.S.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm willing to BET THE FARM you have everything right, to say the least it's the rifle I had a WBY UL in 25-06 that did the same thing no matter what I did I COULD NOT GET IT TO SHOOT..............in turn I sent the rifle to Hill Country rifles to accurized and it came back shooting 1/2" groups with 100grn TSX...... Good luck on your rifle!

http://hillcountryrifles.com/pages/accurizing

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, bought it from Wareagle. IIRC he never shot it.
I'm going to check the scope mounts and seat the bullets a little deeper. I'll also remove her from the stock and reattach, paying attention to keeping the barrel centered in the channel.
I'm getting conflicting advice regarding the bedding screws. Some say tighten the rear screw first, some say the front screw first. What this tells me is there is no hard and fast rule.
I'll report back how she does. The next step (if necessary) will be removing the pressure points in the stock.

Thanks all for the help. This is kinda like watching "House."

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Popapi
I'm willing to BET THE FARM you have everything right, to say the least it's the rifle I had a WBY UL in 25-06 that did the same thing no matter what I did I COULD NOT GET IT TO SHOOT..............in turn I sent the rifle to Hill Country rifles to accurized and it came back shooting 1/2" groups with 100grn TSX...... Good luck on your rifle!

http://hillcountryrifles.com/pages/accurizing

$500.
Hoo doggy that's a chunk of change.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest free floating first. If that does not help then check to see if the bedding is stressing ones action. The way I check that is to install a gridded bore sighter and note the crosshair coordinates. Loosen ones action screws and see if the coordinates change at all. If there is any shift at all, then bed the receiver in a completely relaxed state. Had to do that to a Weatherby Mark V and it came around beautifully.

1Minute
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.