Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
seems obvious to me ; what is more important to the user ?
your ego or respect for the animal...easy choice for me.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think that you .223 guys should go hunt Elephants and Cape Buffalo with your little bullets too. Your all nuts!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the eyes of the IDFG, an "approved" firearms is just what is typed. Under 16 pounds with all attachments and ammo, cannot be fully automatic, must use 'oo' buck or bigger, no muzzleloading pistol or rimfires with the exception of mountain lions.

Believe it or not, that's it. logcutter had no typo's

First mountain lion I killed was with with my 280. They are commonly shot out of trees range best measured in feet, with .22 rimfires to keep the thin pelt damage to a minimal.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm sure if it were legal here I could turn live elk into dead elk with a .223. That doesn't mean I consider it an ideal or even wise choice nor is it something I would recommend to anyone else.

The main thing, at least here, is that elk season is short, 3 - 7 days depending on the tag, and while it's possible to find a situation where a .223 will be just fine, you may not encounter that situation as often as times when something like a .338 will do the job w/o apology.

I haven't reached the point in my elk shooting career where I'd rather wait 10 extra years to get one with a .223 than get one right now with a .338.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 02/20/12.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would a .223 work maybe, my minimum is a 270 winchester. Not because of experience of mine though. I just think that is as far as I am willing to go down in caliber.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If the guy behind the trigger can put the animal down with 223 then why not? Who am I to tell them otherwise? If I was in the field with a 223 and an elk presented itself for I shot I wouldn't hesitate to put one through its neck. I'm willing to bet a shot behind the shoulder with a decent bullet would put them down in short order too.

There are videos on YouTube of guys culling redstags and rusa deer with 204's and 223's. Head and neck shots.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 02/20/12.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
The main thing, at least here, is that elk season is short, 3 - 7 days depending on the tag, and while it's possible to find a situation where a .223 will be just fine, you may not encounter that situation as often as times when something like a .338 will do the job w/o apology.

I haven't reached the point in my elk shooting career where I'd rather wait 10 extra years to get one with a .223 than get one right now with a .338.

Tom

I agree wholeheartedly. I want a cartridge and bullet that will reach the vitals of an elk from any angle at reasonable yardage. Perfect shots don't always present themselves, bullets don't always go right where intended and critters have the tendency to move during the shot process.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
everyone should be limited to the 22 Hornet for hunting all big game. and nothing smaller than 06 for squirrels.that would teach the impotance if stalking for elk and accurcy for head shots on squirrels or you dont eat. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Montana does not have any caliber restrictions for big game hunting. It would not be illegal to shoot an elk with a .22 rimfire here.

When I hunted Caribou and Musk ox in northern Canada, my Eskimo guide hunted with a .223. He told me he had even killed a Polar bear with his .223, but he had to shoot it 3 times.

The smallest caliber that I have shot elk with is .25, my .257 AI, and it was probably the quickest elk kill that I have made. However, I did kill a black bear with a .223.

I have several friends that have killed a pile of elk and several buffalo with their .22-250s. When Scenearshooter lived here he killed just about everything with his .220 Swift. Critters must be tougher up north, eh Pat?

But these guys are all excellent shooters, have been hunting all of their lives, and don't shoot at animals standing in the next zip code.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was in elk and only had a .223 Rem, I'd figure out how to kill one.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buffybr
Montana does not have any caliber restrictions for big game hunting. It would not be illegal to shoot an elk with a .22 rimfire here.

When I hunted Caribou and Musk ox in northern Canada, my Eskimo guide hunted with a .223. He told me he had even killed a Polar bear with his .223, but he had to shoot it 3 times.

The smallest caliber that I have shot elk with is .25, my .257 AI, and it was probably the quickest elk kill that I have made. However, I did kill a black bear with a .223.

I have several friends that have killed a pile of elk and several buffalo with their .22-250s. When Scenearshooter lived here he killed just about everything with his .220 Swift. Critters must be tougher up north, eh Pat?

But these guys are all excellent shooters, have been hunting all of their lives, and don't shoot at animals standing in the next zip code.

I think you meant centerfire...correct?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Don't stop with elk. Go kill a water buffalo.
African lion.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by logcutter
I am always interested in other States regs.Thanks,Gravestone,I didn't know that about Colorado...

Not the case in Idaho though, nor am I pushing the .223 for Elk...

Jayco
Huh?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey Logcutter, if you can't shoot an elk rifle, don't go elk hunting.Simple huh? Magnum Man

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To me, the question is not can you, but why would you want to? I mean if a guy was really good, why not run them down, tackle them and then beat them to death with only your fists? I would be sick if I stuck a .223 in a giant and he turned and walked away just to die without being found. I guess I just don't get it. Why flirt with it? It'd be hard to forget about it if you wounded a big elk knowing good and well that you could/should have been shooting something bigger. It's been done, so the answer is yes, you CAN kill one with that caliber, but really? Why?

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If all I had was a rock, I'd figure out how to kill an elk with it..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Probably, but no one here who has a .223. Has to kill an elk.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 02/20/12.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Who cares?

Sissy.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like "Why?" keeps coming up...

I haven't hunted elk with a 223, but I have with a bow.

I could sure kill him from further and from more angles with the .223 and a good bullet.

Maybe some guys enjoy the challenge of using something where you have to get closer and pick shots more carefully - kind of a half way point between bow hunting and running a 300WSM and 180 TTSX (which is probably what I'd use rifle hunting elk, FWIW).

I don't hear the outrage about bow hunting, but the .223 sure stirs it up.

Frankly, having lots of children who hunt has given me a greater appreciation of what the little round can do, and I have zero doubt I could kill an elk with one very ethically and without much drama if I needed to.

In fact, I think it would be easy enough that I wouldn't see it as adding much challenge, which is why I liked trying it with a bow - but am not real interested in going the .223 route - but I wouldn't be sore at a guy who wanted to run the .223 or a pistol or a bow if he did it to make the hunt more challenging and conducted his hunt accordingly.

DJ

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.