Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i've got the long range bug and i'm fixin' to get a 1000 yard scope

i need a 1000 yard rifle to go with it

i don't think my 25 06 will cut the mustard much past 500 yards

i'm talking hunting deer, antelope, coyotes and probably a bunch of rock targets

i may never take a 1000 yard shot on a game animal but i need something with mild recoil that'll get out that far

looks like the 6.5 creedmoor might get the job done

what do you think?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Looks like for what you would like to do, the Creedmoor isn`t getting too much love in the response dept.

Hunting deer, the lopes, coyotes and for shooting rocks the 6.5 Creed is fine. Even though you may never take a 1,000 yard kill shot, you would consider a kill shot out to 900-1000 yards? Even if properly scoped, I wouldn`t touch a 900-1000 yard kill shot using a 6.5 Creedmoor on any game. And I don`t even own a 6.5mm. Rock or paper targets out a 1000 yards is fine.

However, Wayne Van Zwoll nailed a bull elk with one shot using a 6.5 Creedmoor at 603 yards using a 129 gr A-Max. That video was posted on here quite a few months ago. But at 750-800-900-1000 yards?

Imo, if you would like to better accomplish what you describe, then you might consider the more powerful 264 Win or 7RM and deal with more recoil if you choose not to put a brake on it. Padded shooting vests and slip on recoil pads work very well to reduce felt recoil.

If I were you, I`d go with a more powerful cartridge that better does what I wanted, and I`d also buy what is necessary to help reduce the felt recoil.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
And I don`t even own a 6.5mm.

???

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by doubletap
And I don`t even own a 6.5mm.

???
..........???........So???.......You don`t have to own a particular cartridge in order to formulate downrange performance opinions when comparing rounds of the same caliber diameter which have different power levels.

"External ballistics tables" that give all the necessary retained downrange #s (velocities, energies, trajectories), work pretty good.

For the OP`s purpose "if" any extennnnnnded range hunting were to occur, my first 6.5mm cartridge choice would not be the Creedmoor. Using the same 6.5mm bullets and weights, I`d rather have a 264 Win Mag, maybe go with a 270 WSM, or with a 7RM.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Get a 260 Rem.. and make life easier... a Creedmore won't give you anything a 260 Rem won't...

if that isn't up to what you need, then go with a 6.5/06 or 264 Mag...

6.5 Creedmore is just a "me Too!" product...

then of course the old 6.5 x 55 has been around for eternity, and in modern rifles, long actions, a handloaded Swede will do what on 6.5/06 case will do also...

an 06 case has to yield capacity to seat the bullet to magazine length...where as a Swede, a bullet can be seated long... in the long run they are a wash...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
..........???........So???.......You don`t have to own a particular cartridge in order to formulate downrange performance opinions when comparing rounds of the same caliber diameter which have different power levels.

"External ballistics tables" that give all the necessary retained downrange #s (velocities, energies, trajectories), work pretty good.
We all know that your opinions come with zero experience bigliar. Keep reading about what things will and will not do; it'd be a shame for you to muddy the waters with reality...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 406_SBC

We all know that your opinions come with zero experience bigliar. Keep reading about what things will and will not do; it'd be a shame for you to muddy the waters with reality...
......Here comes 406 trashing another thread....The "big liar" to you, is more than willing to show you first hand "my experiences" among a few other things... wink

Too bad that you are just too "damned cowardly" to accept my proposal, whereas by me accepting yours, gives you all of the convenience, with no risk, and certainly doesn`t interrupt your precious schedule.

The term "coward" certainly defines you well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bigliar...not trashing you or the thread, just can't keep from commenting on your imagination. You've got all kinds of opinions but not one of them is derived in reality nor is anyone one them based on your experience outside of your dreams.

You sir are the coward. You want to set me straight by me paying for everything and then you on your word will reimburse my expenses if I can find you in So. Cal. You are a fool's fool. I'll still be in ANC on Tuesday of next week...

Keep posting about that which you have not the first clue, regurgitate ballistics charts and then guess freely as to supposed external abilities; it's entertainment for us all.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bigliar...not trashing you or the thread, just can't keep from commenting on your imagination. You've got all kinds of opinions but not one of them is derived in reality nor is anyone one them based on your experience outside of your dreams.

You sir are the coward. You want to set me straight by me paying for everything and then you on your word will reimburse my expenses if I can find you in So. Cal. You are a fool's fool. I'll still be in ANC on Tuesday of next week...

Keep posting about that which you have not the first clue, regurgitate ballistics charts and then guess freely as to supposed external abilities; it's entertainment for us all.
.............Not trashing me? Oh?? Then what would you call it then?

Yep! You cannot seem to refrain yourself.

Oh yeah! Just like I have your word that you`ll be in ANC at a certain time and on a certain date? Yeah sure! And you`ll re-arrange my busy schedule for me there too where I lose hundreds of dollars per day just to fly up on "your" damned word?

A coward? Me? Why sure I am! You always seem to know what you`re talking about!

Since "bigliar" and now "coward" seems to be your favorite references for me, and since I am such a "big liar" as well as now a "coward",,,,you`re always welcome to come down here and test your theories. The real truth is, you`ll be damn lucky to get through the last syllable of those two words if you were to ever get the opportunity to express yourself in person with me. You`ll be on the ground real fast...That my friend is an absolute guarantee. Not a threat, but a damned fact.

You can remain in ANC until hell freezes over and keep on telling me when you`ll be there. Nevertheless, your proposal strictly favors your conveniences. I am under working contracts and scheduling obligations that are well cemented ahead of time. The people I teach also have other obligations which work around my class scheduling. You are asking me to re-arrange and disrupt the schedule of alot of people, whereas you give up nothing or any in-conveniences where any scheduling is concerned??

If you are so damned possessed and hell bent on proving yourself, proving your alter ego, and proving yourself to this forum, while at the same time disproving or discrediting me all across the board, then the burden of proof rests with you. I have made my proposal clear to you and that is the best that I intend to offer.

If ever in a face to face,,,we`ll see who the true coward really is. Nose to nose, I will give the opportunty to express yourself. If you choose to express yourself the same way directly to my face in person as you do from a keyboard, your expressions will be extremely brief.

So what next there big man? You just gonna keep following me around from post to post on this forum, or do you really want to take your best whack at me? Hmmmm?

I told you that I will mail you a copy of your cashiers check re-inmbursing you for the correct amount of your round trip plane expenses, after you mail to me copies all of your info and flight information proving that you paid for your tickets. That cashiers check will be on my possession waiting for you, and will be shown to you after you de-plane and before going any further.

And you want me to just drop everything, fly 3500-4000 miles one way and meet you in ANC, when you are conveniently there on your own business anyway?

Such a "convenient" deal,,,,,,,,,,,,for you.

Nope! You can come down here. I`ll be very co-operative with you in order to test your theories. First, you can see an album or albums, and then secondly by your own choice to find out who the true coward really is between us.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Creedmoor looks like a decent round to me. I almost went with it but chose to have mine chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua instead.

If you're going with a factory gun most creedmoors have an 8 twist which will allow you to run the long heavies. It also has some reasonably price factory ammo if you don't load. I'm not sure I'd use it a 1000 on deer unless I thought the bullet would still expand at that low of velocity. For a soft high BC bullet the 140 Amax would be worth a look. I also like the VLD hunting bullets.

I think impact velocity and bullet construction are more important than energy. I like to see my impact velocity at 1800 or above but I've seen the amax expand at 1600.

I've shot deer with a 260 and it works well. A creedmoor is same performance wise. Both are awesome but that being said my long range deer gun is a 264 win mag and my 243 with 105's hangs pretty nicely with my 260 at long range. But the 243 is a custom with an 8 twist.

And, don't be afraid to look at the 7-08 too. My factory twisted 700's will run the 162 Amax at 2700fps over H4350 loaded to mag length.
Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 02/20/12.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep it going bigliar, it gets better and better. I certainly do not want to come between you and "hundreds of dollars per day." I was unaware recycling aluminum cans paid so much. Of course your clients may all be imaginary anyways, just like your financial resources. Regardless, I'm sure you'll go out of your way to stay away from me.

BTW, you need no help in trashing yourself--it's the only thing of which you are entirely capable of by your lonesome self--your nephews not withstanding..........

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Keep it going bigliar, it gets better and better. I certainly do not want to come between you and "hundreds of dollars per day." I was unaware recycling aluminum cans paid so much. Of course your clients may all be imaginary anyways, just like your financial resources. Regardless, I'm sure you'll go out of your way to stay away from me.

BTW, you need no help in trashing yourself--it's the only thing of which you are entirely capable of by your lonesome self--your nephews not withstanding..........
..............You a good dancer? You dance around, you side step, you dance around, you side step, you dance around, you side step, you dance around, and keep on dancing around and side stepping more and more.

Me do my best to stay way from you??? You flatter yourself! I would "absolutely love" to get your face directly in front of mine!

So you keep on using your terms. But certain things are quite clear.

You are one gutt-less coward, who`s courage will never ever match ANY in person meeting with me.

The yellow running up and down your damn back is far longer than your any of your state`s two laned highways which have double yellow lines in the no passing zones.

I`m only a plane ride and PM away from your pathetic cowardly azz. One challenge you will never, never, ever accept.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude...every good thread you touch turns into you offering to fight somebody. You'd be doing a lot of thread creators, who just need some input on something, a huge favor by just reading them, typing your response, and deleting it. This thread can now join the graveyard, thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me do my best to stay way from you??? You flatter yourself! I would "absolutely love" to get your face directly in front of mine!

I`m only a plane ride and PM away from your pathetic cowardly azz. One challenge you will never, never, ever accept.
You must keep the bluff going bigliar, it's your only play. Me standing in front of you is more reality than your daydreaming self can fathom. What could you possibly do if you met me in person? Daydreaming in front of me is not going to be very impressive........

The bluff is over, you've been called and yet you hide behind your keyboard. Keep the lies coming, keep up the dreaming, pretend like you want to settle this--we know better. You've spent long enough on the forum today. I better let you get back to scrounging up the aluminum cans, your next assistance check isn't due till next week.......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Dude...every good thread you touch turns into you offering to fight somebody. You'd be doing a lot of thread creators, who just need some input on something, a huge favor by just reading them, typing your response, and deleting it. This thread can now join the graveyard, thank you.
.........Hey Dude! How about you go back and re-read this thread among other threads and see who always provokes it?

It is always easy for clowns like 406 to express themselves on a keyboard. But then again to come out from behind their safety perch is another story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Obviously I've seen the other threads or I wouldn't know how much of a bummer they become after you post in them. I'm in absolute agreement that to weigh in on the 6.5 Creed, then it'd be necessary to have some, if not an abundance of experience using it, or at least SOME cartridge in it's class (260, 6.5x47Lapua, 6.5 SLR). This thread now officially sucks, and I feel bad for even posting in it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

You must keep the bluff going bigliar, it's your only play. Me standing in front of you is more reality than your daydreaming self can fathom. What could you possibly do if you met me in person? Daydreaming in front of me is not going to be very impressive........

The bluff is over, you've been called and yet you hide behind your keyboard. Keep the lies coming, keep up the dreaming, pretend like you want to settle this--we know better. You've spent long enough on the forum today. I better let you get back to scrounging up the aluminum cans, your next assistance check isn't due till next week.......
.........Ho hum! Ho hum! Ho hum!

Dance, dance, dance, and do some dancing some more. I`m the ONLY one who has been called? Yep! To accept only your damn terms? Nevermind my terms though! Right? Hypocrite!

You`ve been called there too chump. This calling business works both ways.

Did it ever occur to you, that you can get an airline refund if you cancel within a certain period?

You step up. Buy your plane tickets. Then mail me copies all of your flight info. THEN I will mail to you a copy of your cashiers check with your friggin name on it that equals your airline expenses.

Step up! Then your wishes to try and discredit me will be fully realized....SO YOU THINK!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've nothing to prove bigliar. You're character is beyond question and your posts discredit yourself without my help. Please keep posting upon subjects that you have no experience with whatsoever and please continue to cite numerous magazine articles and webpages as your proof, so as to maintain your credibility. What would you do if you had to stop guessing????

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to admit this has been some remarkable reading and as I don't want to jump into the burn I will give my .02 on the 6.5 Creedmoor.

This cartridge was designed to use heavier bullets ie/ 140 class that can mag feed in a large frame AR for highpower competition. It accomplishes that where a .260 rem won't but with the same ballistics.

Those 6.5 pills are quite amazing what they can accomplish ballistically at long ranges in terms of wind, energy, and accuracy. It's a nice round I wouldn't discourage anyone from owning for deer sized game or just fun shooting.

For me if I'm hunting anything over deer I want something a little bigger and a little more punch. That's just my preference.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've nothing to prove bigliar. You're character is beyond question and your posts discredit yourself without my help. Please keep posting upon subjects that you have no experience with whatsoever and please continue to cite numerous magazine articles and webpages as your proof, so as to maintain your credibility. What would you do if you had to stop guessing????
........Obviously you feel as though you DO have something to prove or you wouldn`t be following me around on the forum like the im-mature clown that you are.

You have every oppty to prove me the big liar that you say that I am, plus prove every other term you wish. But you won`t bend to any inconveniences for yourself, but want me to make every inconvenience possible.

And your last posting shows exactly how damned im-mature and stupid and plain dumb you happen to be.

External ballistics tables do exactly what they are supposed to do. Inform any potential owner of a certain round, what that round is capable of and comparing any round to another,,,,BEFORE,,,,it is purchased. But I guess you can`t figure that out too well now can you?

Maybe you feel that you need to own a round before you can comment on it? Well I don`t! I don`t have that handicap as you do.

I guess reading reports, specs, and exteranal ballistics tables, are all well beyond your superior mentality.

You are one pathetic POS or POC! Which ever you prefer is well defined.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.