Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
and what are his qualifications to be an expert witness in firearms cases ?

Just the facts please , this is not about anyone's likes or dislikes of Belk.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jack who ?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gunsmith

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jack Belk is a member here now.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/40410

Gunsmith and hired "expert" witness.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
for plaintiffs.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Where is his shop located ? How long has he been in business ?
How did he learn the trade ? school ?, military ? , apprenticeship ? , shadetree ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Where is his shop located ? How long has he been in business ?
How did he learn the trade ? school ?, military ? , apprenticeship ? , shadetree ?

Mike
I don't know if Jack still has a shop now or not. I believe he took the gunsmithing course at Colorado. I know he used to teach gunsmithing there. He's also the founder and past president of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. Probably one of the most knowledgeable and talented gunsmiths alive today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jack who ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What Blackheart said.

I met Jack at the first Custom Gunmakers Guild show in Reno in 1988. He does very fine work--and doesn't like the Remington trigger much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I introduced Rich Barber to Jack Belk in 2000 and would do it all over again.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He is/was a gunsmith in Filer, Idaho. I thought he was a pretty good guy and seemingly knowledgeable. He was very helpful like some of the gunsmiths here, maybe even more. Don't recall exactly what happened but he was reviled by many on a board I moderated for having given expert testimony AGAINST the gun industry and one manufacturer, Remington. A hired gun. He also got behind on work, closed his shop and there were many complaints from guys whose guns he had. I think many were 'lost' but I'm not certain of that as that was about 10 years ago. He hibernated, went out to live in isolation in some abandoned hot spring in Northern Nevada. He was hated by many and liked by some, like me, because of his willingness to answer dumb questions and assist newbies. I think he knew his guns.

His qualifications to testify? Being a gunsmith, experienced, and a good gift of gab. You don't need much more.

Yep, Brad and MD's post recalled that I too met Jack at that Reno gun show. Did beautiful work. The Barber case was a major controversey then and I remember Brad and I 'agreed to disagree'!

Last edited by Bob338; 02/21/12.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4526564/Re_Remington_s_official_respon

butchlamber1
Jack Belk is a shill for the lawyers that are suing Remington.
Butch

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
He post quite a bit on HA and some on AR, but disappeared many moons ago. I also recall much about others not getting their goods back, but I have no dog in that fight.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I remember the same episode over on HA. Seems like he was big into the 1999 Montana actions when they were heralding their arrival, although I don't know if he had anything to do with that company or not.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jack has posted several times here and just recently as well

click here

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jack was a major contributor to AR a while back and IIRC was really big into Mausers.

I met him at a Boise gunshow several years ago and he had just bought a Mauser action. I completely forget what kind it was but he was telling me all the good stuff about that species of Mauser and why the particular one in his hand was a good example.

At that same show he helped me pick out a very nice blank of walnut that was "perfectly quarter sawn" in his words. I knew nothing about walnut blanks and appreciated his expertise. It's not a show piece but the grain layout is excellent, it would make for a very stable handle and the color is pleasing to me.

I was going to commission him to make me a left hander's "Pre-64" on a LH model 70 I owned but for various reasons that never happened. I do remember telling him that one of the qualities I'd like was for it to have a "snick snick" action and he knew exactly what I was talking about.

So - nothing really worthy to add to the OP's question except a possibly interesting anecdote.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Jack managed to scam his way into a free cataract surgery compliments of donations from HA members,then Jack disappeared.Who knows if he even had surgery or cataracts?Probably pocketed the money to move out of the house he was being foreclosed on.The house turmoil of course being the excuse for Jack not returning guns he'd been sent to work on.Of course there was also a promise from Jack to all of the idiots that lent him money,that Jack would be doing a raffle Mauser project as a token of appreciation to those who fell for his halfassed story.

Belk is nothing but a bottom feeder.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I rather liked Jack myself. He was very helpful to folks working on rifles.

But if he was a scammer, he was nothing compared to the gal that took AR for about $8k for that buffalo hunt in Zim. Man did she make suckers out of everyone. Last I saw, folks still pretty much worshipped her though.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He did incredible work. Never forget the thread on the bolt knob he worked.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
for plaintiffs.

I've always suspected Belk needed the work and saw an opportunity to be a paid 'expert" for one side or the other.......apparently high bidder won.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,109
Posts18,464,293
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.