Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by 257heaven
natman.....How many Remingtons that were untampered with have you personally witnessed discharging without a finger on the trigger?

First, let me answer your question: exactly none.

Now let me ask you a question: What possible difference does it make?

Unlike some internet posters, I am perfectly capable of analyzing data outside my personal experience and coming to a rational conclusion. I've never slept with Liv Tyler, but I expect it would be fun, my lack of personal experience not withstanding.

The difference is.........I've already said what the difference is. Re-read the thread. Financial motive is overwhelming. That and the opportunity to cop-out of taking personal responsibility for one's own actions are why civil lawsuits such as these get filed. How many responsible shooters and hunters have never had a problem? Also......I'm sure there have been accidental shootings with Remington 700's where the shooter admitted that he/she had his/her finger on the trigger when they shouldn't have. Most of these don't even get reported due to the embarrassment....unless somebody gets shot. I'd venture to say that a lot of AD's go unreported because the shooter knows that he/she monkeyed with the trigger and didn't realize he/she didn't know what he/she was doing until his/her rifle went off unexpectedly. Have you "analyzed" all of those also?

And why is it that your analysis is much better than mine simply because you reached a different conclusion?

ETA: Why do you think it is that the trigger pull on most mass-produced firearms is absolutely horrendous? It is mostly by design....wouldn't you agree? Why is that?

Let me make my question clearer:

What possible difference does it make whether *I* have personally witnessed an unintended discharge of a Remington?

None that I see.

The rest of your reply makes no sense at all.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An adult conversation would imply an ability to understand what you were talking about. Anyone with any time looking at triggers would know have some foggy idea how they work. You were the one insisting the trigger is flawed when you have no idea how it even works.

Instead you were relying on an obvious smear campaign. You were not adult enough to actually investigate what you were discussing before entering the conversation. You were not adult enough to realize decisions are made AFTER the facts are understood. You were not adult enough to follow very clear statements of fact. You were not adult enough to explain how grass seeds and pine needles thread their ways through openings far smaller than they are.

Remington did not make defective 700 triggers for well over 40 years and just get away with it. An adult would be able to read that plain as day...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Malm

But the clear majority of AD's that have made their way to this shop are the result of a lack of maintenance, along with reduced sear engagement and reduced trigger spring settings, caused by tampering with the factory settings by folks who don't know what they are doing.

More than a vast majority--probably 99.9% of all alleged AD's. And the rest are folks inadvertantly pulling the trigger when operating the safety, or the bolt, or otherwise handling the rifle.

Just picked up a 1975 vintage M700 ADL from the original owner. The rifle's been hunted off and on since new, the owner appeared to take pretty good care of it. Bore looks to be in great shape, exterior is clean.

Carefully looked at the action screws before I pulled the stock--they looked to be pristine. Pulled the stock off and underneath was FILTHY. Original packing grease looked to still be on the exterior of the trigger housing, fine wood dust, dust from the Dupont varnish, and grit was caked on the trigger housing, and practically impregnated onto the bottom of the receiver. Tigger adjustment screws appear to still have the factory seal on them. Inside the bolt body was pretty dirty too.

This rifle would be a perfect candidate for the notorious AD..........Clean on top, dirty underneath......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My take on the "Remington trigger issue" is and has always been that there is occasionally a problem with these triggers firing when the safety is released. This happens when the trigger is pulled with the safety engaged and it happens on individual triggers in which the parts are dimensionally flawed. In other words, the presence of the trigger connector (or not) has nothing to do with it. I have debated this with Jack Belk before and we simply disagree. He chooses to blame the trigger connector though there is no concrete evidence that it is indeed, at fault.
Like Malm and unlike many of those who post opinions on the issue, I have adjusted, removed and replaced, modified, and serviced, hundreds of these triggers. I have what I must, blushingly, aver to be a superb understanding of the function and design of the "Walker" trigger.
What Mr. Belk espouses is an opinion; nothing more or less. In truth, my contention is the same; it is my opinion. Like that of Mr. Belk, my opinion is backed by years of hands-on experience and a good understanding of mechanical design and function. In the end, you pick the opinion you like and run with it.
Regarding the rifle in the original post, a trip to a competent gunsmith will undoubtedly, as Malm stated, cure the problem. Neglect or maladjustment by an incompetent workman will cause the problem to return. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trigger is not designed by Mike Walker,rather by a fellow by the name of Sheeney(sp).DuPont bought the patient.And to extend the length of the patient,added the connector.That what I get for reading books,useless tidbits.

A Shilen trigger will go off,too, when the safety is released if the adjustments are too far out. I have seen this many times in jammed industrial equipment such as Radicon gear boxs.Damm near lost a finger to it.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
An adult conversation would imply an ability to understand what you were talking about. Anyone with any time looking at triggers would know have some foggy idea how they work. You were the one insisting the trigger is flawed when you have no idea how it even works.

Instead you were relying on an obvious smear campaign. You were not adult enough to actually investigate what you were discussing before entering the conversation. You were not adult enough to realize decisions are made AFTER the facts are understood. You were not adult enough to follow very clear statements of fact. You were not adult enough to explain how grass seeds and pine needles thread their ways through openings far smaller than they are.

Remington did not make defective 700 triggers for well over 40 years and just get away with it. An adult would be able to read that plain as day...

No, an adult conversation would point out specifically what they thought I was wrong about and correct it.

OTOH, now that you've lost the logical argument, you've stooped to insults, personal attacks and arm waving. Sadly typical.

Last edited by natman; 03/03/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Malm

Feel free to copy the illustrations and show how this works, because what your saying doesn't make sense to me as written. There's no spring pushing the top of trigger shoe forward in the manner you describe, although there is one pushing the connector towards the back.

In your illustration of the "uncocked" trigger, the top portion of the connector has come to rest against the sear. Even though the top of the connector has come to a stop, the connector is still moving via the trigger spring and will continue to move until the bottom end of the connector can no longer move, which, because the bottom of the connector sits below the trigger pin, won't occur until the top of the trigger lever pivots forward and comes to rest against the connector which will close the gap.

But if you are having a hard time following this, then take your own "Walker" trigger and test it.

Make sure your gun is empty and pointing in a safe direction. Cycle the bolt and then dry fire the rifle. With the trigger in the fired position, take your finger and push the rear of the trigger shoe forward. It should move. Now release your finger and the shoe should return under it's own steam, or, with the aid of the trigger spring. If it doesn't move, then the trigger spring is set too light.

Pull the trigger apart and study it. What I wrote should make sense.

Much clearer now. You did say it was powered by the connector spring in your first post, I misread it. Mea culpa.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

No, an adult conversation would point out specifically what they thought I was wrong about and correct it.

OTOH, now that you've lost the logical argument, you've stooped to insults, personal attacks and arm waving. Sadly typical.

Again, you have to be kidding...
My first post to you after you suggested you wanted to join the grown-ups:
'So you accept Belk's theory of debris... Yet he admitted under oath he had never seen it happen... Remember, Belk is the guru...

So, please explain the course a piece of debris as large as a grass seed would take to get betwixt connector and trigger body. There is no room at the sear and less at the bottom... otherwise it is full width of the housing.

Now, if that "weak" trigger weight spring cannot move just the connector back into place how do you expect it to move the entire trigger because that is the "fix" so many use for the "problem."'

And the second time when I patiently attempted to help an "adult" understand why their (now proven) utterly ridiculous decision was flawed:
"natman
You gave two examples of debris you thought could possibly make it into the space between connector and trigger. Both are significantly larger than the available openings.

A build-up of grease and such is possible, but when you use impossible things to describe the potential problem it weighs heavy on your argument...

There are a lot of other holes in your argument as well..."

And the third time I attempted to enlighten you:
"You make the big dramatic ploy something will surely get into your trigger someday... I am thinking mine will be fairly safe due to minor routine maintenence... and mine are the automatically suspect kind because all have new trigger weight springs and have not been factory-adjusted.

Your argument about the grass seed or pine needle noted it could happen on an "otherwise Prisitine gun"... And I call bullshit on that.

You also claim if you have not had a problem it is because nothing has worked its way into the trigger... but that is not what the evidence has shown. Evidence has shown Bubba is the number one culprit, fingers in the trigger guard or on the trigger when the gun goes off is right in there... And stuff in the trigger has been real hard make happen and has never been made to happen on any trigger tested by Belk that was involved in an incident.

I also love the usual argument that the trigger housing traps debris inside... without getting to the concept it also keeps it out. No trigger is perfect and all can be tricked to fail. And I am not suggesting you used the claim about the trigger housing trapping junk."

So I gave you three shots at joining the adults before you pointed out the fact you had no idea what you were arguing about. I doubt you have ever had a 700 trigger apart and are arguing on emotion without substance. That is all fine, but if you want to claim adult status you should be a bit more honest in claiming a need to undrstand, as opposed to making assertions about how flawed the trigger is.

You never did answer the question about how you thought impossibilities could happen...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.