Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What is the stated rationale (and the real one) for some states insisting that hunters use shotguns?

It actually might make sense in NJ, were you cannot go more than 100 yards without running into either a strip mall or a split level.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here in Iowa, it's relatively flat, open land with dwellings fairly close to one another in terms of bullet travel.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Relative safety, as in NJ. Just not as obvious.

Naught's had, alls spent
When desire is got without content
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It likely made sense when most deer hunting was done by still hunting or driving deer and excited hunters were taking shots as they came. Also, prior to WW II most eastern hunters did not use scopes. Since that time, much deer hunting is done from stands or blinds and most hunters use optics. Also, these days hunters are required to take safety courses which has helped a lot in reducing accidents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Ohio, there's lots of dwellings, and many of the woods are relatively small. It's not that big a deal-we've been subjected to it for as long as I can remember. Carrying a shotgun these days isn't such a disadvantage with the accuracy and longer ranges they are capable of.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gophergunner
In Ohio, there's lots of dwellings, and many of the woods are relatively small. It's not that big a deal-we've been subjected to it for as long as I can remember. Carrying a shotgun these days isn't such a disadvantage with the accuracy and longer ranges they are capable of.

Do you mean that in the whole of Ohio it would be dangerous to hunt with a rifle???

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Here in Iowa, it's relatively flat, open land with dwellings fairly close to one another in terms of bullet travel.

Same thing: do you imply that in the whole state of Iowa it would be dangerous to hunt with a rifle???

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do you mean that in the whole of Ohio it would be dangerous to hunt with a rifle???

It would certainly be dangerous for the deer

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't imply it, the state mandates it. The question isn't whether or not you can safely shoot a rifle anywhere in Iowa, but whether hunters would self-impose care about choosing the limited number of places it could be done. (The lower two tiers of counties are open to rifle hunting for antlerless deer during a special January late season. The terrain/population/hunter numbers there and then is deemed capable of handling it.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The stated reason seems to be safety. In a lot of the open farmland regions with limited cover, I believe that it's also used as a management tool to keep too many deer from being taken with less restriction on selling tags.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I don't know but I hate it. No matter if it is buckshot or slugs, it just ain't right.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Iowa allows hunting coyotes with anything from 22's to 458 mags. I think their argument against center fires is worn out and not valid. How far would a sabot slug travel?

In Iowa we can hunt doe's in a special January season in the bottom two rows of Iowa counties but it's shotgun and muzzle loader for the rest of the State and all of the other seasons except Archery.

I talked with a gal who rehabs eagles and hawks a few days ago and she claims the lead sheared off of slugs is left in the deer gut piles and kills the eagles as it goes through the digestive tract. It makes sense so I suggested she fight for a center fire season that makes copper bullets madatory.

I'm sure we would have a number of Iowa deer hunters who would shoot copper bullets for the chance to deer hunt with their center fires. The same ones they drag out of the closet to shoot coyotes. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mil. installations are the same with shotguns, archery, muzzleloaders.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In Indian they say our population per square mile but I got it figured out....I use a rifle.

A legal rifle...that is. wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thing is, in MN, I could use a handgun chambered in 30-378 in slug zone, but I can't use a rifle chambered in .44 magnum.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
There's lots of crazy rules and people in Yankee Land. cool

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do some state's insist on shotguns for hunting?

They hate children, they don't want them to hunt deer.

Most states with rules like that are hypocritical about it - rifles of any caliber are OK for everything else. So you know it's not about safety.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most of Idaho allows rifles but there are a few areas near heavily populated areas where they specify 'short range weapons'. That includes shotguns, handguns, or muzzleloaders.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're referring to states that allow deer hunting with shotgun only, right?
Lots of counties in Wisconsin used to be shotgun only. There's a few left, but most now allow hunting with centerfire rifles.
Most hunters prefer to hunt with rifles given the choice, and I don't think it can be proven that shotguns are safer.

A 2007 study by Pennsylvania's Legislative Budget and Finance Committee did a study called "Do Shotguns and Muzzleloaders Pose Less Risk Than Centerfire Rifles for Hunting Deer in Pennsylvania?". You can read the entire PDF here , or read the highlights (which I recommend) here.

Have an A1 Day!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is a good one. In Wisconsin a portion of the state is shotgun muzzleloader or pistol. I have the misfortune of hunting in such a area. It is legal to hunt with a 44 magnum pistol. Couple years ago they tried to pass a law allowing pistol caliber rifles in the zone. I was hoping it would pass as I have more than a sane amount of 44 mag rifles. Also It would be nice to shoot cheap reloads apposed to three to five dollar a pop slugs and be able to afford to put a hundred rounds or so through the gun I am going to hunt with. Anyways the DNR opposed the law. It would be too difficult to train all the wardens how to identify pistol caliber rifles. I guess being able to read is not a requirement for a wisconsin game warden. Well law was not passed. So back to my savage 12 gauge. My dad hunts with a savage muzzleloader and remington xp 100 chambered in 350 remington mag.

Yep the 350 is legal as is any 22caliber or larger center fire in a pistol. Now here is my favorite part of the law. You can hunt small game except birds with ANY handgun legal for deer hunting.

So I can go launch a 200 grain bullet at 2600 FPS skyward at a squirrel sitting in top of a tree. Totally stupid yet legal. But I cannot shoot a 44 magnum rifle at a deer with a hill as backstop behind it.

It is just pure stupidity. Every year in Wisconsin the majority of accidents when someone is shot involves a shotgun. Slug hits something hard good luck guessing where it is gonna end up. Rifle round more often than not is gonna flatten and be stopped by whatever it hits or penetrate and expel it's energy. Just don't get the DNRs thinking.

Also funny how many people in shotgun zones have a nice pretty gun that looks like it has never been hunted hard or fired often that they carry into the woods. Yet they have a 30/30 or bolt action that is beat to hell and looks like it has not seen the inside of a building since it left the store. Gee wonder why that is smirk

Last edited by mike7mm08; 02/22/12.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,218
Posts18,466,390
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.