Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Boococky: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II.

JOG: I am going to switch springs and shorten the OAL. I'm thinking I'll be in good shape.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Waders
Boococky: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II.

JOG: I am going to switch springs and shorten the OAL. I'm thinking I'll be in good shape.

Very nice gun.....I have seen some issues from time to time with certain hollow points jamming like yours seem to be. It was only in certain 1911s and yours is not one of them....hope you figure it out! smile

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ok, if no one else will say it.....

Trade it for Glock.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
laugh laugh laugh

That won't happen until long after cows have learned to fly!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

Trade it for Glock.

laugh

I love my Glock, but there is nothing like a 1911 wink

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never had Rainier .45 cal HPs feed well in my Glocks or my Kimber 1911, FWIW.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is interesting to read since I was using some Berry�s plated 200 gr. HP, basically a truncated cone shape, in my new Ruger SR1911 and it had the same failure to feed about once per magazine. It did this with both factory magazines, I don�t have any aftermarket mags yet. Tried two different lengths and it would still hang up on the feed ramp.

Same loads, same OAL in my Springfield XDm .45 fed fine.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With enough dinking around it can be made to work..........I have adjusted follower angle & feed lips on many a magazine to get the right angle & timing of the release, but really, with so many other bullet designs & shapes that will work with much less effort, why bother anymore.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's my thought as well. I'll use up the rest of this box of plated bullets in the Springfield and won't buy any more. Have already bought a box of 230 grain RNL for the Ruger.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you're on the right track, sounds like your gun doesn't like the bullet's profile at the seating depth your at now. Truncated cone profiles versus the radiused ogive of a round nose bullet seem to cause more potential feed problems. If Rainier's recommendations don't work I'd go back to a bullet that does work reliably in your gun and trade the rest to your bowling pin buddies.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boococky

Trade it for Glock.

laugh

LOL,
After many many years of not owning one and listening to all the hype about how great 1911s were I finally bought one about 2 years ago. I did some research and based on the opinions of some respected people I know who own them I bought a SW1911 Doug Koenig version. A nice looking gun but out of the box wouldn't feed even 1 magazine of ammo without malfunction---a failure to fire condition. I boxed it up and sent it back on SW's dime with a list of items I wanted fixed. They fixed the failure to fire problem and filed the breech face(finished the machine work) to make the brass reloadable after firing. It had a step on the breech face that hadn't been machined enough and was crushing the rim of the case on firing. The gun now works but I have a hard time believing that it was ever test fired before being sent out of the factory. Pretty sad for a $1300 MSRP gun. I do like the trigger, the slim grip frame, adjustable sights, and it is accurate.

I've got a G21 that I bought about 17 years ago that I've put several thousand rounds of factory ammo and my reloads through it with only 1 malfunction. It even likes truncated cone West Coast bullets. I'd trust my life on the Glock working. The 1911 not. I'll keep it for punching holes in paper.

Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2Seventy

Trade it for Glock.

laugh

LOL,
After many many years of not owning one and listening to all the hype about how great 1911s were I finally bought one about 2 years ago. I did some research and based on the opinions of some respected people I know who own them I bought a SW1911 Doug Koenig version. A nice looking gun but out of the box wouldn't feed even 1 magazine of ammo without malfunction---a failure to fire condition. I boxed it up and sent it back on SW's dime with a list of items I wanted fixed. They fixed the failure to fire problem and filed the breech face(finished the machine work) to make the brass reloadable after firing. It had a step on the breech face that hadn't been machined enough and was crushing the rim of the case on firing. The gun now works but I have a hard time believing that it was ever test fired before being sent out of the factory. Pretty sad for a $1300 MSRP gun. I do like the trigger, the slim grip frame, adjustable sights, and it is accurate.

I've got a G21 that I bought about 17 years ago that I've put several thousand rounds of factory ammo and my reloads through it with only 1 malfunction. It even likes truncated cone West Coast bullets. I'd trust my life on the Glock working. The 1911 not. I'll keep it for punching holes in paper.

Very interesting, personally, I do not like S&W semi-auto pistols, never have. They historically have feeding and jamming issues among several other problems. They need to stick to what they do best which is revolvers wink I have an original colt model 1911 from WWI and I have maybe had it jam on me one time. I have also shot a Kimber, Para-ordinace, colt 1911A1 from WWII.....all of them I have been impressed with and would trust in a gun fight. However, I love my glock, have never had a single issue with it, and would know without a doubt that it would save my life. If it came down to the wire, I would always pick my glock, mainly due to magazine size and weight issues if carrying concealed. If I were you, I'd sell that Smith and get a Kimber.....you'll love it and it'll work 10x better smile

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2Seventy
[quote=Boococky][quote=ColsPaul]

If I were you, I'd sell that Smith and get a Kimber.....you'll love it and it'll work 10x better smile

It's interesting because a Kimber was on my short list when I started looking for a 1911. What steered me away was the horror stories about their guns that didn't want to run and poor customer repair service. I kind of wished I would have purchased my 2nd choice which was a Springfield Armory. S&W did repair the gun and it seems to work OK now but having shot it I find I really don't care much for the 1911 platform. I much prefer a DA stricker fired gun for defense and Glock, XD, or maybe an M&P in the future. I just picked up a XDm 45 Compact and am looking forward to shooting it. I think this 1911 will be my last and probably go away one of these days. I know they're wildly popular and you can't pick up a gun magazine without one on the cover but having owned one I just don't understand the fasination with these guns? Ah, give me an N frame blue steel and walnut S&W---now there is a gun!

Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very interesting, personally, I do not like S&W semi-auto pistols, never have. They historically have feeding and jamming issues among several other problems.

That's pure boo-cocky, pun intended..........

I've had 3 S&W 1911's (still have 1 that is my main carry piece) & they have all been rock solid perfect, course a little TLC never hurts as does the right mags; that that fact seems to elude some, never fails to amaze.

Also have had 2 Kimbers (still have one) & given the same TLC as the S&W, both were/are perfect as well.

Also have 2 Colts which also are perfect, but no better or worse than any of the others.

Have worked on countless others.

1911's are what you make of them (unless there is a genuine defect as 2seventy apparently had), but most don't seem to know or understand how to care for & feed them, thus they are left to deal with Glocks........& I've nothing against Glocks as I have 2, but there's always the possibility of the KABOOM lurking & since they are both 40's they'll both need new barrels before I'll feel comfortable reloading for them.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Trade it for Glock.

Now that is over the top Funny!!!!!!

Swifty

Swifty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
294 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.