CLICK HERE for CARTRIDGE-SPECIFIC RIFLESCOPE TECHNOLOGY from NIKON!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6200809 - 02/21/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: AkMtnHntr]
2legit2quit Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: cold & forbidden
what I ride, depends upon where I'm going and conditions

mostly 98 Summit X 670

or my old 92 Indy 500 both have saddlebags, which I love, but I leave em stock, I don't like to wrench

new to the stable for me 2007 Skandic wide trac, 550 fan my new farm machinery for pulling sleds into and especially uphill away from our cabin

bought it from a guy in Salcha a few days before Xmas, I didn't own a sled as clean as this one, it's pretty cherry with only 3K trail miles on it, though it did need new skags pretty badly, bastids are $120, maybe they were road miles? (grin)

on the way out to look at it, she texted me "buy it if you want, but I was gonna surprise you with a brand new sled this Xmas"

(there's a chance she got my number mixed up with the pool boy's I suppose)

told her "you know me better than anyone dang near, new doesn't interest me, someone else taking the depreciation hit does"

mom rides a 2002 Indy trail classic it's a 550 fan cooled bought it brand new for her guess 10 years ago, she doesn't put a lot of miles on it cept to the cabin, the kids "borrowin" it have probably put dang near as many miles on it as she has!

for the kids we have a 93 Indy lite GT, man I love that little sled

and a '92 Starfire, can't wait to get rid of it, but guess with having a grand daughter I'll just keep it and gift it to her

just broke the news to my cabin neighbor last night, he's inherited my '82 moto ski spirit (think Elan) he was looking for a cheap sled for his wife, they mostly mush dogs, but sometimes he'd like her to have a sled so they don't have to double up on his bearcat

first I told him $200, but went to the cabin the weekend before this one, snowshoed over to his cabin as I heard the dogs through the woods and his 67 year old wife was there solo, been down there 4 days with just the dogs for company, she seemed pretty content, but happy to have a visitor that said a few words back.

when I went back my cabin I thought about how much that old place means to me, and I'd never got it, if her husband hadn't told me about it when it came up for sale.

sooo I got to figurin $0 was a mite cheaper than $200 and it would give me a grin ever time I saw it knowing I gave Dave a little something back

that's it on sleds for me, though I've bought and sold a few others over the years. as you can see by my list I'm better at buying than selling. (grin)

not worth takin pix of em, but I do enjoy that mode of transportation. Made for a lot of memories and miles of smiles, also taught me some new cuss words too

RV 728 BP
#6202133 - 02/21/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: 2legit2quit]
Dogballs Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Northern Vermont
You guys have any experience with the Ski Doo 600 ACE 4 stroke engines? Looking at Tundras and wondering if the real world MPG makes it worthwhile to go with the 4 stroke.

#6203822 - 02/22/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: Dogballs]
Klikitarik Online   sick
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Alaska - N63º, W162º
A local fellow has one of the new Tundras with the Etec motor. It's easy on gas and oil. We've talked about the ACE as a way of going even easier on fuel. However, his Etec doesn't like temps below -20 (and can't be started without battery power.) I imagine the ACE might have similar issues. It's interesting technology to contemplate. At $6-8 gallon for gas and having to haul what we need between distant fueling stops, a reliable gas sipper would be nice. But 12 grand???

#6204326 - 02/22/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: Klikitarik]
Dogballs Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Northern Vermont
There's a brand new 2011 Tundra LT with the ACE 4 stroke for sale near here for $8,200. The same dealer is advertising the same sled with the 550 for 7 grand. Don't know where you are in AK but I'm sure shipping adds a pile...

If the MPG difference is substantial over the 550 the extra $1,200 for the 4 stroke will be payed back in fuel savings quickly.

#6204929 - 02/22/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: Dogballs]
Klikitarik Online   sick
Campfire 'Bwana

My bad on the price. I was thinking Skandic while I typed Tundra. I haven't run their 550s, but my understanding of them is that they are not good on gas. The ACE, OTOH, is reportedly giving good mileage even on the bigger Skandic. A $1200 price difference would make the fuel cost recovery a no-brainer, at least at our prices.

#6205252 - 02/22/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: Klikitarik]
2legit2quit Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: cold & forbidden
pard has one of the new Skandics with ACE, says he's getting 20 mpg and it started at -40 just fine.

still leaves me troubled though, depending upon a battery the way the thermo can dive off a cliff here.

so far so good I guess, but I believe if I had one, I'd be replacing that battery pretty often.

#6206095 - 02/22/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: 2legit2quit]
AkMtnHntr Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Alaska
When your not using the sled, just pull the battery out and leave it inside where it's warm. Or put a battery tender on it and plug it in when you get to where ever your going.

Steelhead

#6206797 - 02/22/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: AkMtnHntr]
acooper1983 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By: AkMtnHntr
When your not using the sled, just pull the battery out and leave it inside where it's warm. Or put a battery tender on it and plug it in when you get to where ever your going.

I put weather pack connectors on all my quads (i dont have sleds) and i take my batterys out if its really cold (im in the midwest so -5 is cold around here) or if im not gonna be on it for a few weeks, i then plug the weather packs into the corrisponding plugs on the battery tender

#6208934 - 02/23/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: acooper1983]
Klikitarik Online   sick
Campfire 'Bwana

Machines our here get used daily. At less than around -20 many of them begin having starting problems. -15 is generally okay; -25 gets iffy. The new EFI Honda ATVs are worse than the older carbureted models. Many of the newer snowmachines which are supposed to run cleaner have a difficult time without adding heat. A heat gun is a wonderfully simple and useful tool in the cold. You quickly discover that most battery chargers and other electric devices don't have insulation on their wires that are good for much in terms of deep temps though.
I was contemplating a four stroke 'Cat a couple of years ago with some concern about starting in severe cold. They had an accessory package that would automatically start the motor and warm it up whenever it began to get too cold. It was supposed to prevent cold start-up problems resulting from being left overnight at -30 or whatever.

#6208944 - 02/23/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: Klikitarik]
458 Lott Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Conundrum, Alaska
I think a pop up ice fishing tent and Mr. Buddy heater is the key to keeping stuff happy in severe cold. Also makes for a nicer environment for wrenching on a sled.

#6209537 - 02/23/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: 458 Lott]
acooper1983 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Midwest
you fella's sure got her figured out, if only the people in the lower 48 were as resourceful and down to earth as alaskans this country wouldnt be going down the crapper.

#6210369 - 02/23/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: atvalaska]
skudrunner Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Alaska
2011 Polaris Switchback Assualt 800 Snowcheck Orange

#6212886 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: skudrunner]
458 Lott Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Conundrum, Alaska
Finally got my skandic just about finished so went with a ride with the boy on Monday

#6213399 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: 458 Lott]
Klikitarik Online   sick
Campfire 'Bwana

Those remind me of the days when dividend amounts determined the color of the machine crop in a village many years. Lower amounts meant the yellow brand. 'Course that was just a bit earlier than these year models, since a better dividend meant more people could afford the brand with "IFS". I miss those days. My first new machine was a Skandic 277. I don't miss that machine. whistle

#6213985 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: 458 Lott]
ironbender Online   happy
Campfire Oracle

Loc: In the shadow of the Kenai Mtn...
He's getting to be packing-size, Paul!

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

#6216032 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: Klikitarik]
atvalaska Online   shocked
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: 907novacancy
Originally Posted By: Klikitarik
Machines our here get used daily. At less than around -20 many of them begin having starting problems. -15 is generally okay; -25 gets iffy. The new EFI Honda ATVs are worse than the older carbureted models. Many of the newer snowmachines which are supposed to run cleaner have a difficult time without adding heat. A heat gun is a wonderfully simple and useful tool in the cold. You quickly discover that most battery chargers and other electric devices don't have insulation on their wires that are good for much in terms of deep temps though.
I was contemplating a four stroke 'Cat a couple of years ago with some concern about starting in severe cold. They had an accessory package that would automatically start the motor and warm it up whenever it began to get too cold. It was supposed to prevent cold start-up problems resulting from being left overnight at -30 or whatever.
take a mapp gas tourch with u heat the y pipe in front of the cyc head......pull the rope...off u go ....we use them on the trail/cabin at 37 to 42 below(we have temp gauges installed on the sleds get'em at power and transmisson on van horn/its a kenworth gauge-if anything it will show u where not to park/camp)

#6216141 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: atvalaska]
Take_a_knee Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

ATV, so Mapp gas will light/vaporize at lower temps than propane? If so, that is good to know.

#6216222 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: atvalaska]
bluffview Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Michigan-U.P.
Used to ride Arctic Cat ZRs in the mid to late 90s. A mortgage and kids put an end to that.

#6216232 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: Take_a_knee]
Campfire Outfitter

i keep it inside the cabin , and keep it handy enroute. i have never left the /a bottle outside to test (i use propane to) but if i have to go i grab a bottle from inside and head out the door to get her started....my 800rmk aint no fun at those temps. a guy showed me the trick about 10 years ago.

#6216272 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: atvalaska]
ironbender Online   happy
Campfire Oracle

Loc: In the shadow of the Kenai Mtn...
Like a Reddy heater and metal dryer pipe for a vehicle!

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

#6216320 - 02/24/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: ironbender]
Campfire Outfitter

6' stove pipe with a 90 on the end, that and a weed burnner is my friend.

#6218321 - 02/25/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: AkMtnHntr]
kamo_gari Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By: AkMtnHntr
Here's mine sitting in the driveway.

Spring in Petersville.

YO! We talked about you guys having sleds, but I didn't know you guys rocked it like that! wink Way cool, brother.

Two questions:

1. Can you 'wheelie' them consistently?
2. Which one do I get to hurt myself on, er, I mean go for a spin on?

eek whistle grin

#6218630 - 02/25/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: kamo_gari]
fish head Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Colorado Front Range
Originally Posted By: kamo_gari

YO! We talked about you guys having sleds, but I didn't know you guys rocked it like that! wink Way cool, brother.

Two questions:

1. Can you 'wheelie' them consistently?
2. Which one do I get to hurt myself on, er, I mean go for a spin on?

eek whistle grin

Answers ...

Question 1) Yes. Sort of.

a) You pull the skis up on a hard lauch or over a bump or jump.

b) In the right condtions you can do a sideways wheelie on one ski for as far as you can go in straight line.

Question 2) Sorry. I can't help with that one. I sold my snowmachines when I left Alaska.

1995 AC ZR 580 EFI Mountain Cat
2001 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max 141

#6224822 - 02/27/12 Re: lets see them snowgo's!!...whos riding what?? [Re: atvalaska]
Klikitarik Online   sick
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: atvalaska
take a mapp gas tourch with u heat the y pipe in front of the cyc head......pull the rope...off u go ....we use them on the trail/cabin at 37 to 42 below

I generally use boiling water on the exhaust manifold of the snowmachines. Same deal but safer perhaps; can also be used on stubborn/iced carbs without worry about an open flame. Obvious precautions apply in applying water/steam around a fuel system, of course, to avoid exacerbating an existing problem.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
154 registered (AcesNeights, 87notch, 2legit2quit, 40O, 1flier, 257heaven, 20 invisible), 649 Guests and 353 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,485 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,588 Topics
10,007,337 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.