-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Those little chocolate covered mint patties are hard to beat.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T LEE
A brother from another mother!

You might not know Scotch but you do know JB's! smile smile smile

I am a black jelly bean man from way back! Glad to know I am not alone.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The beginning of Lent is Ash Wednesday.

Karen and I just got home from our Ash Wednesday Vigil Mass at our parish, Christ the King Catholic Church, near Milwaukie, Oregon.

Please bear in mind that Christ the King is simply a tiny, tiny little neighborhood Catholic church. A wonderful refuge for we believers, but little in the scheme of things.

Christ the King is very SPECIAL to Karen and me. The folks are our family, our Brothers and Sisters in Christ and they have supported us during the tough times .... they were SO THERE when Karen had her stroke and we love each and every one of them.

This evenings Ash Wednesday Vigil Mass was unreal.

We are tiny, but have room for about 800 worshippers in our pews.

This evening, every pew was full and there were folks lined up against every wall and there were perhaps another 150 folks in the vestibule and a few standing outside. I believe that somewhere between 1,100 and 1,200 folks were at Christ the King this evening, celebrating the wonderful Ash WednesdayVigil Mass.

It was so wonderful.

The readings of the Mass are the same worldwide, so if you attended Mass today, you heard them ... and they were SUPER. The hymns wre fantastic. And Father Dave's Homily was really GREAT

I always read Saint Thomas Aquinas' Thanksgiving Before Receiving the Eucharist. This is such a GREAT preparation before receiving The Lamb upon my tongue and the Precious blood of Our Saviour. And, of course, I again read Saint Thomas' Thanksgiving After Receiving The Eucharist after receiving.

Karen does the same. And our wonderful friends, Kathy and Mike, were with us this evening. Karen was overwhelmed with emotion at receiving The Lamb, as was I.

If this Ash Wednesday is any indicator, our Catholic Lent is off to a GREAT START. A full house of the devout .... how much greater does it get??? (Hint: It's GREAT!!)

I'm busy studying for my next presentation to my group of Lenten Studies. Last week's presentation went really, really well. Hopefully, I can keep that rolling. It really helps to have done a bunch of pilgrimages to Rome, Assisi and the Holy Land ... I can give my little group of pilgrims a personal tour of those special places that were especially touched by Our Lord.

May God Bless All of You and Lead You Along Your OWN Very Special Lenten Journey.

Your Brother In Christ ... Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Friend Steve, it might gladden your heart a bit to know that even the 0700 Mass at Sacred Heart in Punta Gorda was a full of people Mass and we have seating for 1200! Not sure about the other ones (we did the 4 Mass Sunday schedule) but the first Mass turn out was impressive.

It was a GREAT way to start the day and the Lenten Season.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ours was standing room only as well Steve and and always a great humble reminder....
Peace.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I give up okra and eggplant every year.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
brussel sprouts.

I make it easy to keep.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Being raised Baptist and in an area of very few Catholics, I had no idea what Lent was, until I was in High School. I was friends with a young lady from another part of Kentucky, where there was a very large Catholic demographic, and in fact, she was Catholic. I went to visit her during Lent, and got my crash course in it.

It isn't my way of worshipping, but I can appreciate devotion in more forms than one.

I hope that each of the members of the campfire who participate in the Lenten Season are blessed by their experience.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How refreshing.... and from a Bama fan no less. wink

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good crowd at he 7:00 o'clock last night. I'm not really gonna binge on candy during Lent, just kidding about that, but I do love the Easter season and all the good things it brings.

BTW, it's nearly impossible to find plain old jelly beans anymore. Bummer.

Last edited by sse; 02/23/12.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
How refreshing.... and from a Bama fan no less. wink

Absolutely!!! Thank you, Crimson Tide for that wonderful and civil contribution. You're a good guy in my book.

Interestingly, I live very close to a Presbyterian church and a Lutheran church. Both of these local congregations had Ash Wednesday services. Historically, both congregations also particpate in Lent by having Soup Suppers every Friday evening.

Stations of the Cross is always a wonderful tradition at every Catholic Parish. This year, we will have my friend Donna Cori Gibson presenting the first Stations of the Cross at our parish, Christ the King

http://www.youtube.com/user/donnacorigibson#p/u.

Here's something I truly cherish; BOTH of our local Presbyterian and Lutheran communities will be doing Stations of the Cross this year.

Good for them .... we are so much stronger when we are together. And an appreciation of each other's worship can only make our own much stronger.

God Bless You All,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I declare to give up on the Tom264/Steelhead chainjank -

I henceforth put the

Man with the Indiana Stupid Law defying Rifle

and the

Father of the most bestest coast cuttingest Coast Guard Cutter

to ignore.

I pledge to break this lent as soon as I get notice by all you other good folk, that these two have stopped their sillyness.

I do mean to keep my lent on starchy stuff, white sugar & pipe tobacco.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Being raised Baptist and in an area of very few Catholics, I had no idea what Lent was, until I was in High School. I was friends with a young lady from another part of Kentucky, where there was a very large Catholic demographic, and in fact, she was Catholic. I went to visit her during Lent, and got my crash course in it.

It isn't my way of worshipping, but I can appreciate devotion in more forms than one.

I hope that each of the members of the campfire who participate in the Lenten Season are blessed by their experience.

Well said! As a son of a Baptist Pastor, a Bible College Student, and husband to a Catholic lady, I couldn't agree more!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not my way of worship either. But to all who find comfort, peace and fulfillment in the observation of the lenten season I wish you well. I am glad for you that you rejoice in your cherished tradition.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Well said! As a son of a Baptist Pastor, a Bible College Student, and husband to a Catholic lady, I couldn't agree more!
I'll say it again.... bless her heart! She's a saint! grin

NRA Lifer

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
THANK YOU CT, my sister is hard core Southern Baptist and after have many conversation with her she was amazed at all the common ground we have!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wish my Catholic friends well with their path.

I get out of it by believing Christ who went before us was the perfect sacrifice He shares Himself with us, therefore canceling our need to duplicate sacrifice.
He also said He came that we may have life in abundance, which does not sound to my ears that He said we need to sacrifice.

To each his own good luck with your quest.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Terry,

I think we all have more in common than we think. It is the slight differences that cause us so much heartache, but NONE of it matters to GOD!

I, too, am not Roman Catholic, but wish the very best, and most Blessed Lenten season on my brothers and sisters who do follow it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I usually have a good beer or two each night. That is what I am giving up this Lent. Going to save the money saved on buying the beer and give it to the poor. Seriously.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T LEE
THANK YOU CT, my sister is hard core Southern Baptist and after have many conversation with her she was amazed at all the common ground we have!

You are welcome, brother.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.