Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lorin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I am looking at getting a good board and not sure what to look for? Some say to look for end grain boards. what about bamboo?

BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good question. I use a couple different plastic ones and a old wooden one. Lucky I'm still alive..............

It'll be interesting to see what some of the guys have to say.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If, you are using higher end Japanese style knives (performance geared; thinner geometries & higher hardness), end grain wood boards are the ticket.

Poly, glass ( shocked ), bamboo, etc., and to a lesser degree edge grain boards are tough on these types of knives... chipping damage, prematurely dulling of your edges, etc.

David's stuff is stellar.
http://www.theboardsmith.com/

The type of wood (hardness) is also a factor, see Janka scale:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

Wood block size, layout, and type of glue used will also contribute to board quality and knife edge retention.

Sani-tuff, a rubber commercial grade (dishwasher safe) maker of cutting platforms is also a decent option. You will be restricted on size, unless you can cut to fit...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh crap, one of those boards is just one more thing I just have to have.

Am I the only one that gives the wife the stink eye when catching her cutting against plates?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boise

Am I the only one that gives the wife the stink eye when catching her cutting against plates?

No!!!!!

whistle

Even though I have wood boards.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I like a good thick Boos Vermont Maple board

for quick work though, I often use a 'flexible' plastic one.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a maple dish washer top that works pretty good, and a large piece of unknown wood I inherited from my father that is full of bug holes, but works really well.
I also use a piece of the plastic they use in offices under rolling chairs that if the easiest to clean up, but kinda hard on the blade edge.
Mostly though, I try to cut only the meat and not the board.

Rick---not sure what the "stink eye" is, but sounds interesting.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
L
Lorin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Wow, looks as though I asked in the right place. The Boos boards are quite reasonable. Many thanks. Lorin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arn't wooden cutting boards and butcher blocks prime breeding ground for bacteria?

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Lorin
Wow, looks as though I asked in the right place. The Boos boards are quite reasonable. Many thanks. Lorin.

Boos tend to use smaller end-grain pieces/parts and as such will be more prone to separation, cracking, etc.

More joints = more susceptibility to weakness (glue failure, strength, etc... due to more surface area of adjoining components).

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 1234567
Arn't wooden cutting boards and butcher blocks prime breeding ground for bacteria?

No.

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1882/whats-better-a-wooden-cutting-board-or-a-plastic-one

In short, many woods contain natural anti-microbial properties...

Knife made scarring on poly boards however, tend to harbor bacteria.

Also, best to have a dedicated meat/protein board. smile

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
These folks appear to make a great board as well, might be my next one... a small custom shop and very reasonably priced.

http://www.substrata.net/store/cuttingboardscounters/CuttingBoardsCounters.html

I would stick to their brick-style construction end grain.
Strength and durability.

A well made board, properly taken care of, can be passed down generationally... cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My fascination with all things "knifey" documentedly goes well beyond the pale, and I'm unabashedly a snob where science and truth dispel popular notion. As regards boards I'll offer this: my wife grew up in her Mother's two restaurants and catering business, and in following me around the world in my career has earned degrees and certificates from seven renowned Institutions, ALL of which use Boos boards. In our home and vacation home we have Boos boards from my MIL's restaurants over 2 decades old. Boos is "the" name in what they do for a reason - they are the best; to assert otherwise is patently ridiculous, and demonstrably so...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by 1234567

No.

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1882/whats-better-a-wooden-cutting-board-or-a-plastic-one

In short, many woods contain natural anti-microbial properties...

Knife made scarring on poly boards however, tend to harbor bacteria.

Also, best to have a dedicated meat/protein board. smile

When I took a microbiology class, one assignment we did was to quantify and describe the bacteria on cutting boards. I too was surprised when the data from the class indicated what wood was better (although variation was admittedly high).

1234 (if I may be so familiar as to address you like that! smile ) -- that first link is excellent, and in addition to their own scientific findings, report another good study:

We believe, on the basis of our published and to-be-published research, that food can be prepared safely on wooden cutting surfaces and that plastic cutting surfaces present some disadvantages that had been overlooked until we found them.

In addition to our laboratory research on this subject, we learned after arriving in California in June of 1995 that a case-control study of sporadic salmonellosis had been done in this region and included cutting boards among many risk factors assessed (Kass, P.H., et al., Disease determinants of sporadic salmonellosis in four northern California counties: a case control study of older children and adults. Ann. Epidemiol. 2:683-696, 1992.). The project had been conducted before our work began. It revealed that those using wooden cutting boards in their home kitchens were less than half as likely as average to contract salmonellosis (odds ratio 0.42, 95% confidence interval 0.22-0.81), those using synthetic (plastic or glass) cutting boards were about twice as likely as average to contract salmonellosis (O.R. 1.99, C.I. 1.03-3.85); and the effect of cleaning the board regularly after preparing meat on it was not statistically significant (O.R. 1.20, C.I. 0.54-2.68). We know of no similar research that has been done anywhere, so we regard it as the best epidemiological evidence available to date that wooden cutting boards are not a hazard to human health, but plastic cutting boards may be.

I tried to find another study I recall reading, but could not. However, if my memory is correct (don't count on that, so take this with a grain of salt!), the wooden cutting boards that were best were those made from woods with high tannin contents like northern red oak Quercus rubra -- these compounds evidently helping to kill the bacteria.

John

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Lorin

Boos tend to use smaller end-grain pieces/parts and as such will be more prone to separation, cracking, etc.

More joints = more susceptibility to weakness (glue failure, strength, etc... due to more surface area of adjoining components).

now ain't that weird? And to think that I have been using their products in both commercial kitchens and at home for probably 40+ years with no problems. Dang. shocked

Sam......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Scrap piece of Corian, router a decorative edge. Mark one side meat the other veggies. (After each use, clean well and run thru the dishwasher.)

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Journeyman
My fascination with all things "knifey" documentedly goes well beyond the pale, and I'm unabashedly a snob where science and truth dispel popular notion. As regards boards I'll offer this: my wife grew up in her Mother's two restaurants and catering business, and in following me around the world in my career has earned degrees and certificates from seven renowned Institutions, ALL of which use Boos boards. In our home and vacation home we have Boos boards from my MIL's restaurants over 2 decades old. Boos is "the" name in what they do for a reason - they are the best; to assert otherwise is patently ridiculous, and demonstrably so...

What type of wood is the best?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boos website shows mostly hard maple and a couple walnut or cherry boards.

I thought maple was relatively soft when compared to other hard woods BUT they do state 'hard maple' and they obviously know what they are doing.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hard Maple is a lot harder than Cherry and Walnut, but not tremendously hard compared to the really hard stuff. 1450 on the Janka scale.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Boos is "the" name in what they do for a reason - they are the best; to assert otherwise is patently ridiculous, and demonstrably so...

Ridiculous? lol

Boos may be one of the better mass-produced commercially available products along with Michigan Maple/Bally:

http://www.mapleblock.com/detail/michigan-maple-block-history-53/

But Best? *

Quality wise, something coming out of a small woodworker's shop that uses larger end grain pieces, properly cured wood, assembly technique, and far better attention to detail and quality control... I examined Boos and a few others, in hand, and went with a BoardSmith. It was an easy choice...

* For further reading- Google Boos and board failure, cracking, splitting, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.