Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
looking at getting one of these or the dpms praire panther in camo for a coyote, hog,fun, defense gun...want to be able to do some decent range plinking, and plan to put a bushnell elite tactical 5-15 scope on it with the burris pepr mount..but the actual gun is where im on the fence..looked at rra, but they are a lil out of the price i wanna pay...and around here ive seen lots of r15's in the 6-800$ range..so how are they in terms of accuracy and reliability? i plan to change out the buttshock, grip, and other minor things along the road to suit my needs, but the gun itself i want to be accurate and dependable..any reviews are appreciated! and if you got pics of yours set up for varmint hunting post some pics up so i can get a better idea of the finished product..thanks fellas
Brian

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
ARIC

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You get what you pay for.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
that doesnt really help with the question i asked tho? i know i can spend more than my checkbook will hold to customize one, but im looking to not break the bank, and still have a fine shooting AR...not gonna be a competitive paper puncher, i just want something with a 20" barrel thatll have realiable accuracy

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Accurate and dependable will depend on your definition. If your AR does not feed and go bang dependably with either factory ammo or good handloads, it needs to go back to the manufacturer until it does.

AR's by design are accurate, as long as the barrel is decent. Benchrest accuracy will always be a crap shoot with any production rifle.

The dipped camo coating on the Remington tends to peel and flake and look nasty.

I'd buy the RRA, but it's your call.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I don't have a Rem R15, but I understand they shoot pretty good after you replace the trigger. So you take a $800.00 R15 and add a $200.00 RRA two stage chrome trigger group, and you have the cost of a RRA that will shoot 1/2" MOA with reloads.
I do have two RRA's.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
RRA for sure - (I have 6 AR rifles/pistol)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the RRA mid-length A4 on order and I bought it during the winter sale. $750 + tax is pretty cheap for a MOA gun with a 2 stage match trigger.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=224

If you give them a few weeks, there will probably be a spring sale going on.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The R-15 should make you a good calling AR even with the stock trigger. Plus the Camo and Light Weight Barrel would be plus. You may also want to look at the Smith & Wesson line of AR'S

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've looked at the s&w line as well, but for a calling gun or even just some regular plinking at 2-300 yards or so I think the r15 should do plenty good for...im used to the less than perfect triggers since I have alot of time on military m16/m4's and as long as the trigger is better than those im happy lol..my mind isn't completely made on exactly what ar configuration I want since I gotta wwait til after my deployment to buy it..just like getting ideas around beforehand

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never found the regular trigger on a AR a real handicap for hunting and not all that bad for paper shooting if you take your time and get used to it. I believe DPMS makes the R-15 that Remington sells under the Remington name. My personal opinion the R-15 will serve your purpose well right out of the box. If you aren't satisfied you can always trade up or replace the barrel

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by bea175
I believe DPMS makes the R-15 that Remington sells under the Remington name.
It's a camo'ed Bushmaster.

Last edited by UPhiker; 02/24/12.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My son and nephew both have the R15. The nephew had some jam problems but they went away, believe that it was a bad mag. I have shot my sons and watched both of them shoot paper and coyotes. Both guns are sub 1" at 100 yards, with 50 grain ballistic tips. They don't shoot 40 grain bullets near as accurately. In my view they are great guns. The triggers are not great but liveable.
I am probably going to buy one to add to my AR collection.

NRA Patron
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
some good info here...thanks for the help so far

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Agreed on the previous post on the R-15 being a Bushmaster. I think DPMS used to make them for Remington at one time. Anyway if you want a R-15 I suggest you save yourself some money and buy the Bushmaster from Wal-Mart....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Got one stock trigger is fine, rock n roll!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Any other opinions? Im really between the r15 and dpms. prairie panther..both are right about the specs I want and price range

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by navyman20
looking at getting one of these or the dpms praire panther in camo for a coyote, hog,fun, defense gun...want to be able to do some decent range plinking, and plan to put a bushnell elite tactical 5-15 scope on it with the burris pepr mount..but the actual gun is where im on the fence..looked at rra, but they are a lil out of the price i wanna pay...and around here ive seen lots of r15's in the 6-800$ range..so how are they in terms of accuracy and reliability? i plan to change out the buttshock, grip, and other minor things along the road to suit my needs, but the gun itself i want to be accurate and dependable..any reviews are appreciated! and if you got pics of yours set up for varmint hunting post some pics up so i can get a better idea of the finished product..thanks fellas
Brian

I've had/have everything thus far mentioned and lots that ain't. My R-15's trigger is easily the best feeling OEM Gas Gun trigger I've ever yanked,though my pard's was about threefold the pull weight of mine and laden with copious creep. Have never had a "bad" Bushy,nor ever seen one that wouldn't hang tidy Agg's reliably.

My R-15 beef is the lack of a C/L spout,but admittedly I'm far harder on schit than most and prolly see a little weather on the average day. A 9" suits me,though I've 7's,8's,9's and 14" twist Gassers. COAL is the bane,regarding boolit selection,not twist and a 9" will happily launch everything that has bearing surface above the case mouth in a MilSpec-ish mag.

The PEPR ain't horrid,though the Bushnell is dog schit. My latest RRA upper is fine,but I prefer a gas block that is 1pc,as opposed to any of them that are clamped and trust taper pins far more than threaded fasteners.

30mm PEPR on a DPMS 243Win.

[Linked Image]

Some R-15 victims,in both fixed(22") and collapsible(18") versions.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you are going to tinker,the S&W is tough to argue against. The bores are nice,triggers not too shabby and they run reliably. Forward assist means dick to me,but a dust cover is nice,for keeping weather and vegetation outta nether regions.

S&W and a RRA upper(LW C/L spout).

[Linked Image]

Gassers are like Legos and easy to meld to tastes. The R-15 is the route I'd go,lonngggggggggg before the Panther.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the lower M&P rifles name

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by navyman20
Brian

I've had/have everything thus far mentioned and lots that ain't. My R-15's trigger is easily the best feeling OEM Gas Gun trigger I've ever yanked,though my pard's was about threefold the pull weight of mine and laden with copious creep. Have never had a "bad" Bushy,nor ever seen one that wouldn't hang tidy Agg's reliably.

My R-15 beef is the lack of a C/L spout,but admittedly I'm far harder on schit than most and prolly see a little weather on the average day. A 9" suits me,though I've 7's,8's,9's and 14" twist Gassers. COAL is the bane,regarding boolit selection,not twist and a 9" will happily launch everything that has bearing surface above the case mouth in a MilSpec-ish mag.

The PEPR ain't horrid,though the Bushnell is dog schit. My latest RRA upper is fine,but I prefer a gas block that is 1pc,as opposed to any of them that are clamped and trust taper pins far more than threaded fasteners.

30mm PEPR on a DPMS 243Win.

[Linked Image]

Some R-15 victims,in both fixed(22") and collapsible(18") versions.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you are going to tinker,the S&W is tough to argue against. The bores are nice,triggers not too shabby and they run reliably. Forward assist means dick to me,but a dust cover is nice,for keeping weather and vegetation outta nether regions.

S&W and a RRA upper(LW C/L spout).

[Linked Image]

Gassers are like Legos and easy to meld to tastes. The R-15 is the route I'd go,lonngggggggggg before the Panther.

thanks for your insight...i do agree with your views on the diff guns..but the scope is where i guess we'll agree to disagree..sure there is better and more pricey options out there, but i have a buddy with an elite tactical 6-24 and the glass was real clear and i liked the features of it..i just dont want that much scope for my gun lol..but i do agree that forward assist on an ar really is a moot point 99.9999% of the time, if you rack it back like a man itll never be used(ive put thousands and thousands of rounds thru military m4/16s and never used the forward assist once)...but it def looks like your r15 can kill some stuff! and i do like your dmps 243 as well

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
any other opinions?

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.