Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess i'll get the usual i study tire iron , etc. laugh
Just curious if anybody else out there studies.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In my youth. Jukado.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
that's cool. never studied judo. always wanted to. i started isshinryu karate in 1980. switched to taekwon do and hapkido when i was in college in the mid 80's and then switched back to isshinryu in 99. still doing it but the injuries are wearing me down. i've had a few broke bones, two knee surgeries and looking at shoulder surgery from the grappling.
i'm 46 and it's getting harder to heal up.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Field Hand, actually it was Jukado, an American synthesis created by Dr. Bruce Tegner after years of studying in Japan. It was a combination of judo, yawara, savate, karate, jiu-jitsu, and aikido, though most of it was karate and judo. I'm going on 60 and had to give it up many years ago when my sensei moved away. Jukado instructors were not easily found them, probably still aren't.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ok just reread that. i didn't catch first time. sounds like an effective blending of styles.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It was purely a defensive art, not a sport karate, though my sensei was not beyond having his students compete. But the emphasis was totally on self-defense situations and belts did not come easily, nor were there a slug of different colors. White, blue, brown, black. I would imagine it is still the same.

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular

I have Tegner's book, The Complete Book of Jukado. Never new it was actually taught though.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, there are schools scattered around the country. Mostly on the west coast, I think. I know there is one in Portland. I did a search a few months ago and located my former sensei. He had been an airborne corpsman during Nam and later trained SEALS.

I've practiced Tae Kwon Do, Shorin Ryu, Judo and now I'm currently taking Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. I love martial arts!! And I'm a HUGE MMA fan. smile

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
what part of the country are you from. we just had a shorinryu stylist start working out at our dojo. we work out with alot of different schools in our area and have workouts where everyone can learn a blending of alot of different styles. I also like the weapons. We work alot of knive and arnis drills also.

I'm living in South Texas. I love a mixture of styles. Probably why I like MMA so much. And I really like Machida who shows everyone that its not all about wrestling.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yi Dan TKD working on Sam Dan and trying to pass back some knowledge at PSU main campus a few days a week.

http://groupspaces.com/KOREANKARATE/

Last edited by rem06; 03/18/12.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem06
Yi Dan TKD working on Sam Dan and trying to pass back some knowledge at PSU main campus a few days a week.

http://groupspaces.com/KOREANKARATE/
that's cool. i got my sandan in tkd and am a sandan in isshinryu also.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
master is next smile

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
Sun Tzu

one of my favorites:
"The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives...It is too bad that more people will not accept this tremendous discovery and begin living it." William James
thats cool smile i like it smile

we have 3 BB cantidates in training right now. spending alot of time with them and going well.
feels good

Last edited by rem06; 03/21/12.

NRA life member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
sun tzu has alot of really good lessons. lot's of current military leaders use those teachings also.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
and being very vague,i know of our students highly involved in the military!
it really keeps you going.and i can still throw a jump spin hook kick! but likely wont need to smile
as i carry a G22 also smile

NRA life member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always wanted to study Aikido. Beautiful practice IMO.

Me

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by teal
Always wanted to study Aikido. Beautiful practice IMO.
dabbled in it a little . it is a beautiful are. rem06 i'm the same way. i still have very quick feet but all those years of doing it have ruined my knees. when i teach my age 20 something students i tell them it's all about fighting dirty and evening the odds. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello,

Kickboxing when I was younger, Aikido and wushu when I got older.

I can technically teach and I do teach my kid (what he can learn yet as he only just turned 4), but mostly I'm out of it these days.

I still have a tree out there with a rope wrapped around it for punching. It is a dead tree. Last time I was practicing I started getting sticks and such falling down. I'd hear one coming through the limbs and dodge it by sound.

That was, until I missed a dodge and a large branch, about as big around as my arm and at least as long, broke over my head. I was down, out, and not at all sure I was OK.

Turns out I had a hell of a bump and had an eye swelled shut where part hit me in the face when it broke.

I've not used that tree since, although I'm thinking about putting a helmet on here in a few days and cutting it down right above the rope. I need something to practice on again!

Josh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.