Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Several years ago I got the handgun hunting bug.
I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter (regular grip), and for some reason I can't remember, wound up selling it.

I would like to own a nice hunting pistol in .44 mag. (perfect for deer and hogs), and I'm trying to decide between the Blackhawk Hunter or Bisley Hunter.

My only "gripe" with the regular grip was that when the hammer was cocked, the web of my shooting hand got in the way. I have average size hand, but I guess I have a naturally high grip. I had to make sure I lowered my grip so the hammer had adequate room, but doing that left my pinky finger nothing to hold onto.

The Bisley design looks like it would take care of my grip issue, but I've never been able to put my hands on one and try it.

Was just wondering if:

1. The Bisley grip actually gives you more area to hold onto without getting in the way of the hammer.

and....

2. Are their any goods OR bads about the shape/design of the bisley grip when firing stout .44 mag loads? I didn't know if this design tends to help distribute recoil or if it pushes more back into the shooters hand than the regular grip.

Any input would be appreciated.

SCHOOLCRAFT

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ross Seyfried is probably the only reason Ruger still makes the Bisley grip. He was/is quite a vocal proponent of it's virtues. He was hot-rodding Blackhawks decades ago, and would use nothing but Bisleys. Maybe some of his older articles are on the net for you to peruse. Guns & Ammo, Handloader and Rifle magazine were his venues IIRC.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Bisley hunter in 44 mag and I like it over the plow handle because the plow handle digs into the bottom of my palm and it hurts to shoot one. I have big mitts though.

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been shooting a plow handle for so many years I just can't get the Bisley grip to feel right for me. I've had several and I like the fact that it's bigger but it just doesn't feel right. I think you are just going to have to handle both and decides what fits your hand.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Having tried both I personally like the Bisley style for heavy loads. A friend prefers the standard plow handle. To each his own I guess.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As will become quickly apparent, grip shape is a very personal thing and personal preference. It may also depend on what you started with and got used to. I have 5 �� SS NMBHs in .45 Colt with the XR-3RED grip and the Bisley grip. I have fired heavy loads in both back to back to see what differences I might detect. I have large hands. The first thing I noticed is that I had to change the grips on both. I have found that I prefer Eagle Gunfighter grips for both. The standard Ruger NMBH grips flare at the bottom and make themselves very uncomfortable. The Bisley grip doesn�t flare, but it was just the right diameter to align my second finger with the trigger guard where it got a nice beating. The Eagle grips eliminate that for both guns. With the Eagle grips I don�t feel much of any difference between the guns. The NMBH rolls more in the hand. The Bisley has a slightly more straight line push, at least to me. The Super Blackhawk has a lower, wider hammer spur than the NMBH, while the Bisley has an even wider hammer spur. I actually prefer the higher hammer spur of the NMBH. I am tempted to fit a NMBH hammer to my 5 �� Super Blackhawk, but I haven�t gotten around to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer the Bisley to the plow handle (any iteration of the plow handle). I have Bisley grip frames on my hardest kicking big bores and IMO, they would be uncontrollable without the Bisley grip.

Most of the reputable custom gunsmiths will automatically change the grip frame on their conversions to the bigger calibers -- like the .475 and .500 Linebaughs. In fact, Hamilton Bowen won't even build a .475 or .500 L without putting a Bisley grip frame on the revolver.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use Houge grips on my Redhawk...
The stock wood just leaves my hand sore too quickly.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both the Blackhawk and Bisley. Prefer the Bisley.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I find my Bisley hunter in 41 shooting 210's at 1400 fps easier to control than my buddy's blackhawk in 357.

Part of that is surely due to the extra weight and longer barrel of the Hunter. But i also give much credit to the extra length of the Bisley grip handle.

Yes, the grip does give a longer "gripping surface". I can actually use three fingers to hold and control the revolver. With a standard SBH grip, I can only fit the 2'nd and 3'rd fingers onto the grip.

Also the Bisley grip will cause the revolver to push more directly into the web of your thumb and roll upward less than with the SBH handle.

Stop in at your local gun store, and give both a feel. I fondled both models extensively at the local Sportsman's. But I had to go to Gunbroker and purchase a Davidson's model to get the Bisley Hunter in 41 mag.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hands are middle size, a Glock 21 is about the largest pistol I can grip with comfort.

I also have pitifully little experience behind a either Ruger, BUT....in the little bit of experience I HAVE had in actually firing both on a range, I find that the SBH rolls quite a bit more in the hand. as my pinky fingers are the smallest portion of the hand, I also find that flare at bottom to be a good thing, but a reasonable followup shot is darn-slow

For the Bisley, I found the recoil to be more straight back. With little 44mag expereince (something I would like to change) I found the gun very comfortable to hold and quicker as to follow up shots, but considerably less comfrotable to shoot

So there you do or don't have it, pending the credence you give this

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the bisley grip better for heavy loads. Linebaugh is a big proponent of the grip as well for his builds.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 19 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.