Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the smallest bedroom in our house got converted to the

man room

and with all the crap I have in there, gun safe, backpacks, tents, sleep bags, stoves, hydration filters, books tapes, etc.

it's just what it say

man room

ain't room for two men in there at the same time!

I handcrafted my own desk too

it's a couple of 2x8's over twin filing cabinets, turns out not everyone is as handy as mart

mine don't look nearly as pretty as his

lordy I certainly hope the girls find me handsome

or at least one girl

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
BP-B2

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
But theres no dead stuff hanging in the Man room...... wink

Not finished yet. I don't have any mounts. A few antler mounts and lots of tanned furs, including a cougar. Once I get the windows trimmed it will be time to start getting some stuff on the walls. Mama says "get me a grizzly rug for the wall in the living room", so I've got my orders for this spring. grin

Thanks guys.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Very nice! What you have done looks great! Obvious you have worked hard and done it right. I would be embarassed to post pictures of my "man cave" right now...keep thinking I maybe I will get a snow day to spend some time in the basement one of these days to work on it, but hasn't happened yet.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks awesome!!!!
Heck, all that I have is a "Man Corner".

M
MJS Offline
M
I am always envious of those of you with skills in woodworking, electrical and all other remodeling skill sets.

My father who was handy like this, died when I was young and I never got the tutoring.

I worry about retirement coming up because these skills would be so handy to keep a man busy.

Nice work - I always enjoy these threads where you show a project through its steps.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for sharing your project with us, Mart. I love the look of your birch cabinetry. You've got some real talent there! I love the light color and grain of northern birch.

And it must be totally cool to be able to work your magic using wood you've harvested yourself. Sorta like catching a salmon or trout on a fly you tied yourself, using feathers from a pheasant you shot yourself, or some such.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MJS-don't give up on the notion of learning how. My dad was handy with almost all building skills and taught me a little bit. Mom didn't want me to use the power tools cause I might get hurt you know. I helped a cousin with some construction/destruction and learned a little more. Helped a friend remodel my mom's house and learned a whole bunch more. Today I have a pretty nice shop (unheated unfortunately) with lots of tools.
Question-what does your mill charge to plank out the wood? We had an old fart with a woodmizer who charged me 50 or 60 cents a board foot. He's retired but a young fella in town bought his gear and I plan on him planking out a walnut tree that fell down this fall.
Before I forget thanks for the post. I really like posts like this.

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
MJS,

My dad was pretty handy but as a dairy farmer didn't get to use his skills except when absolutely necessary. The demands of milking cows and putting up feed took all his time. There was little time to take to educate a kid in carpentry. I learned most of my woodworking skill from Norm Abrams (New Yankee Workshop), and videos from a few other woodworking personalities. The rest, drywall, electrical and tile work I picked up from my contractor buddy. I help him with jobs frequently and get advice and help from time to time.

Most of it is simple math and trial and error. I make lots of mistakes that someone who had apprenticed in the trade would not. I have learned a great deal from my mistakes which just makes room for me to make new mistakes to learn from.

Don't be afraid to jump in and try it. It is not that difficult and you may surprise yourself with a new found interest. Beware though, woodworking is much like guns, there is much you just absolutely have to have, or at least think you have to have. It is every bit as slippery a slope as the one we go down with our guns and reloading.

And then once you have a handle on power tools, you will start getting interested in old hand tools. Man, there are tons of hand planes out there, for every imaginable application. I got started down that trail and haven't been able to find my way out of the old hand tool woods yet. Then there are chisels and hand saws. It never ends. crazy

Mart

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
1096here,

The mill I use charges a flat $45 an hour. I deliver the logs to them on my trailer and they fit it into their schedule. I don't take stuff to them with the idea I am going to get it next week. My orders are small and they do a lot of big orders so I am happy to get the work done. They do great work, will cut whatever I want and they always remember my name and will take a few minutes to visit with me. They can cut a lot of lumber in an hour so I have no issue with the price. I think the largest bill I ever had was $330 and it took me two loads on my 12 foot tandem axle trailer to get it home.

I have talked with other sawyers with portable mills. Some wanted to make all their money in set up fees to come to my yard. I would rather haul to the guys I have been using and know it will be done right. I think 50 cents a board foot sounds a bit high but have never priced it out that way. The hourly rate works out to about 20 cents a board foot for me.

Mart

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice!

Are you worried about the bookcase cracking or splitting being so close to the heater? I know our insert really cranks out some heat.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The bookcase has been through the whole winter without showing any cracks or splits. I made sure the wood was down to 6% moisture before I started building and the largest portions of it are birch plywood. The face frames, door styles and rails, drawer front and the large shelf over the drawer are solid birch. I had a large oak hutch there for years and never had any splitting or cracking. I think if the piece was solid hardwood instead of plywood faced with hardwood it would stand a pretty good chance of splitting. Being dried properly also helps reduce the splitting.

Mart

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You did a nice job with the finish in making the wood pop. Birch can be really nice.
Seems to me you should be looking to nab some beetle kill pine, too. Dunno if the Chugach got hit, but you do have some lodgepole around, if I remember right. That and lots of spruce.
I got some really nice bluestain in two miracle units of three-inch laths. Some Canuck mill, old LPP, kilned to perfection, milled splinter free, dead nuts straight. Made lots of cabinet doors and face frames out of it. Eye candy, wish I could find more without having to buy a whole unit.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave,

Just two coats of clear satin poly followed by a light sanding with 320 grit paper to smooth it up. Then a lightly thinned coat of the same poly applied lightly with a cloth. Finished off with some paste wax and some buffing.

We don't have much of any lodge pole locally that I'm aware of. I've heard of some around but never run onto it. We have a lot of spruce and I have done a couple of dressers from spruce I cut in my yard.

I have a line on two cottonwoods that are huge and solid. The owners want them down and they will make a ton of lumber for me. Most cottonwoods this big are rotten in the center but these are both solid. It's not maple or oak but it makes pretty fair lumber. One fellow showed me an entire set of kitchen cabinets he did in cottonwood. They were really very attractive.

Mart

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Very nice, Mart.
I'm interested in the reason for the vents on the raised floor under your wood stove. Is there a place that warm air enters at the back of the stove? Louvers? A fan?
I'm interested because I'm installng a similar stove in my basement & like the idea of a raised floor.
Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Dave
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The concrete board on which the tile is mounted stands off the wall with one inch spacers made from strips of hardy board. That creates some vertical channels behind the tile. The base has openings cut in the joist to allow air to flow to those channels. This draws cool air from the floor through those vents and as it warms it travels up those channels and exits at the top of the tile creating a bit of a warm air exchange with in the room. The stove does have a fan on it but we don't use it much. The stove puts out plenty of heat without it most times.

I do have to finish the fresh air return which I am working on. As I replace the old windows in the house it becomes critical that I allow for fresh air to enter for better combustion not to mention our own health.

I would like to replace the stove. There are much more efficient stoves available. This one was in the house when we bought it. I had a small Lopi in our last house and really liked it. I will get another Lopi when we replace this one.

Mart

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Looks like a good idea, Mart. Would be interesting to hold a Kleenex in front of one of the vents to see how much air is drawn in, when the stove is fired up.
Thanks for the info.

Dave
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have blown out a kitchen match and watched the smoke. It does move slowly through the vents. I doubt a kleenex tissue would move. The air movement is only slight but it does transfer.

Mart

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good Mart. A little air movement is enough to draw off the floor & warm more room air.
You have wood-working skills, no doubt about that.

Dave
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for a great thread! I really enjoyed it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
519 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.