Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I knew when we bought our house nine years ago that the family room would, along with much of the rest of the house, need a remodel. The carpet was old and worn, the walls had heavily sculpted dust catching texture and the hearth was hideous. The lights were just fluorescent shop lights and were poorly placed. We started the remodel last winter and I am now closing in on it.

Here are some pics.

It all started with the harvesting of some Alaskan birch for lumber. Here I'm loading some logs for the mill.

[Linked Image]

Here's a load of birch ready to stack and dry. It takes about a year per inch to air dry lumber.

[Linked Image]

Here's a stack, tent tarped, stickered and drying.

[Linked Image]

The old hearth in all it's hideousness.

[Linked Image]

The new hearth. I still need to trim out the sides.

[Linked Image]

The built in book case. The face frames, doors, drawer and base boards are from some that birch. I haven't got all the books out yet and haven't settled on the exact arrangement of the shelves. My wife's discerning eye will be helpful with that.

[Linked Image]

More of the book case.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/mart-photo/IMG_1251Small.jpg[/img]

I just finished this today. It's my reloading hutch. Room for most of my supplies and gear and hopefully keep the bench clutter to a minimum.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/mart-photo/IMG_1256Small.jpg[/img]

I created a cubby for all my reloading and reference manuals.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/mart-photo/IMG_1255Small.jpg[/img]

We have done a lot of work. The ceiling had old acoustic tile which, when removed showed the drywall had never been taped or mudded and was only 1/2" instead of the required 5/8". Don't get me started on the wiring misadventures we found. We scraped the walls and floated them flat, textured and painted. I corrected the wiring issues, put up a new 5/8" ceiling, installed new lighting and windows, laid a tile floor and wrapped the glue lam beam in birch. I still have to trim the windows and there are a couple of pieces of furniture yet to build but the room is finally coming together. Pretty soon I can get pictures, antlers, skins and all the other man room stuff up. Thanks for looking.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice work should give you many hours of enjoyment!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
nice work! I really like the slate.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very ambitious and it appears well worth it. Great job!

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great looking man room you have there, should be really nice looking with all the man stuff. Congrats and enjoy.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thank you for showing us these pictures. You have dome a lot better than just well. It shows that you took time and put a lot of care into your work. I like the new look a lot. It looks even nicer since we know you harvested and dried the wood. It is truly a start to finish kind of project. You have every right to be proud of the work of your hands.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GREAT WORK Marty! Your skillset and patinece FAR surpases mine.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks guys. I have enjoyed for the most part. It was pretty discouraging at first when one step led to another problem which led to another problem. Remodels just go that way I guess. Now it's all coming together. I still need to build a reloading desk. It will look more like a desk than a reloading bench. My presses are on a stand made from 3/8" plate steel, 18" square and mounted on a section of 2 1/2" steel tubing so that it turns offering a different side for presses, bullet luber, shotgun press etc. I plan to wrap the base (a steel tire rim) in walnut plywood so that it looks nice instead of having an ugly old rim in my new room. Thanks again for the kind words.

Mart

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have been busy...from logs to furniture. Nice job.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice! Well done!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That bookcase and hutch is very cool.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Outstanding work!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pretty nice. I think it is awesome how you can cut down a tree yourself and get nice lumber. If that was the case here, there wouldn't be many trees safe from me.

-Piss into the wind.
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I get most of my lumber from tress when I'm cutting firewood. When I get a nice clean large birch I save a few logs over 10" for the saw mill. It keeps me in project lumber and I don't have to pay the exceedingly high local prices for hardwoods. We do have some hardwood suppliers locally and they are fair on their prices but it cost them considerably to get hardwood to Alaska. I don't fault them for the prices they have to charge and it's nice to have a source for hardwoods. It's also nice to be able to go out to my stash and pull out a few pieces for a project when I need to. Birch, cottonwood and spruce are about all we have locally. I miss the northeast where I grew up and it's amazing selection of hardwoods. I used to take those giant oaks, maples, walnut and beeches for granted. From a woodworking standpoint I was in woodworker's heaven back there. I do like the color of Alaskan birch and the way it works. Thanks again guys for all the encouragement.

Mart

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very interesting Mart.

Great work, thanks for sharing!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by safariman
GREAT WORK Marty! Your skillset and patinece FAR surpases mine.

Thinking the same, for sure!

But theres no dead stuff hanging in the Man room...... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great work, Mart!

I love birch furniture. You make my attempts at a reloading bench look positively crude. laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Sweat equity, good on you.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
Thank you for showing us these pictures. You have dome a lot better than just well. It shows that you took time and put a lot of care into your work. I like the new look a lot. It looks even nicer since we know you harvested and dried the wood. It is truly a start to finish kind of project. You have every right to be proud of the work of your hands.

I will second that Scott.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looks good

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.