Print Thread
Hop To
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Fellas the question is coming from down under. Would like to hear if anyone has opinions on this saddle for general trail riding

Thanks
Johno

GB2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I know a few people who ride them. Mostly just Sunday riders. I guess they would do if you don't expect to much out of them.
I couldn't honestly give them a good or bad review since I have never ridden one.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't say anything for certain about that particular saddle but I will say the worst and least comfortable day riding I ever had was in a synthetic.
A friend convinced me to try one and I decided to give it a go with an open mind but after three hours in the saddle I felt like I'd done about 20 hours.

The original international turd
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The situation is that my wife is mid 50s, with arthritis being a real problem. The saddle she uses Combo Poley, half breed, swinging fender. Made by Toowoomba saddlery. A great comfortable saddle, but heavy. She is now having trouble throwing it on her mare.

Maarty, we lived at Taihape for a number of years and she used it mustering and competitive trail riding, it really is an arm chair to ride in.

Any opinions on a good quality lighter saddle would be welcome, going to be tough finding something leather I think

Johno

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The country round Taihape can be pretty vertical.

With arthritis I can see the need for a lightweight saddle, I think Syd Hill makes a synthetic stock saddle that might be worth a look. Wintec have always been a well known brand, but then that was the brand of saddle I had trouble with.
Perhaps see if you can find out about the Syd Hill ones and compare them to the Abetta saddles.

Just like with leather saddles, if you want quality you have to pay for it, even though synthetics are still cheaper than leather in most cases.
Either way I'd probably swap out the straps on a synthetic for leather straps, including stirrup leathers and girth straps because I've seen a lot of them that become cracked and frayed, they may still retain their strength but I don't trust the look of them once they crack or fray.

My daughter wanted a synthetic saddle when she started riding and I refused, I wanted her to learn to care for a saddle and to know her saddle inside and out not have one she could just spray with a hose and leave to dry (which is how a lot of people clean synthetic saddles)

The original international turd
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Clean a saddle? Doesn't it ever rain there?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 74 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.