Hop To
#6193450 02/19/12
S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone seen the Savage Mod. 25 in 17 Hornet, or the dies or brass, or loaded ammo yet if so were ????

BP-B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Sgt5 , check the recent Posts on Saubier.Com . Quite a bit of Info. on the new 17HH and the old 17AH .

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have visited this that site before I haven't saw anything new.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't think any are shipping until March or April, be patient-er................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Sgt5 , there is a lot of Info on Saubier . You have to go to the General Discussion Section on Forums and Search for recent " Shot Show " Info . Somewhere in there were pictures of the Ammo ( I think only the Box ) & prototype Rugers , etc . Try the following : http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/25+lvt . Also try http://www.hornady.com/store/17-hornet-dieset/ . When you go to the Savage Site , Click on Firearms , then Gunfinder , then Caliber , then 17 Hornet & it will show you the available Models & MSRP . Luck !

Last edited by boy1; 02/19/12.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm waitin' for the Ruger.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I would rather have the Ruger also but from what I hear we have to wait even longer,I am considering a Ruger in 22 Hornet and a barrel change to the 17 Hornet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All due apologies to any who like their Ruger Hornet, but that's the one gun I'd avoid. A converted rimfire with a two-piece bolt and a too-short magazine is three strikes and out, in my opinion.

I'd wait for a Browning or a Savage or a CZ - in that order of preference.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Actually Rocky... that's good info...

what would a 17 KHornet give us that one could not accomplish with a like loaded 17 Fireball...

I only ask, as I always keep thinking of ordering a 17 Barrel for a fireball...Green Mountain barrel blank maybe..

to put either on a Ruger 77 or Model 70 SA..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The .17 Hornet quite honestly just gives us the last picket in the sensible .17-cal fence. We now have the .17 M2, the .17 HMR, the .17 Hornet, the .17 Fireball, and the original .17 Rem. The last one of those (and the first one introduced commercially) is arguably overbore for that bore size, based on its propensity to foul bores and its often quirky pressure curves. Nothing bigger makes any sense.

The only other missing case size that could go commercial would be the .17 Bee, and I doubt that will ever happen.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The too short mag is not a concern I would prefer if it were a single shot but I am fine with the rotary mag that I will never use. I am 48 years old and would like to have this rifle before I retire so that rules out the Browning and mabey The CZ. How many Pc. in the 700 bolt or the Savage 110 bolt and some of them are fireing mag cartriges. I have a 17 Rem. 17 Fireball and a 17 hmr, a 22WMR and a host of other centerfire 22's it's not about what would one do that the other would not, it is about would this cartridge fit a specific need, and to me it is exactly what I need for one particular farm I hunt. It aint loud , I only need to shoot out to 200 yds. no muzzle jump, and it is reloadable.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The .17 Hornet quite honestly just gives us the last picket in the sensible .17-cal fence. We now have the .17 M2, the .17 HMR, the .17 Hornet, the .17 Fireball, and the original .17 Rem. The last one of those (and the first one introduced commercially) is arguably overbore for that bore size, based on its propensity to foul bores and its often quirky pressure curves. Nothing bigger makes any sense.

The only other missing case size that could go commercial would be the .17 Bee, and I doubt that will ever happen.

My .17 Rem's have never fouled any more than anything else.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Seafire

what would a 17 KHornet give us that one could not accomplish with a like loaded 17 Fireball...

I only ask, as I always keep thinking of ordering a 17 Barrel for a fireball...Green Mountain barrel blank maybe..

You need the Hornet version.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
O.K. I got the product available notification yesterday for 17 Hornady Hornet ammo from Midway, e-mail time stamp 4.20 p.m. I did not check my mail till 8 p.m. and they already sold out did anyone get in on the 17 Hornet ammo?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some really cool options with the 17HH being factory loaded and the round (OR rather, IMHO, its somewhat counterpart the 17 Ackley Hornet) amazes shooters beyond expectations.

I wasnt going to wait.

Some are saying the Ackley will out perform the Hornady, time will tell but the P.O. Ackley version is just "too cool" for me and in the midst of a deal for a custom barreled CZ 527 in it.

Yep, IF YOU CAN FIND THEM (which will happen sooner or later) the hornady will be VERY popular but for me, 22 hornet brass is easy to come by (I have lots too) and Ill bet cheaper.

Cost of dies you say? 85 bucks or so at CH4D and Lee will make Custom Collet dies and seater die for 65 TYD, just takes a little time (which is what is happening anyway ...waiting, on the hornady) by sending them fired brass and a bullet from YOUR rifle. (unsure JUST how much difference it would make. Me thinks they just want to double check headspace and shoulder angle).

Anyway, at my age, time is something I dont waste. LOL

Forming dies for the 17AH is reported as pretty easy. The Fire Forming round shoot as well as full loaded rounds for most, and I dont have to wait.......so long.

If I was going to wait........Id wait for the supposedly late 2012 CZ 527 (cant get away from that TRIGGER......oh my) but IM WILLING TO BET they will come at a premium and be in short supply for months.

Six one way, half a dozen the other. Pros and Cons, for both. Nope, I cant buy loaded 17 Ackley rounds and cant afford to buy new ammo anyway, or not do so without cutting back on shooting?

Forming, loading, buying components....all part of the fun to me and the end results seem tough to argue with. "Self Customized" loads.

Ill be shooting Channing Nagel's bullets by the way. Custom bullets a bit over (very small bit) over V-max prices and I GET TO PICK the meplat in 20, 25, 30 grain? Win Win situation for me.

Ill be hunting all summer with my CZ 17 Ackley hornet ......instead of waiting.

2 cents, no offense to anywone. Food for thought only.

God Bless

(yeah, yeah, V-max in the fireforming one......hey they were FREE lol)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Steve692; 02/26/12.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Seafire

You need the Hornet version.

Travis

IMHO, the "hornets" are just WAY more efficient (that alone makes for a VERY interesting round), quieter (us olf farts dont get off on the WHAM anymore after long range sessions and also dont honk off the EVER over congesting population nearby ........as much) and for me, I have very little need for a varminter past 300, or predator rifle past 150 (normally less here in IN with a call....heck, 100 is "rare".

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with bigger case capacity....if you have a use. I just dont (at least that is my opinion for now. Gun nuts find reasons to buy stuff!) hehe

God Bless

Waste not, want not.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.