Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I ran across a Ruger M77 MKII varmint model in .223 a while ago and ended up buying it since so many of you said it was too good of a deal to pass up. Do you know if these rifles have the 1 in 9" twist? The rifle is in excellent shape and is sitting in bedding compound right now as we speak. I've adjusted the trigger but it still isn't as light as I like. I've always heard these things are super accurate but the only experience I've had with them is a fellow at a local shooting match murmering something like "I'll cut the X-ring out of the target" with this thing (Needless to say, it didn't happen that way). His was the 308 varmint model and it's funny, my sporter weight Hawkeye 308 is much more accurate than what that rifle was......I really like this rifle and I've been eyeballing them for a while now and finally took the plunge. Let me know what your experience is with this particular rifle, thanks.......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can ship it to me, I will run some rounds through, then tell you my experience with one. wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny, isn't it past your bedtime....Oh I forgot, you don't have school tomorow... grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
if it is like the older ones, its got a one in 12 twist...

they are good rifles.. I ran one 15,000 rounds, and only let it go since I got such a good trade in price for it..

ran into the guy that had bought it at the range a year later, and he had put another 2,000 rounds thru it and it still turned in a group that you could cover with a quarter at 100yds, using H 335 and shooting 55 grain Ballistic tips..

the other one I have, has only about 4,000 rounds down its barrel, but it is very accurate and unfinicky to load for..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had one in .25-06 that is high on my list of "Rifles I sure wish I had never let go."

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have 4 of them 220 swift, 243, 2506, 308 all are very accurat.
my 308 put 10 shots 168 btips in 1/2 group

Last edited by LASSIE; 02/26/12.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't like the plywood beavertail stocks. popped mine into a walnut sporter......they be shooters.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of the transition models, with the blued action and SS barrel, .220 Swift. I just (finally!) bought a scope for it, but still haven't shot it yet (damn this out of town work!). I have high hopes for it!

[Linked Image]

Heck, I should send it out East and let you get it figured out!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KDK, I've never seen a transition model like that. Nice rifle though...Does it have the factory adjustable trigger?

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I just bought one in 25.06 used. They didn't call it a Varmit, but a MKII target rifle. My plan being to rebarrel to 6.5-284/284 or 6.5-06 and use it to play at some longer ranges.

I think it had a worked trigger as my guage says 9-10oz. I have never seen so much copper in a bore, but its clean now and as I have dies I will go and see how it shoots before rebarreling. (always a smart move to shoot the donor:)

I find it odd that I have seen a couple on used racks and they have never been bedded,although they are factory floated. I was planning on floating after the rebarrel.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by noKnees
I just bought one in 25.06 used. They didn't call it a Varmit, but a MKII target rifle. My plan being to rebarrel to 6.5-284/284 or 6.5-06 and use it to play at some longer ranges.

I think it had a worked trigger as my guage says 9-10oz. I have never seen so much copper in a bore, but its clean now and as I have dies I will go and see how it shoots before rebarreling. (always a smart move to shoot the donor:)

I find it odd that I have seen a couple on used racks and they have never been bedded,although they are factory floated. I was planning on floating after the rebarrel.

The assumption the factory has is "they don't need to be bedded because of the unique angled recoil lug". I've always seen a noticable improvement in accuracy with these ruger m77 mkII's and Hawkeyes being bedded. I bed all of mine now before I even shoot them, just part of getting them ready for field work.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
KDK, I've never seen a transition model like that. Nice rifle though...Does it have the factory adjustable trigger?

the 223 I spoke of in my earlier post was one like that.. first year 'test the waters' version..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool guys. Just took it out and did a little shooting with it. I don't like the trigger!!!!! I've always honed and polished the regular MKII triggers and replaced the springs with lighter ones. What's the trick to these adjustable ones? I understand they are 2 stage but I'm not liking it.....I've adjusted it as per instructions and it still seems a bit heavy. Is this normal. Thanks again guys....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the Ruger site list the .223 as a 1:9 twist.
but you could aways run a tight fitting patch down the bore and check it for yourself.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 02/27/12.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK
I have one of the transition models, with the blued action and SS barrel, .220 Swift. I just (finally!) bought a scope for it, but still haven't shot it yet (damn this out of town work!). I have high hopes for it!

[Linked Image]

Heck, I should send it out East and let you get it figured out!

That is one fine looking rifle. Years ago I ran across one just like it on consignment at the local gun store. I wanted it so bad but had some heavy bills at the time and just couldn't swing it. I liked everything about it.

Terry

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it was just a one year run. I desperately wanted a .22-250, but couldn't find one, so I grabbed this at my buddy's uncle's gun shop in Verboort, OR.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
I think it was just a one year run. I desperately wanted a .22-250, but couldn't find one, so I grabbed this at my buddy's uncle's gun shop in Verboort, OR.

I've been to that shop. I was at a trap shooting comp there and checked that little shop out grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
the Ruger site list the .223 as a 1:9 twist.
but you could aways run a tight fitting patch down the bore and check it for yourself.

Thanks, I think you are right. I was shooting some 64 grainers in it yesterday and they were pretty damn accurate.....They were my worked up load for my 1 in 9" twist Hawkeye so once I start working up loads for this one it should do much better....

BSA MAGA
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by KDK

I've been to that shop. I was at a trap shooting comp there and checked that little shop out grin

Yep, it used to be a pretty cool shop, but like a lot of places, the economy has hit it hard. About half the selection of guns they used to have. They had a used Montana .270 WSM for a ridiculous price that I hesitated on... Oops, gone when I went back.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, a little update. I re-adjusted the trigger, really paying attention to the first stage of adjustment of the 2 stage trigger. Now were cooking, it feels much better once it is adjusted properly blush. I bedded the rifle last weekend right after I got it (I'll show a pic of the bedding job). Sealed the barrel channel with a light coat of tru-oil and threw my Bushnell elite 3200 5-15x40 scope on it until something better comes along. Anyway here's the rifle (I know it looks just like any other target/varmint Ruger m77 mkII rifle out there). I shot it last sunday and I put my other rifles (my friends now) pet load in it to see how it would do and shot 10 into an inch at 100 yards. These loads arn't tailored to this rifle so accuracy will improve immensely when the bullet doesn't have to jump .080" to the lands blush:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry, no pics of targets yet. Need to develop it's own load and see how accurate she is, but now after adjusting the trigger I think we are good to go

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.