Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I will be taking 1 rifle my .338-06 to SA this Sept. I will be hunting plains game Kudu,Zebra,Gemsbok,Impala, Wart Hog probably Wildebeest and Red Hartebeest also...how many rounds of ammo should I bring? In this caliber it's not likely I will find any in SA. Figure I'll pack half in my luggage and half in my future wife's luggage so it's split in case one of our bags is lost. I'm filling out the 520 form and need to specify how many rounds of ammo

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

BP-B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
40 rounds? Worked for me in Namibia for a 2009 plains game hunt. Came home with lots of ammunition. GRF

M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
You are allowed 60 rounds per firearm. That should be more than enough if you do your part. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two boxes (40 rounds) should be more than enough and hopefully you'll bring home a box and a half. A third box only weighs a couple of lbs and would provide a lot of peace of mind.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two boxes is more than enough. I took that and came home with 30 rounds.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I agree 40 rounds should be plenty.

David Tenney [email protected]
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I guess I'll go with 60 rounds...30 rounds in each bag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always bring 60 just in case I would have a scope malfunction and have to burn some sighting in.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
You think like I do Mike

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I took 40 also....it was plenty.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
40 is plenty, but I am worried about your choce of caliber for this BIG reason.... Do you have ammunition whose headstamp matches the barrel markings on your rifle? I thought the 338/06 was a handloading wildcat round only? Not a problem in Zim, (Just attatch a $20 spot to your paperwork and you could sneak in with a Barret semi auto Model 81 in 50BMG) but if you are hunting in RSA or Namibia you could easily bring 60 rounds and end up having ZERO when you leave the airport.

Rather than worry about how many rounds, and 40 is more than enough, I would advise you to not only make sure that the headstamp and rifle markings match, but that you had ammo for this rifle in SEVERAL DIFFERENT pieces of luggage. Contrary to some unknowing TSA turds, there is no law prohibiting ammo being in the rifle case, and African Regs as well as those in Europe mostly require that this be where the ammo is carried. Usually it is not that big of a deal, but for me it has saved many a hunt to have ammo in the rifle case, in my primary suitcase, in my second suitcase and if travelling with freinds some in thier suitcases as well and some of thiers in mine. This way, when one suitcase does not make a connection, you do not have all of your eggs (ammuition) in one basket (suitcase) and can hunt on.

What country and outfitter are you hunting with?

Last edited by safariman; 02/27/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
All Brass is head stamped .338-06 no problems

South Africa with Wintershoek/Johnny Vivier Safaris

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
we brought 40 rounds for each rifle. my son's scope got out of zero, and we bought some more Hornets in Thimbalezi, but ended up not using them.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Iffn ya'll switch to Burris Posi Lock scopes, they won't ever go out of zero again. I quit bringing back up scopes when I switced my big guns to all posi locks. Just sayin......

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Four rounds per animal is the minimum I would recommend and that includes spares for re-sighting if required. Then round it up to the nearest box.

Some airlines may have their own regulations in regard to the carriage of ammunition. Make sure you check with your carrier. I know that sometimes with a SAA ticket you end up on a Qantas plane and vica versa.

Edit: Does your wife have a firearms license ? I would also check that it is permited for a non licensed person to carry ammunition. The .338-06 will be great for your PG hunt as it duplicates the great .318WR and .333 Jeffery ballistics. Proven performers on PG.

Last edited by Tophet1; 02/27/12.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm with the guys who bring the legal limit, since my wife and I have had three scopes go bonkers in Africa. It's a lot easier to take more than enough ammo than not enough.

I'd also check out the airline regs before splitting the ammo into two pieces of luggage.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I took 60 rounds for my primary rifle and 40 for the backup rifle. Ya ammo needs to be in one hard case that is TSA lockable and in luggage that is also TSA locked.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm with the guys who bring the legal limit, since my wife and I have had three scopes go bonkers in Africa. It's a lot easier to take more than enough ammo than not enough.

I'd also check out the airline regs before splitting the ammo into two pieces of luggage.

Three, eh? Leopolds, by any chance? I quit using them on big game rifles myself excepting my 257WBY, but had three clients lose trophy animals shot at due to Leopold scopes going bad (erector Assemblies in each case) mid hunt after a fall. Leopold fixed them once they got home, but that did not bring back the missed opprotunities. Oops, I am getting the cart before the horse a bit, did not wait for an answer back RE what kinds of scopes went bad on you. I am very curious about it, though. Especially since your experiences in Africa far outwight mine, even if one counts the hunts I have been on vicariously through my business.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't want to start a pissing match but you can keep your Burris and I'll keep my Leupold and not lose a wink of sleep worrying about it failing

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
safariman,

I won't go into the brands because both Eileen and I are apparently bad-scope magnets. I constantly have to tell scope manufacturers that if they want to upgrade their quality control, they should just pick any scope at random and send it to me--especially if it's the first one they've ever sent.

The same thing happened to Eileen when she was the optics columnist for the two years the NRA published a women's magazine. She had six defective scopes.

I will say that only one of the three that went bonkers in Africa was a Leupold--and that turned out to be due to the rings being tightened too much. The owner of the custom rifle company that built Eileen's rifle turned out to be a "farmer tight" guy. On the hunt Eileen replaced the 2.5-8x with a 1.5-5x Leupold I'd brought along as a spare, and as she finished up the same guy told her to "now, really tighten those screws." She refused, and he tried to take the screwdriver away from her. She almost stabbed him with it.

When we got home, she sent the 2.5-8x to Leupold, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's worked fine ever since on more than one rifle. It may be worth noting that the guy who tried to take her screwdriver away claimed that most Leupolds are "bad out of the box."

The other two scopes were a high-priced Euro-scope and a top-notch Japanese-made brand.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.