Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6228284 - 02/27/12 02:18 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: AFTERUM]
safariman Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: All over the place! missing Af...
40 is plenty, but I am worried about your choce of caliber for this BIG reason.... Do you have ammunition whose headstamp matches the barrel markings on your rifle? I thought the 338/06 was a handloading wildcat round only? Not a problem in Zim, (Just attatch a $20 spot to your paperwork and you could sneak in with a Barret semi auto Model 81 in 50BMG) but if you are hunting in RSA or Namibia you could easily bring 60 rounds and end up having ZERO when you leave the airport.

Rather than worry about how many rounds, and 40 is more than enough, I would advise you to not only make sure that the headstamp and rifle markings match, but that you had ammo for this rifle in SEVERAL DIFFERENT pieces of luggage. Contrary to some unknowing TSA turds, there is no law prohibiting ammo being in the rifle case, and African Regs as well as those in Europe mostly require that this be where the ammo is carried. Usually it is not that big of a deal, but for me it has saved many a hunt to have ammo in the rifle case, in my primary suitcase, in my second suitcase and if travelling with freinds some in thier suitcases as well and some of thiers in mine. This way, when one suitcase does not make a connection, you do not have all of your eggs (ammuition) in one basket (suitcase) and can hunt on.

What country and outfitter are you hunting with?

Edited by safariman (02/27/12 02:20 PM)

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

CI16728
#6228405 - 02/27/12 02:54 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: safariman]
dvdegeorge Online   happy
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Western N.Y.
All Brass is head stamped .338-06 no problems

South Africa with Wintershoek/Johnny Vivier Safaris

#6228569 - 02/27/12 03:48 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: dvdegeorge]
Steve_NO Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: New Orleans
we brought 40 rounds for each rifle. my son's scope got out of zero, and we bought some more Hornets in Thimbalezi, but ended up not using them.

#6228591 - 02/27/12 03:53 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: Steve_NO]
safariman Offline
Campfire Oracle

Iffn ya'll switch to Burris Posi Lock scopes, they won't ever go out of zero again. I quit bringing back up scopes when I switced my big guns to all posi locks. Just sayin......

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

#6228732 - 02/27/12 04:26 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: safariman]
Tophet1 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Qld. Australia
Four rounds per animal is the minimum I would recommend and that includes spares for re-sighting if required. Then round it up to the nearest box.

Some airlines may have their own regulations in regard to the carriage of ammunition. Make sure you check with your carrier. I know that sometimes with a SAA ticket you end up on a Qantas plane and vica versa.

Edit: Does your wife have a firearms license ? I would also check that it is permited for a non licensed person to carry ammunition. The .338-06 will be great for your PG hunt as it duplicates the great .318WR and .333 Jeffery ballistics. Proven performers on PG.

Edited by Tophet1 (02/27/12 04:29 PM)

#6228974 - 02/27/12 05:22 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: AFTERUM]
Mule Deer Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
I'm with the guys who bring the legal limit, since my wife and I have had three scopes go bonkers in Africa. It's a lot easier to take more than enough ammo than not enough.

I'd also check out the airline regs before splitting the ammo into two pieces of luggage.

The ultimate concern of a rifle loony is rifle trivia. And why not? What else is as distracting from the really important concerns of everyday life?

#6229012 - 02/27/12 05:30 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: Mule Deer]
MissouriEd Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Between somewhere and nowhere
I took 60 rounds for my primary rifle and 40 for the backup rifle. Ya ammo needs to be in one hard case that is TSA lockable and in luggage that is also TSA locked.

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.

#6229100 - 02/27/12 05:46 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: Mule Deer]
safariman Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: Mule Deer
I'm with the guys who bring the legal limit, since my wife and I have had three scopes go bonkers in Africa. It's a lot easier to take more than enough ammo than not enough.

I'd also check out the airline regs before splitting the ammo into two pieces of luggage.

Three, eh? Leopolds, by any chance? I quit using them on big game rifles myself excepting my 257WBY, but had three clients lose trophy animals shot at due to Leopold scopes going bad (erector Assemblies in each case) mid hunt after a fall. Leopold fixed them once they got home, but that did not bring back the missed opprotunities. Oops, I am getting the cart before the horse a bit, did not wait for an answer back RE what kinds of scopes went bad on you. I am very curious about it, though. Especially since your experiences in Africa far outwight mine, even if one counts the hunts I have been on vicariously through my business.

#6229261 - 02/27/12 06:16 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: safariman]
dvdegeorge Online   happy
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Western N.Y.
I don't want to start a pissing match but you can keep your Burris and I'll keep my Leupold and not lose a wink of sleep worrying about it failing

#6229398 - 02/27/12 06:43 PM Re: How Much Ammo to Bring? [Re: safariman]
Mule Deer Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
safariman,

I won't go into the brands because both Eileen and I are apparently bad-scope magnets. I constantly have to tell scope manufacturers that if they want to upgrade their quality control, they should just pick any scope at random and send it to me--especially if it's the first one they've ever sent.

The same thing happened to Eileen when she was the optics columnist for the two years the NRA published a women's magazine. She had six defective scopes.

I will say that only one of the three that went bonkers in Africa was a Leupold--and that turned out to be due to the rings being tightened too much. The owner of the custom rifle company that built Eileen's rifle turned out to be a "farmer tight" guy. On the hunt Eileen replaced the 2.5-8x with a 1.5-5x Leupold I'd brought along as a spare, and as she finished up the same guy told her to "now, really tighten those screws." She refused, and he tried to take the screwdriver away from her. She almost stabbed him with it.

When we got home, she sent the 2.5-8x to Leupold, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's worked fine ever since on more than one rifle. It may be worth noting that the guy who tried to take her screwdriver away claimed that most Leupolds are "bad out of the box."

The other two scopes were a high-priced Euro-scope and a top-notch Japanese-made brand.

The ultimate concern of a rifle loony is rifle trivia. And why not? What else is as distracting from the really important concerns of everyday life?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
733 registered (10gaugemag, 1jagd, 12344mag, 175rltw, 12savage, 88 invisible), 1706 Guests and 354 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51092 Members
72 Forums
647434 Topics
9303016 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.