Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 300 Win that is a real shooter but at 7 1/4 lbs. scoped, it isn't a lot of fun at the range. I am considering having a muzzle brake installed and was wondering if anyone has done this and then had the gun not shoot as good as it did before the brake was put on?

Thanks

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The muzzle blast will impress fellow shooters, good investment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My primary concern would be my hearing and the blast the brake would make towards others near me.

As it is I am nearly deaf. I have magnums too and I don't want a muzzle brake.

Make sure your rifle has a soft recoil pad such as the Decelerator and hold the rifle with both hands when you shoot it at the bench.

Long ago the 7mm RM was developed because a outfitter/smith found that the most gun his clients could shoot well was a 7mm Magnum.

Also consider loading the 300 down, selling it, getting a 7mm Magnum or even a 270!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have an Ed Brown Damara in .300 Win Mag. It's a light rifle and comes with a brake. Ed states that light magnums shoot better with the brake. I've tried it with and without, the brake is better. It is noisy, but I wear hearing protection and don't shoot next to bystanders. Overall, it works well on this gun.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Ed states that light magnums shoot better with the brake. I've tried it with and without, the brake is better.

I'm thinking it's what people have said for years about noise, recoil, and their effects on accuracy.

It ain't the rifle itself shooting better, it's the shooter being able to do his job with the rifle, better.

Less recoil (assuming that they are wearing appropriate hearing protection for the increased blast), sure makes a guy a "better" shooter. laugh

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It seems, IIRC, that Ed contends the wt. on the end of a light barrel improves accuracy. I agree with what you're saying, too.

The BOSS equipped Browning and Win rifles are said to shoot better than those without the system, something about barrel vibrations and harmonics. Could be a bit of both at work, here.

DF

S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am not looking for personal opinions on the pros and cons of muzzle brakes. The gun is a half inch gun and I don't want to mess it up. I am not recoil shy but it does pound you. It sits in a Mickey edge with a 1 inch Pachamyr. I also have 270's 7 mags, etc. etc.. All I want to know is:

Has anyone had one installed and had accuracy suffer as a result of adding a brake?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think my rifles shot better afterwards. Prolly because I was such a wussy, I didn't ride them as well when they bucked hard on the bench. I've put brakes on a 300 Win 300 RUM and 338 RUM.

My biggest problem withe brakes (besides noise) is that I tend to shoot them too much. It just gets to be fun to smoke stuff at long range without the recoil. I've knocked over a few silhouettes at 500 yds with my RUM's.

Steve

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slammer
I am not looking for personal opinions on the pros and cons of muzzle brakes. The gun is a half inch gun and I don't want to mess it up. I am not recoil shy but it does pound you. It sits in a Mickey edge with a 1 inch Pachamyr. I also have 270's 7 mags, etc. etc.. All I want to know is:

Has anyone had one installed and had accuracy suffer as a result of adding a brake?

If I had a nice long-range rifle and it shot that well, I would change nothing!

Voice of experience talking here... Don't mess with a genuine 0.5 MOA rifle in any way. frown

John

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My 30-378 Accumark has a brake that goes a long way toward taming recoil, and it's probably the most accurate rifle I own. Muzzle blast does get ones attention especially when near any structure or in dense timber.

I've not tested for accuracy without the brake.

Do warn others at neighboring benches prior to lighting one off at the range.

Blast is a non issue for the shooter when one is in an open plain setting.

1Minute
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you have a "true" half-inch gun......not one that has shot an occational good group......I'd not do anything to change things. Hell, I'd be hesitant to even clean it agressively.

Those rifles are a lot more rare than you might think from reading the internet......and I mean consistant half-inch groups, not the best it's ever shot. Anything (bedding, muzzle breaks, new scope mounts, or just tightening the screws differently) can effect this "perfect" balance and should not be risked.

In general, I don't buy into the recoil objections. I do know from talking to others that I apparently don't feel the effect of recoil like some, but rifles less than the truely big boomers (.458 and above) just aren't that harsh. Doesn't mean I look forward to shooting 40 rounds from a bench with a .375 H&H, but it IS tolerable......particularly for the small amout of rounds you will fire in the field.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It did not effect the accuracy of my .338. It was so noisy that I don't use it. I got a threaded muzzle guard for it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I have installed quite a few brakes and have never had anyone come back saying that their rifle shot worse. To answer your question, no.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yes and no..I have a buddy whose 270wsm shot 130gr. bullets before the brake great, after teh brake had to go to the 150's to get the accuracy bad. So we really didn't loose it , just ahd to modify load to make it work. I'm assuming it had something to do with the barrel harmonics of the lengthened barrel.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hawkins
The muzzle blast will impress fellow shooters, good investment.

The muzzle blast will impress the shooters eardrums in so far, they'll probably never return to "zero"....either........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a 300 Win that is a real shooter but at 7 1/4 lbs. scoped, it isn't a lot of fun at the range. I am considering having a muzzle brake installed and was wondering if anyone has done this and then had the gun not shoot as good as it did before the brake was put on?

Thanks

Have you tried a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad?.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Thanks

Good posts both ways, pro and con, muzzle brakes and accuracy.

IMHO, you're going to have to weigh the info, pluses and minuses, and decide what's best for your application. What ever you end up doing, there will be those who disagree. But, it's your rifle... smile

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The installation of a brake shouldn't have any detrimental effect on accuracy. The only real concern is deformation of the bore at the muzzle end by the threading operation. Though this may be a concern, I have never had it happen and I reckon I have installed three or four hundred of the darned things. GD

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I had a rifle that shot that good Out the box,I would not do anything to it but shoot and be happy.
If you do go the brake direction please use ear plugs and muffs.
You will need them.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have had brakes installed on two rifles, a .340 Wby. MKV and a Model 70 SE in .458 Win. The .458 was a good shooter before the brake and remained the same after.

The .340 did not shoot well with 250 gr. Nosler Partitions before the brake, but it did well with 250 gr. Hornady Interlocks and with lighter bullets. After the brake it does well with everything, including the 250 Nosler.

There are no guarantees, but my sample of 2 says that it probably won't hurt.

Personally, however, if I had it to do again, I would have left both rifles unbraked, because the brake didn't reduce the recoil of the .458 very much (although the blast is not too bad), and although the brake dramatically reduced the recoil of the .340, the muzzle blast is nasty.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.