Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just got my Rem 799 NIB 22 H made by Zastava for Rem. I found a GOOD smith, should I leave it or do it into a 22K Hornet?, I have a collet neck sizer, if I need to do some serious yote hunting and reach out and touch them I can use my 257WM!! It is more for just fun shooting and crows, it has a 20" barrel.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a lot of downside for the K Hornet than I can think of.

Another thing to weigh is is the return going to be worth the cost of bumping it to K Hornet. It is a modest gain

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I was just thinking about case life difference and powder capacity, since I have been loading Lil Gun and at 13gr it is a compressed load in the 22H, but have not played with a long drop tube or the spiral funnel trick. Just asking opinions here with people with expertise on the 2. Knowledge is power!! Money helps too!!LOL

Last edited by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI; 02/28/12.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry if my reply came off as gruff. I was trying to post before leaving my office.
Case life is better, I've heard some say that the K is easier to get to shoot- less finicky, it free up case capacity.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
TM,
not a problem and no you did not come off gruff, I remember those days, now semi retired, I have to look at the calendar to know what day it is sometimes!!! The other down side!!!

Thanks,
Bob
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have both. If it was me I would probably not K the brand new 799. The K will not shoot any better and the velocity gains are modest. Sure makes the little case look neat though.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Both of my Hornets (a Ruger no.3 and a Kimber 82 Super America) have standard chambers and if you don't load them to the "gills" case life isn't a factor plus the brass is pretty cheap to start with.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would shoot the donor as is, factory trim, to establish a baseline. If you are not satisfied, then do the K.

If I had a Hornet, I probably would go with the K because it takes headspacing away from the rim and puts it where it belongs, a shoulder.

But I don't have a Hornet because I have something way better -- a FIREBALL.

I'm waiting for MD to chime in here....

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have never had a K Hornet but I don't have any problem with the standard Hornet. Case life is OK. I only size a portion of the neck so it fits the chamber. I have found that inside neck lube greatly reduces case lengthening and the need to trim.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys, I am thinking about leaving it normal for now, I need to really reach out there I have the 257WM. Just keep it simple!!!

Thanks,
Bob
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a Fireball, AND a Hornet grin . If it weren't for the hideous quality of the Fireball brass, it would win, hands down.

But BECAUSE of that poor quality Remington brass, the Hornet gets more play right now, from me, anyway.

On another computer, I've got a pic of 25 Fireball cases with split necks, and they weren't hotrodded, or loaded to multiple times, either. Out of that 100 count bag, I was NOT happy.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My first crow rifle was a 23D Savage in K hornet and I had terrible case life. who ever did the chamber messed it up and I didnt know any better then. Now I have std Hornets and they are great, with the better selection of bullets now available. An Anschutz 1730D and a Brno ZKW465 now have the duty and I am hard pressed to do either justice. Neck sizing the brass is the way to go, I cant remember the last case I lost. It helps in the headspace dept also, not quite a shoulder to shoulder but at least a tighter fit in the chamber.

I concur on the crap remington brass, its not isolated to the
fireball case at all!!

NRA Benefactor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
522 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.