Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
TRH, I'm trying not to get jump all over yer azz over this deal, but your persistence in trying to justify your concern/alarm/actions/whatever just begs a good beating.

The ONLY thing you have said that I could agree with in any form is that you were not in Condition White in the grocery store. EVERYTHING you did after you noticed the guy with the gun was at least wrong, if not dumbphuck stupid.

But rather than just being mean, I'll offer you an alternative scenario based on your provisional setting.

Self: Wandering in produce section in Condition Yellow, notices gun on hip of tactically duded-out dude, in clear violation of FL law.

Self's brain: recognizes potential threat, kicks up to Condition Orange. Makes instantaneous decision that this is either a) a bona fide threat or b) not a threat (mall ninja, doofus cop in mufti who forgot he was wearing his gun). Decision: threat or no threat? Your brain knows, based on pattern recognition.

At this point your brain tells you which fork in the road to take. He's either a threat, or not a threat. THERE IS NO THIRD OPTION YOU CAN SAFELY EXPLORE.

If you decide THREAT, Self's brain, eyes, and ears are gonna be gathering and processing information while Self's feet move your sorry ass to a position of cover where you can observe the THREAT and if the situation escalates to Condition Red you can draw your sidearm and open fire.

However, if Self's brain decides NON-THREAT, you move on along about your business, maintaining the usual threat awareness of Condition Yellow.

That's it. Nothing more needs to be done. There are no other tactically viable options.

What YOU did was FAIL TO MAKE THE FIRST CRITICAL DECISION IN A POTENTIAL LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION. You compounded that failure by actually APPROACHING THE POTENTIAL THREAT!!! I cannot tell you how incredibly dumbphuckitudinal that was! If you were in my recruit class and had done that in a scenario you'd STILL be doing pushups today!!

You NEVER move closer to a potential threat unless you have the ability and opportunity to bring OVERWHELMING FORCE to bear before the threat can move against you.

I think you have some legitimate criticism and commentary, there, Doc. I never said I was anywhere near perfect. The only modification I'd make to your post is to say that when I first saw him, I assumed, as most there probably did, that he was a cop, and that once I got up close to him (he was in produce, and that's where I was going) I'd see his badge on display. Now I'm right there, and see that he doesn't have one. Take it from there, if you will.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just did, dude. I'm amazed you're not dead already sometimes, Hawk, I really am.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I just did, dude. I'm amazed you're not dead already sometimes, Hawk, I really am.
I was trying to figure out your attitude here when I remembered you're some kind of a cop, or cop toady. Then it all made sense.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doc it is the fluoride in the water...I'm tellin ya! laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think you're a good guy TRH. You're definitely a little different (basing this strictly on your posts of course), but that isn't always a horrible thing. I think the guy in the grocery store was a PoPo and possibly left his badge elsewhere. It happens.

Some subjects are difficult to discuss via the written word and I think this is one of them. I don't think you were paranoid about anything, I think you were just bringing it up for conversation sake more than anything else. Unless I'm wrong?

I don't think TRH is bat schit crazy, I just think he likes to discuss nuances and hypotheticals more than most.

Travis

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Travis, quit being a voice of reason. That sort of thing forces me to repent my actions.

TRH, I did not mean to call you a dumbphuck. What you DID was dumbphuckitude, but in this context, i.e. trying to encourage discussion of nuances and hypotheticals, I appreciate you bringing it up.

Just next time something like this happens please try to do something more along the lines of the post I put up previously.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's ok he has me on ignore and I DO think he is paranoid Travis... wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am only the voice of reason once a year.

The other 364 days I'm a habitual smart azz and instigator. I'm a lot worse in person. grin

Travis

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
I am only the voice of reason once a year.

The other 364 days I'm a habitual smart azz and instigator. I'm a lot worse in person. grin

Travis
Yes, I noticed that. wink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eh76

Maybe. But we need the paranoid to make up for all the "it's nothing" types.

Ok, I'm getting uncomfortable. I'd like to go back to being an azzhole now. Thanks.

Travis

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Ok, I'm getting uncomfortable. I'd like to go back to being an azzhole now. Thanks.

Travis
You are now cleared for azzholatude for the remainder of the year, Travis.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Travis
You are now cleared for azzholatude for the remainder of the year, Travis.

Thanks Hawk!

Now go [bleep] yourself! grin

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Travis
Well, I wish you would because your post about Hawkeye was one that I agreed with and it almost makes me feel bad about saying mean things to you.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by NH K9
It's legal in NH, though you don't see a lot of folks carrying in that manner. It's too easy to get a concealed carry permit I suppose (hopefully the need to do even that will be gone this year).

I don't care for open carry as I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I could care less if someone else does so. If schit breaks bad and someone is carrying open, that's where the attention will be.

I'm surprised, though, that open carry isn't legal in Florida.

George

great minds think alike. OC is and has been legal in arizona forever. You expect it when elk hunting, in the city not so much. I refer to people doing it as targets. Targets for someone of evil mind, giving me time to get away. Always better to not advertise what you are capable of.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Travis
Remember, it's only paranoia if nothing happens.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Travis
Well, I wish you would because your post about Hawkeye was one that I agreed with and it almost makes me feel bad about saying mean things to you.

I can assure you, I don't give a [bleep] what people think of me.

Except women. I love women.

Travis

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I probably should have clarified in the manner that you did. When I'm working on "The Mountain" (family blueberry fields and the surrounding acreage that is wood lot/hunting/stress relief) I don't bother with concealing anything.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Travis

Be honest.....you only care what they think at closing time. Not so much after they cook breakfast and/or leave a sammich!

grin

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I probably should have clarified in the manner that you did. When I'm working on "The Mountain" (family blueberry fields and the surrounding acreage that is wood lot/hunting/stress relief) I don't bother with concealing anything.

George

Arizona is one of those places where you are best to assume that darn near everyone is packing. Including my 74 year old gramma wife. Someone one while legal to do so, has to have a hogleg on while munching a burger at the local diner, as if to say, "look at me," calls to question mindset.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

Be honest.....you only care what they think at closing time. Not so much after they cook breakfast and/or leave a sammich!

grin

George

If there are any women lurking out there, I want you to know George's quote is a gross generalization and in no way reflects my views. And I love you.

Travis

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,808 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.