Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#6232831 - 02/28/12 04:40 PM Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Northern Florida
Not legal in Florida, so I wonder what he was thinking.

Young guy in his late twenties, I'd guess. Wearing black SWAT style pants tucked into SWAT style black boots. His rig was a black tactical style belt and holster, containing a service sized Glock. He wore a gray tucked in T-shirt that said Special Operations on it. He was about 6'2" and athletic. Looked very much the SWAT type, and seemed stable and unconcerned about being seen open carrying. Oddly, though, I was the only person who noticed, and when I passed him within just a few feet, I intentionally let him know I thought it was odd he was carrying like that by looking inquisitively at his Glock. When he noticed that, he seemed to quicken his pace in collecting the produce he was looking for and moved away at a good clip. I saw the produce manager there and asked him if he knew why that guy was openly carrying a sidearm. He said he didn't see him, but he figured he must have a license or he wouldn't be doing it. I informed him that Florida has no legal open carry. At that he seemed a bit troubled, but not enough to call the cops. I finished my shopping and left.

Anybody know what Special Operations refers to? I figure it's some kind of law, but he was not wearing a uniform or a badge, so the law says he's not supposed to carry openly like that. Not that I wouldn't be happy with Florida permitting that, as I favor legal open carry as an option, off duty cop, or anyone else.
"The Federal Reserve is one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. It has impoverished the people of the United States through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it." -- Congressman McFadden, 1932

#6232860 - 02/28/12 04:45 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: The_Real_Hawkeye]
bankcardrep1 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: 28805
Even where legal it's just asking for trouble. Open carry clearly upsets many people. Why OC unless you are just asking for trouble to find you?

#6232874 - 02/28/12 04:48 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: bankcardrep1]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: bankcardrep1
Even where legal it's just asking for trouble. Open carry clearly upsets many people. Why OC unless you are just asking for trouble to find you?
Hell, if it were legal in Florida, I'd have started up a conversation about it with him. But seeing that it's not legal in Florida, I was a little concerned about it, and was glad I had my Kahr P9 on.
"The Federal Reserve is one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. It has impoverished the people of the United States through the corrupt practices of the moneyed vultures who control it." -- Congressman McFadden, 1932

#6232888 - 02/28/12 04:50 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: bankcardrep1]
NH K9 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: New Hampshire
It's legal in NH, though you don't see a lot of folks carrying in that manner. It's too easy to get a concealed carry permit I suppose (hopefully the need to do even that will be gone this year).

I don't care for open carry as I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I could care less if someone else does so. If schit breaks bad and someone is carrying open, that's where the attention will be.

I'm surprised, though, that open carry isn't legal in Florida.

George
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

#6232896 - 02/28/12 04:51 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: The_Real_Hawkeye]
HugAJackass Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: AL, USA
I'd say you saw one of two possible situations....

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.

Turdlike, by default.

#6232902 - 02/28/12 04:54 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: NH K9]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: NH K9
It's legal in NH, though you don't see a lot of folks carrying in that manner. It's too easy to get a concealed carry permit I suppose (hopefully the need to do even that will be gone this year).

I don't care for open carry as I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I could care less if someone else does so. If schit breaks bad and someone is carrying open, that's where the attention will be.

I'm surprised, though, that open carry isn't legal in Florida.

George
It was legal even without a license, and in fact part of our state constitution, until about 1980, when they introduced state-wide shall issue concealed carry, part of which was an amendment to the state constitution eliminating the right of open carry, and the license forbids open carry.

#6232908 - 02/28/12 04:55 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: HugAJackass]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: HugAJackass

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.
The guy looked so clean cut and "legitimate." Could mean nothing, of course.

What's "Special Operations?"

#6232916 - 02/28/12 04:57 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: The_Real_Hawkeye]
NH K9 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Politics......

I long for the day of simple, Nation-wide carry. No permits, no bullchit. Maybe in my son's lifetime.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

#6232923 - 02/28/12 04:59 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: The_Real_Hawkeye]
NH K9 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted By: HugAJackass

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.
The guy looked so clean cut and "legitimate." Could mean nothing, of course.

What's "Special Operations?"

It could be any number of things, though an off-duty SRT/SWAT type would make sense.

K9 is, technically, "special operations" (we're really special according to some of our detractors). No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.

#6232931 - 02/28/12 05:00 PM Re: Saw A Guy Open Carrying Today In The Grocery Store [Re: NH K9]
The_Real_Hawkeye Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: NH K9
No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.
Maybe I should have drawn on him. laugh

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on 2013 McKINLEYS from CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
598 registered (12344mag, 12savage, 05cummins, 10ring1, 163dm, 60 invisible), 1294 Guests and 347 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50603 Members
72 Forums
637082 Topics
9142309 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.